Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista SP1

Hi,

My Windows Vista keeps popping out that Windows Update on the taskbar. When I checked what kind of update is available, I found out that it's Vista SP1. Is it worth updating to Vista SP1 or better wait a little bit?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista SP1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista SP1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update now...

In reply to: Vista SP1

I did this some time ago without any issues. Clean up the hard drive by removing temporary and other junk.

Tell us how it goes!

Glenn

Collapse -
i tried vista sp1

to me i don't see now difference except it is a little bit faster but no difference at all they say it have more deriver but there are no difference just in some things it don't select my flash as ready-boost flash any more and my ram is more i have a built in graphic card so it take a lit bit of the ram so my ram is 448 mb instead of 512 and vista said that after the update it say it is 512 mb in my computer but in the system is 448 again that is what it did to me

Collapse -
That's because

In reply to: i tried vista sp1

That's because it's a service pack, not a new version of Windows. Service packs are collections of updates, NOT new features. Every once in awhile Microsoft will include a few very small added features to a service pack, but as a general rule, the desired outcome is to see absolutely no change with service packs.

Collapse -
Always update

for security reasons.

Collapse -
not all updates

In reply to: Always update

some updates don't do any thing except slowing the computer and other do but something little and aslo slow the computer but anti-virus updates is important but SP is not just a update for example vista sp1 detect more devises than vista and it is faster than vista but other updates slow the computer and don't do any thing for other example i had installed all vista updates my computer didn't stop loading for 1 hour and it make no differnec to me and thank you

Collapse -
Okay.

In reply to: not all updates

In answer to everything, bottom line is to install updates from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Vista SP1 keeps trying to install

I have Vista Business and when I get notified of updates being available every time it shows SP1 as being available and that it needs to be downloaded and installed. When it automatically downloads and attempts to install it says it will take about an hour, the install begins to run and lasts about a minute or less and says it has completed. The next time I check updates it still is telling me that SP1 needs to be installed. Has anyone else run into this weird problem? I am trying to get this installed so that I can maintain my applications and settings when I upgrade to Win 8 in October. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.