Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

vista to xp

by sethbandit / September 1, 2008 4:10 PM PDT

when i bought my laptop,i think i came with vista or maybe they upgraded it there....but now,im trying to install xp but i can't click the install xp button....is there a way for me to remove vista and then install xp?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista to xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista to xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First things first...
by Jimmy Greystone / September 1, 2008 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: vista to xp

First things first... Do you have all the necessary XP drivers for your system? If not, you should stop right now, because you're not going to get XP up and running on that system.

Also, this is going to sound very offensive, but it's not meant to be... Given the level of computer literacy you've demonstrated in this very short message, I would say the odds of you successfully installing Windows are slim. Not necessarily anything to be ashamed of. I'd much rather the doctors of the world spend their time keeping current on medical advances than learning the ins and outs of computers. Same with a number of other vocations.

I'd say you have little chance of installing XP on that system, so I would suggest just learning to make the best of Vista. It's really not all THAT bad, it's mostly just different from XP. Don't think of different in terms of good or bad, simply being, and a lot of things in life are much easier to deal with.

Collapse -
umm
by sethbandit / September 1, 2008 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: First things first...

no offense taken
it's just that vista on my laptop runs slowly and ive tried buying more memory for it but still not fast enough,and yes,i do have the xp drivers

Collapse -
Cant install lower version of windows from higher version
by tpriyan / September 1, 2008 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: umm

Hi,
It is not possible to install windows xp from vista. What u can do is a fresh install of XP but u will lose all settings and installed programs. If ok. do the following

1.) Backup all important files to a CD or DVD
2.) Boot windows from XP cd and make a clean install of xp.
3.) Install all drivers

and

Happy xping!!!!!

Collapse -
yea
by sethbandit / September 5, 2008 2:13 PM PDT

do i have to format the parttiton if i boot directly from the xp cd?

Collapse -
If vista is preinstalled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: yea

Most of the time. Here's why. You find that XP will refuse to install to that.

Collapse -
Are you seeing those words in red?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 11:30 PM PDT

You could save a few posts and the delay by supplying make and model in your first post. Some laptops have no drivers. Some you have to call in for the secret location of the drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Very unhappy with Vista
by LyndaLD / September 5, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

I have a Gateway - good name brand - not sure of its parts and pieces - but its also a 64 bit (I have learned 64 has compatibility issues with most everything - but - I had to go the route many have done - remove Vista (Memory Hog) and return to XP that is a workhorse of programs. One thing one must do is first: strip down the computer and save off all your settings (preferrably on an external hard drive) as well as all your program exe files if you don't have the disk. Uninstall everything, making sure you have the disks or exe files. Pain, but well worth it in the end. Second: after you know you have everything off your system, including emails that not replaceable - such has photos etc, then UNINSTALL Vista - Control Panel - uninstall - everything, then Vista. Then REFORMAT the hard drive, then install XP. My only problem is the compatibility issue of my ATI speakers on the laptop. They are the only thing NOT working. Yes, I've gone to the ATI website, been to DRIVER AGENT website, and gone through a list of things trying to get the speakers back online. XP doesn't recognize the speakers.

WE are not alone when it comes to removing Vista and going back to XP. But I do think - Microsoft was just rushed into sending out Vista - hype and media are at fault here, because VISTA just wasn't ready for public use. And yes, it is a memory hog. Along with the 64 bit and dual core system, Vista can't have any competition - meaning any other programs on the system. I will wait for Windows 7, until then, I just suffer along with everyone else over the loss of my speakers. Who knows, may put new ones in the system (I know, its gonna cost me) and see if that works. Good luck folks, it ain't a picnic. Just remember 15 years ago, we didn't have computers. And the Army was simply testing them back in the 80's - we are still in the dark ages of computing and we have a long way to go.

Collapse -
Most common item? The MS UAA driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

I find it's what most overlook when installing XP to today's hardware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.