Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Vista Question

by hoss9009 / January 20, 2006 3:13 PM PST

Any know the min. requirements for vista?
I know it'll be 64bit but will 32 bit machines be able to run it or no?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it can... the logical reason is
by Melati Hitam / January 20, 2006 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Question

99.9% they will not make people change the Hardware to run the new OS... most likely you need more RAM and bigger HD.

So, just like the current windows XP, you have choice FAT32 or NTFS... -- 32bit or 64bits, its up to your hardware capability.. and yourself.

Collapse -
Date?
by hoss9009 / January 20, 2006 11:35 PM PST

thanks... do you know a date it's coming out?

Collapse -
Tenatively...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Date?

The proposed schedule was Vista is to be released to manufacturing on August 9, 2006, and be broadly available by November 15, just in time for Thanksgiving. However, that's always subject to change. (I seem to remember an announcement that Vista was due out in early 2005, then late 2005, then early 2006...well, you get the picture.)

Some quick notes you may not know:
* There will be 7 (seven) different versions of Windows Vista: Starter Edition, Home Basic Edition, Home Premium Edition, Professional Edition, Small Business Edition, Enterprise Edition, and Ultimate Edition.

* Pricing is not yet known, but Starter Edition will be sold in mostly third-world countries at a reduced price, and Home Basic and Professional should be close to their Windows XP counterparts ($200 and $300, respectfully, with upgrades being about $100 less).

* It will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit forms.

* All versions will be included on one disk. That makes it easy if you want to upgrade, since you'd just need to order a new key online, pop in your CD, and be upgraded in a matter of minutes.

* The requirements are not set in stone yet, but if you want to be able to take advantage of Vista's full potential, including AERO (the new graphics system), you'll want to have a minimum of a 2.2GHz Intel P4 processor (or AMD's equivelent), 512MB RAM, and a decent stand-alone graphics card (not integrated graphics). Of course you can still run Vista on older hardware (the basic requirements aren't much higher than that of Windows XP), but you'll be stick in a 'reduced graphics' mode.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?