Computer Help forum

General discussion

vista restore problems

by kimy27 / January 11, 2010 7:25 PM PST

Hi I am hoping someone can help me..

I have a dell inspiron 1525 laptop which I have had for about 2 years. I have never really had any problems with it until the other night when it completely froze while I was trying to burn a dvd using ConvertXtodvd. I tried ctr-alt-delete but nothing was working so I had to take out the battery. When I turned the system back on I got the message "corrupt master file table." Although I could still log on to my desktop as soon as I clicked on anything it would freeze up again. When I ran chkdsk it would say "windows cannot recover master file table."

After all else failed I decided to restore the original factory setting but when I would try to select "repair your computer" it would freeze up. That's when I discovered that it was my recovery drive D that was corrupt. I then had to reinstall Vista with the recovery disk that came with my laptop. This worked quite well and it even kept a copy of my old windows with all my docs, programs etc in a file called "old windows." I then formatted the corrupt drive D which obviously deleted all the files that were on it.

My new desktop seemed to be working fine and I managed to reinstall all my old programs etc. However it seems that if I run too many things at once my laptop either freezes up or restarts itself.

I am thinking that when I reinstalled vista I may have lost some important things that keep the computer running smoothly but I have no idea how to check that and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to go next?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista restore problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista restore problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!