Windows Vista forum

General discussion

VISTA SUCKS! I HATE IT! WHOEVER DESIGNED IT>>

by parrotluver1 / December 24, 2008 2:52 AM PST

WHOEVER designed vista musta been high on drugs! i have recently got a a mediacenter p.c on ebay a h.p m8300f with vista and vista is an absolutely stupid oprating system! x.p which i still have on 2 other p.c.s
is so great! and easy to use! vista asks for conformatoin on everything you do! i donload pics and they don,t show up as pics! look like a monitor pic! and when i download anything else it does,nt automatically go to my desktop where i would want it to go! i gotta search for everything i download! it really is a ******** operating system! in my opinion! it's a joke! but the p.c is awesome a 640gb H.P AMD ath X-2 m8300f 6000 3.0 gigs 3gb ram AND and an awesome price it is like brand new! was a demo! i love it but not the vista! yuk!
happy holidays to all**

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VISTA SUCKS! I HATE IT! WHOEVER DESIGNED IT>>
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VISTA SUCKS! I HATE IT! WHOEVER DESIGNED IT>>
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I do so get tired of this
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2008 3:46 AM PST

I do so get tired of this kind of message.

For one, people made all the same arguments about XP when it first launched. It's different, it's slow, it sucks, etc, etc. Since XP has been with us for the better part of 10 years now, people have had time to get used to it and systems have had time to catch up with the rather high demands of the Luna UI system... From the standpoint of integrated graphics circa 2001.

Most of your incoherent rant really sounds like it's just user error, starting with buying a used HP system.

But in the end, you really need to ask yourself why anyone out there really cares about your opinion. Not trying to be mean or rude, just honest. Just because I can put up a blog doesn't mean people are going to be hanging on my every word. Who am I that you, or anyone else out there in Internet land, should give a flying crap what I think or say?

Anyway, I'd say your problem is less about Vista and more that you are afraid of change. If you accept that Vista is going to do things differently, it's not that bad. It's not that great either, but it occupies that happy middle area of mediocrity. Some things are better, some things are worse, but mostly it's just different. If Microsoft planned to stick it out with Vista as long as they did with XP, by the time Windows 7 came along you'd be hearing the same tired arguments all over again. It's slow, it does things differently, it sucks, etc.

Life is about change - learning to cope with and adapt to changes that occur both to you and your surroundings. You have a choice when you get down to it. You can whine and pout like a 4 year old, or you can just accept that things change and you need to change with them. Whining and pouting won't stop the world from changing either, it just makes it that much harder to adapt.

Collapse -
Vista is massively unpopular.
by wexfordpress / December 24, 2008 5:15 AM PST

I bought a refurbished HP Pavilion with Vista and got it up and running. I heard bad things about Vista but I thought I would at least give it a try before installing something else. The combination of the touch pad mouse and Vista is challenging to say the least. And booting it with all the upgrades and patches MS keeps sending down the wire is slower than any other OS within my memory (mainframes and super minis excepted of course.)

I slowed the mouse pad down so it wasn't so jittery. But it is still a delicate operation to find and click on what you want. There is no useful manual of course but that is par for the course for commercial software these days.

I use Linux on my main machine and when I am able to get my wireless LAN to work on the laptop under Linux I will be abandoning Vista. This will be my wife's machine and fussing with antivirus software, downloads etc. will be more trouble than I want to burden her with.

I also have a Win XP partition on this my main computer. I used to have Win 2000
but the install disk got scratched. Either is more user friendly than Vista.

My step-son stopped by Sunday and saw the Vista logo up. "I hate Vista" he said.
That seems to be a common reaction.

If I can't get the wireless network to work with Linux I will downgrade to XP.
The virus risk will still be there but at least the interface will be more useful.

I am no Luddite, but I prefer things that work well to things that are mysterious and flakey. Hopefully this will be my first and last post to this forum.

John Culleton, CDP

Collapse -
Yeah and?
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2008 6:08 AM PST

Yeah, and if Microsoft spent more time just fixing bugs and tuning performance, not adding new features, people would be complaining about that.

No matter what Microsoft does, people are going to complain. It's just human nature. Apple gets to put up with the same thing. They move something one pixel and they will get people waxing on about how the world is ending.

This user friendly stuff is garbage. It's dumbing down, plain and simple. I wish they'd focus more on making the interface intuitive rather than designing for idiots.

Bonus points though for the Luddite reference. Don't see enough Luddite references these days.

Collapse -
People have said virtually the SAME THING ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 24, 2008 4:52 AM PST

about EVERY version of windows as well as each new version of Apple's OS, Amiga, and even Linux and believe it or not there were similar comments when DOS was released to replace CP/M 86 for Intel chips and CP/M 68k for Motorola chips.

It usually boils down to the simple fact that the USER is expecting to be able to do everything exactly the same way as they have in previous versions and generally the user is unwilling to accept and learn the differences. After they do actually learn the new OS it becomes "the greatest and easiest to use" OS mentioned in their complaints when a replacement OS is released.

