Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Restore

by rgfitz / December 13, 2006 2:57 AM PST

I have WinXPSP2Home on my Dell E510 and was fiddling around making a very minor registry value change in HKEY_CURRENT_USER Control Panel > Desktop when my forearm clipped the lower right side of the keyboard and about one-third of the registry entries disappeared. System Restore could not restore to any previous restore point. I have had this restore problem before but usually it works. If not I always have an up-to-date Acronis backup to rely on and now have NTbackup installed to backup the registry.

Does the new Vista have a more "robust" system restore that anyone can comment on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure...
by John.Wilkinson / December 13, 2006 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Restore

There are many enhancements to Windows' restore and recovery capabilities, including:

1.) Vista includes the ability to backup key files and folders or your entire hard drive, just like Acronis. It can also be scheduled to do incremental backups on a regular schedule. Time will tell if this means the end to True Image's and Norton's packages.

2.) System Restore has been enhanced to backup far more system changes than in Windows ME and XP. I'm not sure it would be much help in your case, but it certainly is a welcomed enhancement.

3.) Windows Recovery Environment is a set of tools that will let you help diagnose and resolve boot-time issues, registry corruption, and BSODs itself instead of forcing you to rely on the Microsoft Knowledge Base for guidance and Recovery Console, among other things, to fix the problems. This includes the ability to run System Restore's functionality outside of Windows.

4.) Shadow Copies/Previous Versions is available in the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions. It can be set to automatically backup multiple editions of user-specified files, including when restore points are created. You can then choose to open the current version or previous versions, a benefit if you delete pat of a document and don't realize your mistake until after you save and close the document. This is already a feature in Windows Server 2003 as well as Microsoft Office 2003, but brings the functionality home to all file types.

These are all seperate functions but they are integrated together under the System Restore roof, just as Norton, Symantec, and others have brought antivirus, firewall, and privacy protection together in one package. Thus, you have control over each individual functionality but all in more or less one place.

I hope you never need the functionality, but it will be there if you ever do.
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by rgfitz / December 13, 2006 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Sure...

It sounds interesting...much more interesting than the cosmetic changes that most people comment on.

Collapse -
Flaw in System
by Eggman / February 24, 2007 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Well its not truly a flaw! It is a change in how Vista handles restore points.
My system is duel booted with XP on the "D" drive. I have discovered that Vista distroys your restore points when you boot into the other operating system. I find this as a set back in design. What say you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?