Laptops forum

General discussion

Vista questions

by Hawk20204 / March 26, 2007 6:33 PM PDT

These questions are meant to people who have vista premium and not the betas------
I am planning on getting a Dell inspirion 1505 with vista premium (yes i have 1 gig ram) it comes with 80 gigs of HD. so here we go the questions

Ok is it true that vista will take 15gig of the harddrive?
is it true that vista does more harm than good on a computor?
is it true that windows vista will run badly if I dont get 2 gig or ram?

note again that I only want users of the actual vista to help me not betta not anyone who has just seen vista. thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost forgot!
by Hawk20204 / March 26, 2007 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista questions

is it true that vista is incompatible with ALL anti virus software?

Collapse -
You can see those answers in the Vista forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2007 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost forgot!

"Is it true that vista is incompatible with ALL anti virus software?"

True for most versions before Vista shipped. And one Symantec Norton buyer had a Vista marked version they took home from the store only to discover what was in the box was not for the version of Vista that was on their laptop. The boxed version was from weeks ago and a call had to be made to Symantec to download the new version.

So many will say yes, but it's not true anymore. The antivirus software makers are catching up.

Bob

Collapse -
Answers
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / March 27, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

1- Vista doesn't take 15 GB of the HDD. I think it takes arround 6-7 GB... Not sure. My Vista Ultimate takes 14 GB with all applications installed ( antivirus - Kaserpsky Internet Security, I recommend this AV for everybody - Office 2007, etc ... )

I have 1.5 GB of RAM. Vista runs very smootlhy. My neightboor has 1 GB, it also runs smootlhy, but his laptop is slower than my Dell E1505.

Collapse -
From Microsoft...
by steve749 / March 28, 2007 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Answers
Link showing:
"hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space"

That's for any version of Vista. While it may use less after installation, one does have to get through the installation to use it, right?

Regads,
JB
Collapse -
Yep...
by whizkid454 / March 28, 2007 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: From Microsoft...

The 15GB is necessary for all temp installation files and other miscellaneous files. Once completed, depending on edition, it will be less.

Collapse -
Required RAM depends on use.
by Igiveup2 / March 27, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

Not everybody's happy with 1 GB, but it seems adequate for light applications like web surfing, word processing, and e-mail. Vista with aero seems to use about 600-650 MB at startup with security apps enabled. You may have to prune non-system and non-security items out of the startup configuration to keep unused applications from maxing out your RAM right out of the gate.

If you have grander ambitions, get more RAM.

Collapse -
Yeah so does any one have any sugestions for atni virus?
by Hawk20204 / March 27, 2007 8:55 AM PDT

is there nay anti virus software out there that I can buy that costs under 50 buck?

and for the ram my greatest ambition is playing games that game out from 1/2 a year ago - 3 years ago (battle field 2142/half life 2)

Collapse -
We have that covered in our Security Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 9:04 AM PDT

From memory Free AVG, Avast are free so they meet your price target. And they are noted, listed for Vista. The firewall is currently on the top page of posts too.

Check there to be sure as I'm just pulling from memory.

Bob

Collapse -
More RAM seems like a good idea then.
by Igiveup2 / March 27, 2007 10:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh, and......
by Igiveup2 / March 28, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

....if you're a gamer, make sure your Dell is configured with an upgraded graphics chip.

Collapse -
Anti-virus
Collapse -
wow! virus softare isnt that hard to come by
by Hawk20204 / March 29, 2007 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Anti-virus

yeah i guess that that AVG would work and i found firewall service that will work too

and of corse i am getting and upgraded graphics card on a dell im not a complete novice at this

Collapse -
Vista needs patience and GasEx -
by kassi59 / April 27, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

I just received my new computer preloaded vista. I'm not real happy with it, but ya know its kinda also growing on me at the same time.
Ive been cleaning out the bloat, I'm not finished as of yet. The recovery on mine is the D drive and its almost full so Ive ordered recovery disc so I can get rid of whats on my hard drive.

I have a HP Pavilion a6010e PC
Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz / 512KB L2 cache)
- FREE UPGRADE from 512 to 1024MB DDR2-533MHz(2x512)
- 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Ive added nothing. Ive been cleaning OUT files ie microsoft office trial things like that - that I have no intention to buy.
I only have 77% free on C drive
and 12% free on my D drive

Here is a link to my computer stats via pcpitstop:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=PDHHHWJFL9WSF13W

Now my thoughts are and Ive voiced them to HP is that why do I have so little free space when I just purchased this and Ive not added Ive only been deleting.
Its really been a royal pain in the butt.

Here is also an excerpt from HP support:
have verified the database and this issue is occurring with the latest
PCs preinstalled with Windows Vista Operating system. This issue is due
to errors in the latest Windows Vista Operating system. I would like to
inform you that Windows vista operating system is newly launched
operating system, there are many issues working with the operating
system. Microsoft and HP are working on the issues, and will release
software updates to resolve these particular issues.

Its actually been a nightmare, nothing like 5yrs ago when I got my very first computer and new nothing at all and used windowsXP, and then everyone was screaming in similar chants about that, but as a complete novice I found no issues what so ever.
I'm loosing hair over this one!
but like I said earlier, I'm also getting kinda used to it too, and feel that after a bit of gasEX it will calm down and be just fine.
I hope this helps.

Collapse -
If you have a Staples near you
by orlbuckeye / April 30, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

They have PC-Cillin for 49.95 with a $50 mail-in rebate. I bought PC-Cillin 2 weeks ago when it was on sale at Best Buy for 29.00. I recommend it because good protection and not a resource hog. Avast and AVG are both free downloads on like Download.com.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!