General discussion

Vista Security Problem

I have a problem with the computer freezing. Usually have to do a hard shutdown to get out of it. Sometimes I get a box that says the following: Logon Process Has Failed To Create The Security Options Dialog. There is a Red X- Security Options and a box that says OK.
I have no idea what the warning means. I have AVG as my anti-virus and Windows Defender. Did a scan with both programs and found nothing. Desktop is a HP Pavilion running an AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core 4600 with 3 Gigs of Ram and Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. I have not added any new devices or software and the computer has been normal for the past 2 years. Sometimes it runs fine for a week and then it acts up and starts to freeze. System scans show nothing unusual.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista Security Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista Security Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Which Pavilion?

The dv series with that cpu are well known to start doing that lockup and this one day will just not start. Here's TWO links about it and you can find thousands more.

1. Cnet to the rescue -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19683_102-0.html?threadID=385633&tag=forums06;forum-threads

2. Another member that is pleading for any other solution or issue -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=389309&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Again, I feel for you but this model line is well known for these issues. Take the early warning to get your files out to a safe place before you can't.

Also check to see if HP is offering any extended repairs at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us

Good luck.
Bob

- Collapse -
Pavilion Freeze

Thanks for the info Bob. Does Nvidia have a bios update for these problems? My Pavilion is an a1747c desktop.

- Collapse -
Sorry
- Collapse -
In reply to Sorry!

Hi Bob, Since posting my problems with various freezing and not responding messages, I decided to go to the HP forums and found I was not the only one having these problems. It seems that the desktops using the Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard with the NVIDIA chip were having the same problem as I. I then proceeded to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest set of drivers, version 15.49, 86 MB'S and it has been 5 days now with no problems! KNOCK ON WOOD!! I am posting this to help others with HP's who are ready to throw their PC's out the window! Incidentally, I could find no mention of this update on the HP software and drivers website for Pavilion desktops.

- Collapse -
Freeze Cure??

In reply to Sorry!
by arkyduck - 4/20/10 8:29 AM In reply to: Sorry by R. Proffitt
Hi Bob, Since posting my problems with various freezing and not responding messages, I decided to go to the HP forums and found I was not the only one having these problems. It seems that the desktops using the Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard with the NVIDIA chip were having the same problem as I. I then proceeded to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest set of drivers, version 15.49, 86 MB'S and it has been 5 days now with no problems! KNOCK ON WOOD!! I am posting this to help others with HP's who are ready to throw their PC's out the window! Incidentally, I could find no mention of this update on the HP software and drivers website for Pavilion desktops.

CNET Forums

Forum Info