General discussion

Vista recovery and sound gone

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
System Serial Number: CND9311HFJ
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Compal 30FC 01.99
Serial Number: CND9311HFJ
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.49 08/17/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d
500.11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
399.19 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20L ATA Device [Optical drive]

WDC WD5000BEVT-60ZAT1 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WXE0A6904692, rev 02.01A02, SMART Status: Healthy 3838 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'SODIMM 0' has 2048 MB (serial number AD000000000000000109264750D311)
Slot 'SODIMM 1' has 2048 MB (serial number AD000000000000000109264730D4BD)
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 485.02 GB 396.89 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 15.09 GB 2.29 GB free

Network Drives
None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Anna Ruth 10/28/2010 7:13:11 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator 10/27/2010 4:49:35 PM (admin)
Guest never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account KODAK ESP 5200 Series AiO on USB001
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers Display
IDE Channel [Controller] (8x)
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (4x) High Definition Audio Device
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
Norton AntiVirus Version 16.8.0.41
Virus Definitions Version 10/28/2010 Rev 24
None discovered
Communications Other Devices
Agere Systems HDA Modem
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
APIPA Address: 169.254.229.7 / 32
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:26:5E:07:6C:B3
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Realtek RTL8102E/8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.10.47 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.10.1
Physical Address: 00:23:5A:B8:BF:6A
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.10.1
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
ENE CIR Receiver
HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device (4x)
Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
USB Human Interface Device (3x)
HP Webcam
HID Keyboard Device
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB
HID-compliant mouse (2x)
Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad [Mouse]
JMB38X MS Host Controller
JMB38X SD Host Controller
JMB38X SD/MMC Host Controller
JMB38X xD Host Controller
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Root Hub (6x)
Generic volume shadow copy

I had to do a recovery yesterday because of numerous problems. When I did it the Service Pack 2 refused to install. Also, the sound does not work. The sound light on my HP laptop keeps showing red when it should be blue. The volume control is on high. Staples tech support went over it with me today on the phone for about two hours. He tried various things but still the sound is not working. They are going to send me a box to return the computer to them for repair. In the meantimetime I thought maybe someone here might have an idea. I had lost the sound shortly after I got the computer in September 2009 and HP support went into the registry did something (which I do not recall) and it started working. My support warranty with HP expired a month ago but I still have one with Staples where I bought it. Might someone have any ideas? Even though I will return the computer in a few days (and get it back in about two weeks) would be nice to get my sound back, if possible. The Staples tech support guy did not go into the registry.

I do have two Windows 7 disks ? entitled HP Upgrade Manager, Insert this disk first, and the other one is called Microsoft Windows 7 Home premium Upgrade Media for 64 bit software only. Leery about using them, though, until this Vista problem is fixed. When I get the computer back I will use them. I am so tired of all the problems I have had with Vista.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vista recovery and sound gone
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista recovery and sound gone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Which dv7?

Sorry but a lot of the details above could hide the real model number. I have the dv7 but which one?

If I knew I could have checked if there was a sound driver update or driver.
Bob

- Collapse -

Thanks, Bob. It is HHP Pavilion, Entertainnment Notebook DV7-1451NR. I had tried going to Device Manager and right-clicked the two sounds in there looking for new drivers and each told me I had the latest ones.

- Collapse -
Microsoft never quite nailed that feature.
&cc=us">http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3979512&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&tmp_track_link=ot_we/prodlink/en_us/3979512/locShocked&cc=us is the product home page.

If the driver is corrupt I'd install the Vista (again the details are HIDDEN above) 64 bit Audio driver off the drivers link there.

However the video driver looks to have a 2010 date on it. I'd get that one too.
Bob
- Collapse -

Thank you much, Bob. Will try this tomorrow. It is 2:30 AM and my head is drooping about to fall on the keyboard. Happy

- Collapse -

Bob, Thank you so much. It worked, it worked. I installed this one: ? IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver
2008-11-14 , Version:6.10.6087.0 B, 24.75M
This package contains the IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems.

And I installed this one: ? AMD Video Driver
2010-03-04 , Version:8.632.3.0, 111.75M (?Previous versions available)?
This package provides the AMD Video/VGA Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems

Not sure which one did it, but the sound is working. The sound light on the laptop is white now and not red. The Staples tech said it should be blue, but white is fine with me. All lights uner the screen are white except for the power light and that is blue, which it always has been. Thanks from the bottom of my almost-76-year-old heart.

The Wihdows Update now shows the SP2. That is the one that would not install after the recovery. Then it disappeared from Windows update but now it is back. Strange. Not sure what to do about that one. But thnk I will still let Staples work on this laptop.

- Collapse -
About Windows Update.

I let it sort itself out. Most of the time that works.
Bob

- Collapse -
Post 5 of 7 Vista recovery and sound gone

When I try to sort things out, frequently does not work for me. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
About Windows Update

Hmmm, by sorting out, now I wonder if you are talking about Windows update. Have to scoot to bed now.

- Collapse -
Yes.

WU is rather a deep subject. Given the depth of this discussion, a new discussion about WU along with details and error codes may help.

Example? Read:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6129_102-503507.html

That was their second post but they revealed a vital clue and it was solved quickly.
Bob

- Collapse -
About Windows Update

Hmmm, that is about Ofice, it looks like. It is long so will have to read after I get back from **** caretaking.

- Collapse -
And it was WU too..

I used that as an example, not one specific to your KBnnnnn failures. It's an example what might happen once are the clues are posted.

This discussion is also an example where just a little more detail helps find something to try.

Bob

- Collapse -
About Windows Update

What more could I have included?

- Collapse -
For example.

Error messages, which KB number, etc.

- Collapse -
About Windows Update

OK, thank you. SP 2 tried to install a little bit ago but I got a messsage that it had not installed. I rebooted and it installed. But then would not install some optional updates. Strange. Should get my mailing box on Monday to mail this for repairs. Really feel like dumping it in Tampa Bay. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info