Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Registry Help !!!! plzz

by GeorgeGee69 / November 9, 2009 3:38 AM PST

I recently installed a "legitimate" copy of Autodesk Auocad, a 1.3gb design programme. Unfortunately it did not work. There was no uninstall with the programme and Vista would not uninstall. This has happened before with smaller programmes and the only way I have found to get rid of the programme completely is to delete all the files and then manually delete the associated files from the registry. Not ideal but it works. Unfortunately this programme has many hundreds of files ALL of which are not "owned" by my login, ( stand alone PC for me only so why Vista does not know this is still a major mystery to me), so I have to change ownership and permissions to my login name and then delete!!! I looked at deleting "Hives" but that option only applied to ALL of my software programmes. I do not want any 3rd party registry cleaner so please do not offer. I am looking for a solution which will let me change multiple keys and sub directories "Ownership" and "Permissions" at one time.
I am running Vista Home Premium SP2
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz
2 GB Ram
on a Packard bell standard box

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Registry Help !!!! plzz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Registry Help !!!! plzz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Legit means you get support from Autocad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 3:42 AM PST

They supply install help for legit owners. They will also tell you if the version you have runs on Vista.

Collapse -
It is Legit mate
by GeorgeGee69 / November 9, 2009 3:46 AM PST

it is the 30 day "Trial" package with NO technical help but it should run on my system. They have suggested I un-install and re-install, hence my legitimate question, thanks for your prompt and useless answer!

Collapse -
That's an absolutely brilliant way
by Jimmy Greystone / November 9, 2009 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: It is Legit mate

That's an absolutely brilliant way of getting help. Insulting those who try and help. Just brilliant. No other word to describe it.

Collapse -
Sense and Sensitivity
by GeorgeGee69 / November 9, 2009 5:37 PM PST

Your buddy told me to ask Autodesk for Technical Support and hinted that I was using a Pirated copy of AutoCad!! Considering the lengths I have tried to un-install the programme shows that I have a tiny wee bit of common sense and would have consulted them and not wasted the time of forum members! So you think it is harsh of me insulting a forum member who has intimated that I am a thief and stupid? Is this a buddy buddy forum, is he your boyfriend, are you his big brother, are you him? if none of the above then why are you commenting on a reply rather than the question lodged? I assume your expertise does not cover this subject but the need to see YOUR name on the web, (in a technically good forum), is just to much for you to resist, which is rather sad in a forum such as this! If you think this is a harsh reply, my advice to you is grow up and go find some question you have the answer for, that is if there is a novice forum page for someone with your very very limited knowledge base and lack of understanding!! PLEASE legitimate forum members this is a sincere request for information on Vista registry please ignore the last couple of childish responses and keep this Forums standards high. Thank You for your time and I will appreciate all the advise you can give.

Collapse -
I can't see anything in Bob's post ...
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2009 5:44 PM PST
In reply to: Sense and Sensitivity

even hinting that it was in illegimate version. I think that for some reason you got oversensitive. No need at all for that.

I think the suggestion to contact them was both a reasonable one and a well formulated one, given what you told in your first post. Only later you said it was a trial version without support.

It's not clear what is wrong with your system. But it seems something is wrong indeed. I wonder if a mass-change program for the registry (if such exists) is the solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Sensitivity
by GeorgeGee69 / November 9, 2009 6:02 PM PST

I apologise if you think I over reacted. My question is Vista Registry, Changing Ownership and Permissions using multi selection, Autocad was an example of a large and complex programme cluttering up the registry. As I intimated I have had the same problem with other programmes that will not un-install properly and I am investigating a solution to resolve future conflicts which I know will arise, so can we stick to Vista and not AutoCad?

Collapse -
I checked your first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: It is Legit mate

And missed that it was a trial. What this means is the trial confirmed your fears and you should not buy this product.

Given your reply, let's see what others have to say.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by GeorgeGee69 / November 9, 2009 5:55 PM PST

Maybe not buy that programme, but with PC computer mem getting bigger other programmes are increasing in size and complexity, surely being able to change the Ownership and Permissions within the Vista registry should be made easier. Its just a question of being able to change the priorities in a complete folder including sub folders which to me makes sense, after all it is my PC not Windows Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?