Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista takes 15 minutes to start up!!

by Ishkuk / November 20, 2007 1:38 AM PST

I have a brand-new system with an AMD Athlon64 X2 3GHz, 4GB RAM, a 500GB Samsung SpinPoint-T (PCPro A-list!), an 8600GT GPU with 256mb of dedicated RAM and two monitors.

Ever since I received my machine (and I have re-installed vista once) I have had a problem with startup. Every time it takes between 14 and 15 minutes (I've timed it - yes, I know I am sad). I have turned on boot log and found that two drivers are failing to load: kbdhid.sys and srv.sys. kbdhid.sys loads about 15-20 lines later absolutely perfectly, and srv.sys loads perfectly the line before it fails.

Both files are in the /Windows/System32/drivers folder.

I am using Home Premium and it loads fine on resume from hibernation/sleep.

I have asked my computer manufacturer (www.eclipsecomputers.com) and microsoft's Knowledge Base (I ain't paying

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista takes 15 minutes to start up!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista takes 15 minutes to start up!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"brand-new" = new warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 3:14 AM PST

Call them up and ask for fix or refund.

Collapse -
I have! (Well, partly)
by Ishkuk / November 20, 2007 3:48 AM PST

I have rung them up and they haven't got a clue what is wrong. I would rather not get them to replace it as I have configured it and installed a quite a bit of software that I would have to de-activate first/it would take an age to re-install (Adobe Design Premium CS3, Firefox and all my extensions, and some programs for which I no longer have the CD etc. etc.). Also, it took the company over 3 weeks to build and test my system (*not* happy) and I don't want another wait. They say it would take 7-14 working days to repair on warranty and, seeing as they said it would take 3-5 working days to build (*sigh*) I don't want another month back on XP with a computer with little software, a useless processor and an eighth as much RAM.

However, if push come to shove, I may have to get them to do something about it under the warranty, but I want to be 100% sure as if I don't diagnose the problem correctly, they could charge me up to

Collapse -
So it's not under warranty?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: I have! (Well, partly)

It was defective on arrival so you may be passing up a chance for them to fix the issue. There are known cases where a motherboard isn't ready for Vista. Is fixing it worth it to you (will you replace the not ready for Vista component?)

-> I'm going to not write about how to properly install Windows. Plenty of web pages on that. Besides I don't see a post from you detailing your every step.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, it is
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:40 PM PST

It is under warranty, but it would take them ages to fix it so I really don't want to send it back to them if I can fix it myself (and I have re-installed Vista already - didn't help)

Thanks anyway,

Isaac

Collapse -
Be happy!
by Me, Myself and You / November 20, 2007 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: I have! (Well, partly)

It isn't taking 16 minutes to boot!

Use your warranty or reinstall Windows.

Collapse -
15 min to boot up Vista
by brandy09 / August 11, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

I had this problem and have carried out everything on this post to no avail, but after kicking the cat and a lot of swearing had an idea and asked a techi friend of mine.

The first thing he did was to check all the connections to the hardware and found one of the power supplies to one of my three hard drives was not making a proper conection, he reconected it and all is ok now.He said always go for the simple things first, chech conections first. Hope this helps someone.

Collapse -
3.25 minutes here
by Dango517 / November 20, 2007 7:16 PM PST

delay some of your services on start up. Like updates and search this will give the other programs time to load before they begin. Choose them wisely and well.

If this doesn't work then follow me down this path. start> in the search box type "msconfig"> right click on "system configuration"> go to the boot tab click it then check mark "boot log" box then restart the system,

Now give it some time (4-12) hours and time it again. Remember you have "Superfetch" in the services now. It is constantly running and tweaking the system so allow some time for this service to do its work.

Collapse -
I have run the boot log
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: 3.25 minutes here

it says that kbdhid.sys and srv.sys drivers are failing to upload, but both load fine elsewhere

I delayed the start-up of the Server service as this is the one that I could find that relied on one of those services, but no help. I'm pretty sure I said this in my original post!

Isaac

Collapse -
do you have windows vista 32 bit or 64 bit?
by Ski_rus12 / November 21, 2007 3:47 PM PST

I think that can make a difference

Collapse -
32-bit
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:43 PM PST

I chose the 32-bit because it is more compatible, but my system is all 64-bit hardware

Collapse -
32bit Vista Ram limit
by Ski_rus12 / November 21, 2007 3:56 PM PST

I just did a quick google search of " Vista 32bit Ram limit"

you might want to see the below it was copied fom this website:

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-32-bit-vista-memory-limits/

I do not know if this is your prob or not but you could try taking out a stick or two?

"Sucks, eh? As you probably read in this post, the ?4GB? maximum memory limit of 32-bit Windows is purely theoretical. In practice, the max memory is something significantly less, equal to 4GB minus your video card memory and the address space allocated to a couple other hardware resourcse. Typically, the realistic maximum memory is somewhere betwee 2.5GB and 3.5GB."

--jono--

Collapse -
So you think that could be the problem?
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:48 PM PST
In reply to: 32bit Vista Ram limit

I bought 4GB RAM because I thought the limit was up to AND INCLUDING 4GB. only 3.01GB show up in the Welcome Centre.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Eclipse Computers will remove a stick of RAM under warranty, but I will try that once the warranty is out.

Thanks for your help!

