Windows 7 forum

General discussion

vista to windows 7

by star_gazer200525 / November 2, 2009 6:56 AM PST

Hi I'm running vista home premium 32bit on a Acer extensa 5602Z
I upgraded the original Ram to 3gb instead of 1gb...
I was wondering if my laptop will run windows 7. and if it will is it worth switching??

any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista to windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista to windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be no problem
by Reg Gazay / November 2, 2009 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: vista to windows 7

I intend to do the same, soon. Going from Vista should be pretty straight forward. From XP, they want you to backup all your programs.
Go to the MS site and download the Windows 7 advisor. When run, it checks your computer and tells you if you can do it.
They say that it is simpler to DL W7 on-line, instead of buying the disks. I need to check on that a little bit more first.

Collapse -
Upgrade Advisor
by jeff_windows_team / November 2, 2009 8:00 AM PST
Collapse -
vista to Windows 7
by zaifu / November 3, 2009 4:40 PM PST

Well, i would like to share something with you guys regarding on UPGRADING from vista. This is for your own sake.

vista home premium 32bit -> windows 7 home premium 32bit OK!
vista home premium 32bit -> windows 7 home premium 64bit NOT OK!
vista home premium -> windows 7 pro NOT OK!
vista home premium -> windows 7 ultimate OK!
vista business -> windows 7 pro OK!

And, the only possible way you can install regarding on "NOT OK" is via CLEAN INSTALL! Take note BACK UP your files before doing that.

Hope this can help you guys!

Collapse -
clean install
by jeff_windows_team / November 4, 2009 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: vista to Windows 7

Many people prefer a clean install anyways, regardless if an upgrade installation is possible. It also doesn't hurt to make a backup of your files, regardless of what type of upgrade you make.

"You only lose what you don't backup."

Collapse -
install
by star_gazer200525 / November 5, 2009 11:27 AM PST

so I can run wondows 7 i downloaded that file thank you....
Now what is a clean install... and what is the best way to go with installing it?

Collapse -
installation instructions
by jeff_windows_team / November 6, 2009 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: install

You can perform an upgrade installation if you go directly from Vista Home Premium 32x to Windows 7 Home Premium 32x. An upgrade installation will keep your files/programs intact, which means you will not have to reinstall all of your programs and re-upload your files.

A clean installation means the hard drive is wiped clean before Windows 7 is installed. Many people prefer this method, but it also means you have to back up your files and re-install all of your programs once you install Windows 7.

For more info consult this link- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Collapse -
one more upgrade scenario
by steve66 / November 6, 2009 11:16 AM PST

I went from vista home basic to win 7 home premium (via download) and it was the easiest install of windows I have ever encountered. and I've installed everything but 3.1, which came pre-installed on an AST machine (remember them?)

Just smooth as silk.

If there's any advantage to a clean install, I haven't seen it. When I booted up win 7 for the first time, everything was there, exactly as I had seen it earlier that night in vista. I'm already seeing that win 7 seems to use less hard memory. And, I gotta admit, since I didn't have Aero in vista basic, I'm really loving the look and feel of it now.

One other feature that hasn't been mentioned much, or enough. That's the problem-solving; i.e., I had an explorer crash tonight (I was trying to open too many video files too quickly, I think), and the solutions box came up and.......explorer restarted.

I agree with a lot of the critics who say that MS really seems to have gotten this right.

steve

Collapse -
(NT) windows 7 will run much better than vista
by charlz99mn / November 9, 2009 11:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Window Stutter
by bmd1020 / November 13, 2009 11:55 AM PST

When I upgraded from Vista (64 bit) to Windows 7, I had to do it four times. I thought it had finally updated perfectly, but when I re-booted my PC, it started blinking. That is, it seemed like it was trying to shut down but couldn't. I finally called the Microsoft Help Line and it was determined that I needed to download a monitor driver update. That worked for the most part, but it still blinks on occasion, though no where near as bad as it did at first. Except for the change to WordPad, I don't really see much difference from Vista. My advice would be, if you really want Windows 7, buy a PC on which it is already installed.

Collapse -
Always perform a Clean Install
by waytron / November 13, 2009 8:07 PM PST
In reply to: Window Stutter

Regardless of what operating system you are upgrading to or from. It you want a fast, clean, trouble free operating system the will give you years of service without annoying little problems, it is always best to perform a full, clean install. Trust me, take the extra time and get it right the first time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.