Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Recovery Disc

by review_monster / October 23, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

Hi everyone. i have just built my own desktop and purchased windows vista home premium OEM for operating system.
Now im trying to make a bootable recovery Disc so i don't have to install drivers and programs like office/norton anti-virus every time i format using vista OEM disc. sort of like the HP recovery thing. i have norton ghost 12 as well but dunno how to use it to make recovery DVD. is there a way i can make a bootable recovery dvd using ghost/vista dvd/ or whatever? can you guys help me please?

My System:
Intel G33M Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
2GB DDR2@800Mhz
XFX Geforce 8600GT XXX Video Card PCI-E
SATA 320GB Hard Drive
SATA CD/DVD+RW Drive
Windows Vista Home Premium OEM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Recovery Disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Recovery Disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check With Ghost Support
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Recovery Disc

I believe it should do exactly what you're referring to.. A mirror image of the drive that can be used for full recovery.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Back Up CD
by auggief / October 24, 2007 7:49 PM PDT

Grif, when I bught this computer, it had Vista Hoe Basic. I then used the CD provided to upgrade to Vista Home Premium.
The license is saved on my comuter in Marketplace digital locker. I email Microsoft asking how I could ake a back up CD, in case I lost everything. Here is the answer they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Windows Marketplace Technical Support. My name is Arjie. I understand that you would like to know on how to create a backup copy of your software.

I would like to inform you that at this time, creating a backup disk of the software you purchased using the Digital Locker Assistant software is currently not possible. As a workaround, you can use a third-party CD or DVD burning software to create a backup CD of the Windows Vista files you downloaded.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Marketplace
I don't want to buy a third party software program just for this. Can you recommend any way I can make a back up CD of my Home Premium license in the digital locker?

Collapse -
"I don't want to buy a third party software program just for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2007 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Back Up CD

"I don't want to buy a third party software program just for this."

Frankly that is your CHEAPEST solution. Acronis is far cheaper than the alternative of order restore CDs for your machine. I own a few Acers and it appears to me that you skipped making the restore CD/DVDs so you fell into that trap.

I know some don't want to pay a dime but they usually come around after they spend a few moons trying it the other way.

Bob

Collapse -
Digital Locker Assistant Program
by auggief / October 25, 2007 2:23 AM PDT

"I would like to inform you that at this time, creating a backup disk of the software you purchased using the Digital Locker Assistant software is currently not possible. As a workaround, you can use a third-party CD or DVD burning software to create a backup CD of the Windows Vista files you downloaded."

I was hoping that maybe someone had some contact with MS and knew when they will make it possilbe.

Collapse -
So far no version of Windows...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

Has made restore CDs for us. This has been something makers have supplied. You can solve this for not much (Acronis.) I can solve it with an external USB drive and G4U's copydisk but that may strain most owners.

Bob

Collapse -
Only Available In Vista Ultimate...
by EscapePod / October 27, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

I make a quarterly "clone" disk (actually, I'm up to two DVDs now) of my PC using the built in app in Vista Ultimate.

For my other two PCs, which run Vista Home Premium, I use Acronis -- it was about $34 at Newegg -- by the way, that's cheaper than upgrading to Ultimate, if you have one of the lesser Vista versions.

Collapse -
(NT) It's available in Vista Business as well.
by John.Wilkinson / October 27, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
recovery boot disc
by cntg_chris / October 27, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

hey review_monster, all you have to do is boot FROM the Ghost 12 disc and that'll bring you up to where you need to be.

Collapse -
Restore disks for Vista
by sevenships / October 27, 2007 9:15 AM PDT

I contacted Compaq support and they sent me a restore disk for my Compaq Vista laptop free.

Collapse -
Recovery disk=operating system?
by vs-works / April 7, 2008 6:13 PM PDT

I ordered the recovery disks from HP..

I did not make recovery disks before I clean wiped the hard drive and tried downgrading to XP. I know it was stupid of me, but I assumed vista to XP was possible like older version of windows. (well most of the old ones)

So if I get the recovery disks, will that give me vista ALL back, or just a platform to repair vista, I want the whole operating system back.

Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Re: recovery disk
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2008 6:20 PM PDT

I don't know, of course, what Compaq promised to send you, but I assume it's the full recovery.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: recovery disk
by vs-works / April 9, 2008 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: recovery disk

What they call it is "notebook recovery disc set windows vista premium 32bit"....does that sound like a full recovery set?

VS

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, it does.
by Kees Bakker / April 9, 2008 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: recovery disk
Collapse -
Thank you.
by vs-works / April 10, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it does.

PHEW! That makes me sleep better at night...Thank you so much Kees Bakker.

VS

Collapse -
Please tell how it all goes ...
by Kees Bakker / April 10, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

once you get the disks.

Kees

Collapse -
So far, the DVDs I'm seeing are "full recovery."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

The reason is simple. These are needed for hard disk failures, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?