Isaac

Collapse -
WARNING
by Ski_rus12 / November 21, 2007 4:08 PM PST

OPENING YOUR COMPUTER CASE WILL OFTEN VOID WARRANTY!!!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Ditto
by Dango517 / November 21, 2007 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: WARNING
Collapse -
The stickers on the case say that
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:48 PM PST
In reply to: WARNING

I'm not a complete n00b you know

Collapse -
??
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 6:57 PM PST
In reply to: Max RAM for Vista

That doesn't explain why having the limit of RAM should make srv.sys and kbdhid.sys to go wrong, or am I just not reading properly?

Isaac

Collapse -
ATTENTION!!
by Ishkuk / November 21, 2007 7:00 PM PST

Can I draw everyone's attention to the REALLY IMPORTANT bit of my question:

***How can I turn off the lines where the system fails to start kbdhid.sys and srv.sys/delay them***

I didn't ask about the RAM limit or the warranty!

IT IS THE DRIVERS PART THAT IS MY QUESTION!!!!!

I think I made this clear in my original post, if I didn't, well, I have now!

Thanks for your help!

Isaac

Collapse -
Here are some leads for you.
by Dango517 / November 21, 2007 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: ATTENTION!!

kbdhid.sys is a mouse or keyboard driver or so most of the information on the web says.

srv.sys is a server system problem also referenced from most of the posts on the web.

You should perhaps track down these sources further before attempting to solve the server problem. Vista does have a server in it, Sql Server 2005, express edition. Have you down loaded others? Is your computer a server or a PC?

The mouse keyboard problem maybe fixed quickly by reloading any mouse/keyboard driver you might have on disk??????? Make sure the disk is clean and not scratched before reinstalling. Do a pristine install by not doing a thing on the computer as it installs. No fiddling with the keyboard , no net surfing, etc., etc,, etc., while downloading the driver from disk. Just let the computer/server(?) work exclusively on loading the driver.

References were also made to spyware and viruses mimicking the srv.sys file so run the spyware and anti-virus programs you have, to be sure.

Collapse -
You didn't tell Did you load a Driver: kbdhid.sys, 8/3/2004
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2007 11:35 PM PST

Reviewing similar pleas I see some are installing Logitech or other mouse or keyboard drivers. Since 2004 is pre-Vista why would we expect this to work?

Reload Vista but only use drivers we need (we don't need keyboard, mouse drivers) and reveal what other drivers you installed.

Bob

Collapse -
That was my problem before
by Ishkuk / November 23, 2007 1:16 AM PST

I made vista stop working before, so this time I have re-installed Vista and only loaded:

NVidia drivers for GPU (otherwise Vista don't see it)
and the drivers that Windows Update wants to install

Both kbdhid.sys and srv.sys are "(C) Microsoft Corporation"... and it's file version is 6.0.6000.wxyz and are part of the product "Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System", so it's Microsoft's drivers that are wrecking my system, sheesh!

Isaac

Collapse -
Sometimes it's the driver "after" the one you think.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2007 3:22 AM PST

There was a really old issue with machines and the screen would display a message like "Etherboot..." Many would fixate on that message as the cause and ask how to remove Etherboot since it was the cause of the issue. Sadly it was really the next message or device that was hung up so owners always went in the wrong direction of research.

I have yet to find the file to give grief UNLESS the USB keyboard or mouse was doing something odd like having USB MSC capability. There was also that owner that had used the front USB ports but the case was the bad old USB 1.1 wiring. That was trouble double since a lesson in electronics was required to get them to replace that wiring.

Somewhere there is a misfire but if it is your keyboard then try another and then swap the mainboard out if it has the latest BIOS.

Bob

Collapse -
Vista activation and validation
by Dango517 / November 23, 2007 4:42 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm showing errors in the downloaded programs file
by Dango517 / November 23, 2007 5:11 AM PST

portion of Vista.....Java, adobe, activeX, etc.. You can check them here....enable desktop on toolbar> computer> C Drive> windows> downloaded program files> right click open> enable status in columns> here I see many damaged programs, more then half of them. This has something to do with an bad installer. I haven't a solution at this point just a very good idea where the problem is. There are many installers within Vista. If you would check these I would be appreciative.

Collapse -
Aha!
by Ishkuk / November 23, 2007 6:32 AM PST

Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0 (times 3!) Status: Installed, and this is Unknown:
Name/ID: {8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C}
Created/Last Accessed/Status: Unknown
Type: ActiveX Control
Total Size: 4,096bytes (4 KB)
CodeBase: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/ultrashim.cab

Depends on "*" Size: "Damaged"

Version 1.0.0.24
Description/Company/Language/Copyright: <unknown>

That's it's properties (everything!). I so hope this is a problem - uuh, should I?

Thanks

Isaac

Collapse -
To view status
by Dango517 / November 23, 2007 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Aha!

Once your at the downloaded programs file> right click, choose open. Within the window any were on the columns listing, above your files> right click choose status. This will create the status field. Now click the check mark next to the status field. Two boxes will appear installed and damaged, Click damaged. Those your seeing are damaged. Now click installed and all downloads will appear.

Your on your own from here.

This thread untracked.

Collapse -
Windows is activated
by Ishkuk / November 23, 2007 6:22 AM PST

Windows is fully activated/legitimate etc.

NB: "I am not a total n00b"

Thanks anyway,

Isaac

Collapse -
I and others are having problems with these.
by Dango517 / November 23, 2007 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Windows is activated

If it's not activated properly and validated properly this creates a number of problems throughout the OS and on the web, especially with up dates and downloads..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.