Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista startup problem.

by aaron_minjoot / May 19, 2010 2:43 AM PDT

Hello.

I have a Acer Aspire M5641 with Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) OS.
Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz
2.00 GB Ram
512MB Nvidia Geforce 8600 Video card

Have owned this PC for a year and a half, and used System Recovery on it a few times after some problems with software and viruses. But now a new problem has come up: start up takes more than 20mins, and some times doesnt start up at all. Plus some occurrences of it suddenly freezing while in use.

For the startup problem, it always makes it through to the Windows loading page with the green moving loading bar. But there is always where it stops. Sometimes the loading bar will be moving for some time and after 20mins plus, will finally load. Other times, it just continues showing a moving loading bar. And lastly, it can also freeze with the loading bar immobile. When the loading does stop and nothing seems to work, I will power off my PC at either the ON button or the mains.

I tried starting the PC with Safe Mode, but out of all my attempts only ONCE did it work. I used System Repair for almost all my tries to start up but it only works for less than half the time.

One option which did work (as in, right now) was using the Launch Last Working Configuration option which appears after pressing F8 at the startup screen when I on the PC.

Sometimes when startup is miraculously successful, it only takes a few clicks until the entire PC hangs/freezes, no programs work, even the media player playing music jams and sound like a broken radio.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the registry, or are there any viruses infecting it although my antivirus doesnt detect anything. The problem only surfaced after I tried downloading a huge 1.2 GB software file from the internet with many failed attempts; one attempt did make it through but the installer was corrupted. After the failed downloads I use a software called CCleaner to delete temporary internet files and then used its Registry Cleaner as well as part of the normal routine. However, this time, I received more than usual amounts of registry errors; I used the "Fix All" option to just clear all the issues.

I hope someone can help me on this as I am very reluctant to go to the shop and get it examined.

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista startup problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista startup problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can bet a shop is to be avoided.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista startup problem.
Collapse -
Video card defect?
by aaron_minjoot / May 23, 2010 11:42 AM PDT

I've searched online for the defect but the ones I saw are issues relating to laptops, whereas mine is a desktop PC.

Could it be a hardware issue or a software one? As in, the card itself or drivers?

Additionally, what other causes besides video card issues can cause my problem?

Reply appreciated, thank you.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2010 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Video card defect?

I leave you to sort this out as I have given you my best idea. This chip model is failing in desktops as well as the laptops and to avoid a shop was a goal here. That's why we swap out what I've been seeing fail.

Maybe a shop would be best if swapping parts at home is not acceptable?

Why would it be the drivers? Didn't it work when you got it?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by aaron_minjoot / May 24, 2010 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Ah well the driver software had some small malfunction at one time but I got that fixed up.

Anyhow I guess I'm taking it back to the shop for the check as its still under warranty. If they say its no big deal I'll just go for 2nd opinion.

Thanks for all the help mate Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?