Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Updates Error 8000ffff.

Any Suggestions? Please I Need Help!Happy
Thanks In Advanced.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Updates Error 8000ffff.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Updates Error 8000ffff.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried This Fix??????

In reply to: Vista Updates Error 8000ffff.

Collapse -
My Problem Generally Is...

In reply to: Have You Tried This Fix??????

I can't check for updates and it gives me the error message 8000ffff.

Any Other suggestion i myself don't feel safe playing around with the registry.

Collapse -
(NT) Two Suggestions Given...Tried The First One?

In reply to: My Problem Generally Is...

Collapse -
(NT) I don't have that one installed it says.

In reply to: Two Suggestions Given...Tried The First One?

Collapse -
(NT) Any Other Suggestions??

In reply to: Two Suggestions Given...Tried The First One?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, You've Given Us Few Clues...

In reply to: Any Other Suggestions??

...Other than: "I can't check for updates and it gives me the error message 8000ffff.", that's all we know about your computer. How much RAM is installed? 32 bit? 64 bit? Basic, Premium, Business, Ultimate,? Is the machine custom built or brand name? Vista preinstalled or did you upgrade to it? Things like that might help..

Installed the "reliability updates" from the link below?:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=259563&messageID=2558157#2558157

In the meantime, since you don't have KB929777 installed, please click on the link below, download it to your desktop, then double click on the file to run it.. See if that fixes the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

If it still fails, see the link below for some other possibilities:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=701956

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Here Is Pc Specs..

In reply to: Unfortunately, You've Given Us Few Clues...

Compaq Presario
250GB DRIVE 7200RPM
32 BIT Home Premnium.
VISTA oem Verison.

anything else you need to know?

Collapse -
oh yah

In reply to: Here Is Pc Specs..

I tried installing that update...
and it said "Not Applicable to You're System"

oh yah i forgot to add i have 3.0GB

Collapse -
"VISTA oem Verison" = Bingo!

In reply to: oh yah

Microsoft reserves some patches from being applied to the OEM version.

I will decline writing over and over why this is so. It has to do with the patch is supposed to be provided by the OEM and Microsoft set it up this way so the OEM maintains control over the OS patch level.

Bob

Collapse -
Which Update? I Suggested Three Downloads..

In reply to: oh yah

Two are "reliability" updates and one is a fix for comps with more than 3 GB or RAM.. If "KB929777" isn't required, did you install the others suggested?

And since you didn't mention trying the multiple suggestions in the third party link I provided, I'll suggest you try them.. Specifically, shutting down the Windows Update Service, then renaming "SoftwareDistribution to Sdold" etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I tried all those links but none of them worked i guess

In reply to: Which Update? I Suggested Three Downloads..

because of the Oem...thingy....Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
microsofts solution

I had the same problem, after days looking the net for a solution i gave up and call microsoft.
After 2 days talking with them (1.30h. the first day and 1.h the second) they told me to format my computer.
That was the official answer for me....
And i am wondering... who tells me that one week from now i wont have the same problem? what should i do then? Format in again?

Collapse -
same problem

In reply to: microsofts solution

i got the problem to but i can't even delete that updat PLAESE HELP!

Collapse -
Same error 8000ffff

I have the new I7 chip, biostar 790 chipset, 3GB of DDR3 and Vista Ultimate. I have already tried uninstalling the Windows update and then reinstalling it...didn't work. I have tried the regedit command line...didn't work. I tried going DIRECTLY to Microsoft Help & Support and downloading there fix...didn't work as well. Vista suggested a fix from Intel that reverted one of the chipset drivers to an older one...that worked upto a point. I was able to get the 1st 64 updates but 8 of them WOULD NOT install. Upon reboot, it said Windows Explorer could not start, therefore leaving me in limbo with no options...*SIDE NOTE* Before I installed that driver, I had 3.26GB of ram. After the driver install and a reboot, I had 2.99GB.

Collapse -
A solution!

reg delete HKLM\Components /v AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

Type this into cmd and hit yes....