Learn the OS and learn how to "customize" your version to operate more like you prefer (UAC for instance can be modified or even turned off if you would rather complain about security).

Collapse -
vista is different
by B123456H / December 24, 2008 6:20 AM PST

and i have noticed as well

but i have come to love and accept what it has to offer

maybe you are the one high on drugs...

default download locations aren't the quite the same in xp-

try firefox instead it automatically puts downloaded files on the desktop.
go here
www.firefox.com

Collapse -
Or you can...
by glenn30 / December 24, 2008 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: vista is different

"try firefox instead it automatically puts downloaded files on the desktop.
go here
www.firefox.com"

designate any other place you wish downloads to go. I set up a special folder named "My downloads" where all downloads go. My reason is most of these are software or things I may need again... so they are all in one place. Firefox is a flexible browser.

Glenn

Collapse -
RE:vista sucks i hate it!
by parrotluver1 / December 26, 2008 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Or you can...

i do use firefox3 and no script!I need to learn how!stop useless things that are bogging it down! but one thing i don,t get is my pictures i download all show up as a monitor look instead of the pic!that doesn't make sense!

Collapse -
usless or needed
by B123456H / December 26, 2008 3:49 AM PST

that is the question

if you have an audio card and graphics card, those are needed

a normal vista installation should only run 55 processes max 48-50 idle

how many processes are currently running on your machine? i'm going to guess 80

Collapse -
RE VISTA SUCKS!
by parrotluver1 / December 28, 2008 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: usless or needed

i,ve trimmed it to 48 processes but 1 question how can i make pictures i dowload appear as pictures insted of a monitor? i wanna see the picture! that is a feature i don,t understand! i do see vista is more secure! and it still
has bugs! but so does x.p

Collapse -
Re: pictures
by Kees Bakker / December 28, 2008 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: RE VISTA SUCKS!

Can you explain what you mean with "how can i make pictures i download appear as pictures insted of a monitor"?

Kees

Collapse -
re: VISTSA SUCKS!
by parrotluver1 / December 26, 2008 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Or you can...

i know all about fire fox been using it for years! it is very flexible! and i have found flashgot to be very helpful with my downloading!options!

Collapse -
Vista is no good
by koolkomp / December 24, 2008 3:54 PM PST

Vista is quite heavy. I has it on my laptop earlier and it started giving me troubles so i had to shift back to XP. Waste of time and money I must say!!

Message was edited by admin, to remove signature link promotion which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
There is a learnig curve
by Dango517 / December 25, 2008 6:07 AM PST

Those nagging UACs can be disabled in user accounts, see "turn user account control on and off."

Vista has a a very good "help and support" function, use it. A search of "files and folders" might be a good start.

Hint, to get those photos to your desk top ..... up there on the top next to those little arrows <- -> there is a colored folder, between it and your name is a down arrow, click it.

Just think how difficult it would be if you skipped an OS, say, waited till Windows 7 was released.

I do wish they would have left the names alone thou. Continuity with file names between OS should be maintained.

I've been using Vista for nearly a year and a half and would never return to XP. Vista is very stable and secure, something XP is not.

This thread untracked.

Collapse -
Leaning Point
by mkfarnam / December 25, 2008 6:42 AM PST

I would think that "conformation" issues would be in your "Security settings"
But that's my opinion.

I've heard that Vista was having problems when it first come out(as expected) And was constantly being sent back to the drawing board.
That's what I'm looking for, the original problems(not user) and how much better it is now. This is for my person use.
I have a Demension 4600/XP. I'm very happy with it,(after learning the features and how to use and navigate them) but I just ordered a....... [Dell,Inspiron 530, "Intel

Collapse -
maybe
by B123456H / December 25, 2008 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: Leaning Point

you can install any o/s on any computer, but to make it usable, you need drivers...

i got lucky with a dell laptop because the drivers were backwards compatible with xp and vista.

Collapse -
Take a valium already!
by rat pack / December 25, 2008 1:45 PM PST

I am very new to computers. I have never used any version of Windows older than XP SP2. Yet being "PC Challenged" I have used Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on my work laptop and home pc since the first day it was released with no major problems. I did not even have the dreaded audio driver problem with early 64 bit Vista! In fact I have two 10 yr old audio editing programs designed for XP 32 bit that work perfectly on 64 bit Vista! If a noob can do this??
Over time I have become very skilled at working with Vista and have helped many XP holdouts jump to Vista.
That being said, your opinion is one I have heard from every single one of those XP users. They b*tch and b*tch about vista, it doesn't do this,it doesn't do that, this doesn't work and of course Microsoft Sucks. In the end it almost always comes down to "Operator Error".
Almost all never bothered to read anything. Who needs instructions?
I can't tell you how many people bought Vista Ultimate then tried to install it on a 4 or 5 year old computer (can you say Vista Upgrade Advisor?) or bought a Dell PC with Vista from Best Buy for $500 to run video games like Crysis DX10 version. Then when it didn't work it was all Microsoft and Vista's fault.
I am not defending Microsoft, they do more than enough stupid stuff to deserve critisism, but Vista is not bad if you know what your doing.
If Microsft could make an OS that was "Idiot Proof" I am sure they would. But then one of the idiots would just drop IQ points so they could complain about Microsoft again. It is very similar to Bush derangement syndrome!
My point is this: log off your Warcraft account and read a book on Vista. Better yet! Try actually reading some of threads where you complain about Vista! The answers to most of your problems are probably already there. Most people are very willing to help!

