General discussion

Vista slow Startup probelm

I just upgraded to Visa from XP and have a serious startup problem. When I startup into normal mode it takes 15 minutes to load and run. I spent 3 hours with Microsoft and nothing was found wrong. No driver conflicts or hardware issues. Running in full Areo mode. I spoke with the Video Card company and they have heard of the issue but could not fix the problem. It's not a video card issue. My system works fine in Safe Mode and starts quickly. Any suggestions or known file conflicts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista slow Startup probelm
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista slow Startup probelm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Regarding the Slow Start Up

Hello,

I recently oredered a HPdv6500t and I have 2G of Memory with Intel 2.0 Ghz Core Duo processor.

However I have the same problem. My computer starts prettty slow. I have called tech support and Ran few tests such as memory test and akso reset the windows back to the first boot. Still the windows take a minute and a half to load after the welcome page.

I think the best idea is get help from someone who specializes in Vista and knows really how to trouble shoot it.

Please help is anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you.

- Collapse -
Let's compare notes.

I don't have the exact model but an Acer with 1G RAM, some 4200 RPM hard disk (what's yours?) and the 2.0 GHz Core Duo. My boot time is about one and a half minutes to where I can launch Firefox. But I don't have Norton. Just one of our forum alternatives. I also turned off Aero.

Most of the boot times I see are self inflicted with those AV suites.

Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry I may have measured a Resume from hibernation.

But since that's pretty fast, that's what I use.

Bob

- Collapse -
Just retested. Just a bit faster with full reboot.

But I don't have Aero, UAC, any Widgets. Those were taken to the wood shed.

Bob

- Collapse -
Slow Startup

When I restart my computer it is the same slow 15 startup. But when I shut it down and then start it, it starts normally. I have 3gb of ram on custom built system. Can't figure out why???? Vista is pisses me off big time!!!

- Collapse -
Delay some of your services

Vista I believe has something new. The ability to delay the start up of services. There are a number of services that can be delayed by start>administrative tools>services>see list(avoid security and connectivity services)right click go to properties>under the general tab, see start up type, click the triangle choose delayed start. This will speed things up. There is no need to delay manually started services.

These are the services I have delayed:

Google up date service
Multi Media Class Scheduler
Windows Event Collector
Windows Search
Window update

Note these services have only been delayed at start up, not disabled. All are automatically started services. System vary, from configuration to configuration, sound judgement is necessary to do this correctly.

- Collapse -
Start up time 3 minutes 15 seconds

1 minute from button push on tower to log on screen. 2 minutes 15 seconds from log on to start of Email or IE7. The 2 minutes 15 second seems to be some sort of trouble with the toolbar. It has numerous problems loading items into this utility. Thou 2 minutes 15 second isn't bad, I'd still like to see it speeded up some more. Whatever it might be I hope SP1 straightens it out.

- Collapse -
Dual Boot, slow statup since upgrade to 3gb RAM

babakn25, have you sloved the problem yet? I have a similar setup to you. I can't say i even noticed this delay when i was running 1GB RAM, only once I added another 2. I've also found that even XP takes a lot longer to boot. its all running in dual channel but mabe it does't like the 2x512mb with 2x1gb setup. Windows is crap, it does't like you having a lot of memory with 32-bit, and 64-bit accepts lots of ram but nothing other than windows itself works on it!!!

- Collapse -
guitar_adam2000, Dual Boot, slow statup since upgrade to 3gb

guitar_adam2000,
No I haven't solved the problem with Vista.
I downgraded back to XP Professional. My computer works like a charm.
Not a single problem. I think Vista have too many bugs.
Gotta wait another 5 years until they will fix it. But then Windows Vienna will be out. After fighting with Vista I doubt that I ever will install it, I hate it. I will wait for Vienna.

RE: babakn25, have you sloved the problem yet? I have a similar setup to you. I can't say i even noticed this delay when i was running 1GB RAM, only once I added another 2. I've also found that even XP takes a lot longer to boot. its all running in dual channel but mabe it does't like the 2x512mb with 2x1gb setup. Windows is crap, it does't like you having a lot of memory with 32-bit, and 64-bit accepts lots of ram but nothing other than windows itself works on it!!!

- Collapse -
Vista slow Startup probelm

i have WinVista on an 07' HP with 300 gb, 4gb ram, etc. and it takes close to 10 minutes to start even though I have tried disabling most of application that load at startup with msconfig.

I do not think it is a hardware problem it is a nature of this pos software that takes 10x as much space ax xp.

- Collapse -
Vista Slow Start up Problem

Thanks for the wonderful information. Turned server off and now the computer has less than a 20 sec. start up time. Before it was taking 5 minutes

- Collapse -
vista startup problem

I had the same problem, when I shut down my pc then it starts normally, but restart took 15 or more minutes. After fighting with all these issues, I downgraded to XP Pro. All of my problems are gone!
I don't wanna see vista anymore, let microsoft deal with it.

- Collapse -
Same problem...

...but it fixed itself!

I had this problem with an AMD 3GHz with 4GB ram and an nVidia 8600GT - but after a few months (and maybe 20 boots) it fixed itself. However, mine did have a problem in safe mode - (and in normal mode), two drivers (srv.sys and kbdhid.sys) were failing to load and then loading fine just after!

Try having a look in the boot log (to turn it on go to [Windows]+R -> "msconfig" -> [enter]. It's in the startup tab I think?), that will list all drivers and if they fail or load properly.

All this is advice I got from when I posted this problem a few months back.

Isaac

- Collapse -
Some new information and possible improvements as well.

1) If you have your OS installation disk(s) there is a boot repair feature that can be ran using it. Reinstall the Disk at the first/BIOs screen. When it loads choose the language settings> a scan runs next> then choose repair in the lower left corner> then choose restart repair, press enter, the system will restart.

2) Vista has a built in debugger. Press F8 on the first/BIOs screen, arrow down to "debugging mode" press enter. (The OS runs slow in this mode.) Log on then let all programs/applications load then restart the system.

This feature can debug other troublesome programs as well but you must run them to make the repair. In other words, if your having a problem with your E-mail go there and try to recreate any problems you might be experiencing, give the debugger time to straighten out the problem then restart the system.

Do not expect major improvement by using these two features. These make repairs and fail to make repairs about equally. You have a 50-50 chance of making improvements using these two methods. Certainly worth a try if all else fails.

CNET Forums

Forum Info