After hours of searching and weeks of waiting i finaly found the solution and am now passing it on so others may solve this problem

If you want to know where i found this info check out http://blogs.technet.com/kailash/archive/2007/09/20/windows-vista-autoupdate-error-8000ffff.aspx

for those who dont like links - read below

I ran into this issue when I got a new HP laptop. After going through the setup of the brand new PC, I found that I couldn't run updates. After some escalations, I recieved this fix

reg delete HKLM\Components /v AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

Please note, that the engineers worked through quite a few logs on my machine to get this, so it may not apply to your case. After applying, autoupdate's been working like a charm!

Update: Jan 29/09

Robear Dyer was kind enough to point me to a new KB article that covers this and other fixes. Here?s the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414

July 9/09:

I?ve seen several comments on this command above not working. If so that means this is not the issue you?re facing. Please try the support link form the Jan 29 update. If that doesn?t work, please do get in touch with MS Support.

Have Fun and enjoy!

Craig =)

Collapse -
This is how to fix Windows Update error x8000ffff

this process is for Vista users only, i have vista ultimate and this process worked for me fine.
im not sure if the same process can work for xp, but you can try.

There is a program running on your computer in the background that was previously installed
as a windows update but stops your windows update itself.

I dont know the name of the update that corrupts your windows files but
what it does is block incomming content so you cant use windows update or even do it manually
because it gives you this stupid x8000ffff error code.

if you can find out or figure out which update it is thats installed you can uninstall the update
and you wont have anymore problems as long as you dont update your windows with that same file.
they are all numbers so i dont know which one it is.

this is the process used by ITT tech in canada and it worked for me perfectly 100%
the only thing is this process has to be redone over and over everytime you restart your computer,
like i said until you figure out which update is corrupting your windows file you can then just uninstall it and you wont have anymore problems.

you have to do this "BEFORE" you open up/start/run "windows update"
if windows update is already running and you do this..it wont work.

SO IF YOU STARTED WINDOWS UPDATE ALREADY COPY AND PASTE THIS TO A NOTEPAD AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER THEN FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE.

This is the process they used and I used
=========================================
Press "CONTROL+ALT+DELETE"

your windows task manager will open up
under "IMAGE NAME" you will find 2 possible processes that are causing you this problem

1- IMAGE NAME = Unsecapp.exe
DESCRIPTION = Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application

2- IMAGE NAME = visicom_antiphishing.exe
DESCRIPTION = Visicom media anti-phishing domain adviser (powered by panda security)

right click on "Unsecapp.exe" or It may show to you as "Unsecapp" but in the description it tells you what it is.
anyways right click and end "process tree"

next do the same for "visicom_antiphishing.exe" (if you have it,. if you dont just do step 1)

now apply and exit.. but exit without restart, because if you restart even though you ended The "Process tree"
it will start up again and you will have to do this all over again.
ending the "process tree" just ends the process from running on your computer as long as you are on it..until you restart.

anyways remember you have to do this "BEFORE" you open up/start/run "windows update"
if windows update is already running and you do this..it wont work.

after your done everything I was taught, open up "windows update" and update your computer.
when updates are installed it will recommend you to restart the computer, just dont,
you can always restart later, atleast you know you got the updates so when you restart your computer
it will already be installed, windows update just downloads them for you and auto installs.
it just needs to boot the files thats why it asks you to restart.

if your still on the computer later on in the day and you havent restarted yet and you try to use windows update to update some more updates after you already updated a while ago,
you may get and eror code x8024afff just run a registry cleaner and it will correct the problem and you can still update untill you restart your computer.

hope this helped.

Collapse -
Microsoft error code x8000ffff advance fix

In reply to: This is how to fix Windows Update error x8000ffff

Click Start.
In the Start Search box, type regedit.
In the Programs list, click Regedit.exe.

you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

Find and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS

Right-click COMPONENTS.
Click Export.

In the File Name box, type COMPONENTS.
In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save to save the file to your desktop.
In the details pane, right-click PendingXmlIdentifier, and then click Delete.
If this value does not exist, go to the next step.

In the details pane, right-click NextQueueEntryIndex, and then click Delete.

In the details pane, right-click AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, and then click Delete.

Restart the computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.