Collapse -
VISTA SUCKS! I HATE IT! NOW > I TOOK A VALIUM
by parrotluver1 / December 26, 2008 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Take a valium already!

I TOOK SOME VALIUMS! LOL AND I,M BUT! i,m getting use to it! it really is not that user friendly!for P.C USERS! like x.p but i,m not a novice with a p.c.BUT I HAVE NOTICED VISTA IS duplicating alot OF FILES! AND IT'S running a lot of needless tasks IN THE BACK GROUND! THAT I NEED TO LEARN WHICH ONES I DON,T NEED! I HAVE DISABLED MOST START UP ITEMS! BUT EVEN WITH FIRE FOX3 AND THIS P.C BEING A h.p AMD ath,X2 m8300f,6000 3.0gig,3gb,ram vista premium! it isn't running nearly as fast as my h.p amd ath,x2,2.4,gig.4gb,ram just too many dups and unneeded tasks i gotta explore! i agree with what your saying! i,m just kinda bummed*it's a faster cpu and faster ram! but like i said needless stuff! running and duplicating!SO that is what i need to learn is what i can fix to make it run at top speed! i wanna switch to 64 bit but don,t know how! gotta read! i did order 2gb,more ram bumping to 5gb but on a 32 bit might be a waste! thanks! MR. VALIUM**

Collapse -
calm down
by B123456H / December 26, 2008 3:51 AM PST

you are still flipping out about minor issues.

defrag the hard drive (use the program at the address below)
http://www.kessels.nl/JkDefrag/index.html

i've reviewed that hp machine, its really really fast

duplicating alot of files? where? i've used it for 2 years now and havent seen anything that related to double sets of files...

Collapse -
Vista duplicating files
by VistaChallenged / December 29, 2008 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: calm down

I to am having issues with Vista creating duplicate files. I've been trying to reorganize my files using windows explorer. I select the files I want to move right click select "cut" then move to the new location, right click selct "paste" and the files/folders paste Ok so far. The problem is the files I "cut" are still in thier original location along with the ones I just pasted to the new location. Other times the files will be moved but empty folders are still in the original location.

I've used windows explorer to manage files and folders. This is where I select files that I haven't accessed in a while and are no longer on the Office applications frequently used file list.

Collapse -
Odd...
by John.Wilkinson / December 29, 2008 11:17 PM PST

Try this:

1.) Instead of right-clicking and selecting Cut, try pressing Ctrl + X as the right-click shortcut may just be corrupt.
2.) If that fails, try dragging-and-dropping them from one Explorer window (original folder) to another (destination folder).

Let us know how that goes.
John

P.S. The empty folder is often left if the directory it is being copied to already has a folder by that name, causing the contents to be merged.

Collapse -
RE:vista sucks i hate it!
by parrotluver1 / December 26, 2008 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Take a valium already!

consider this! there are 3 different versions of vista!basic,premium!which i have! and ultimate! so it's more about learning how to stop unneeded running tasks!

Collapse -
?
by B123456H / December 26, 2008 4:35 AM PST

you lost me at the line 'its more than learning about how to stop unneeded running tasks'

Collapse -
What does one have to do with the ohter?
by Jimmy Greystone / December 26, 2008 4:52 AM PST

What does one have to do with the other? I don't see the connection between running processes and the different versions of Vista marketed by Microsoft. It's even less coherent than your original message.

Collapse -
How to stop unneeded tasks.
by Kees Bakker / December 26, 2008 4:59 AM PST

That depends on how they are being started. Just turn that off.

Kees

Collapse -
by B123456H / December 29, 2008 12:34 PM PST

just an fyi to all

i have reviewed windows 7 (vista's twin/sp3)

it runs pretty smoothly and it responds/runs more effectively than vista, but isn't quite what all the hype says.

if you want to know more, just let me know

Collapse -
Service pack download.
by mkfarnam / December 29, 2008 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: 7

I'm getting a new PC with Vista premium, SP1. Can I download SP3 or the latest SP or does this need to be done simutaniously? 1-2-3

Collapse -
Just the latest...
by John.Wilkinson / December 29, 2008 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: Service pack download.

The latest service pack always includes all of the updates found in previous service packs, so you only need to download and install the latytest one.

For Windows XP, that is SP3.
For Windows Vista, that is SP1 with SP2 due out early next year.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thread Locked...
by John.Wilkinson / December 30, 2008 5:50 AM PST

As this thread adds no value and is currently attracting merely inflammatory responses it is now locked.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?