Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista Temporarily Locks Up When Holding a Key

by jsph27 / May 16, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

I just made a new PC with a buddy of mine, obviously with Vista Home Edition on it. The problem is that when I hold any key down the video freezes, sometimes after 2 seconds and sometimes after 10 seconds and anywhere in between, but only for as long as I hold the key down.

If I move the mouse during this it will reappear where it should, so its like only the video stops. Also, if I hold the key long enough the PC will make that monotonous beep noise, and my mouses buttons get reassigned to weird things. For example, the scroll wheel always gets changed to changing text size.

I've updated drivers on everything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Temporarily Locks Up When Holding a Key
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Temporarily Locks Up When Holding a Key
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Vista locks
by Kees Bakker / May 16, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

- What video (DVD, streaming video, downloaded movie) from what source?
- What program do you use to view the video?
- Can you reproduce the problem on another Vista PC (like your buddy's) or is it unique to yours?

Kees

Collapse -
Vista locks
by jsph27 / May 16, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Vista locks

Im sorry, when I said video I meant anything thats displayed on the screen. I guess the more appropriate thing to say was that the screen itself locks up/freezes. It does this anytime, at the desktop, during a game, a movie etc.

The video card I have is a Geforce 9800 GTX and the processor is an AMD 64 X2 dual core.

Collapse -
Thanks for the explanation.
by Kees Bakker / May 16, 2008 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista locks

That leaves one of my questions: can you reproduce it at another Vista PC?

Are all keys affected (letters, digits, space bar) or only certain ones (like tab or home or the Windows key or the arrow keys that are used in the games)?
I don't really see why somebody would continually press, say, the A while watching a movie, for example.

A first thought is that it's something in the keyboard driver. What kind of keyboard do you have: PS/2, USB, wireless? Make and model? Vista compatible drivers? Latest version of those?

Kees

Collapse -
Vista Locks
by jsph27 / May 16, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

None of my friends have Vista, but I'll look around for someone that does.

Any key I press causes the problem.

I first noticed it when I played Unreal Tournament for the first. I was just holding the 'w' key to move forward and the screen froze. Then I exited the game and reproduced the problem at the desktop.

The keyboard I have is some generic old gateway keyboard, its ps/2. As far as I know the drivers on it are up to date and everything.

Collapse -
(NT) So far, it's a mystery.
by Kees Bakker / May 16, 2008 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Locks
Collapse -
Try a different keyboard ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 16, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Locks

and also check in control Panel to see what your repeat delay AND repeat rate is set to. Try setting them midrange.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?