Windows Vista forum

General discussion

vista premium home upgrade made my IE 7 unworkable.

by ss06470 / March 13, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

After upgrading to Vista premium home on my Dell laptop my IE 7 stopped working. I still can connect to the internet through Mozilla and upgrades for the various programs connect to the internet and go forward without a hitch, but I can't get IE to work.

As a separate issue I noticed that the strength of my wireless connection went from excellent to good. During installation it eliminated the driver that came with my Intel pro and presumably replaced it with a compatible one but the signal is definitely weaker.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista premium home upgrade made my IE 7 unworkable.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista premium home upgrade made my IE 7 unworkable.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Can IE be uninstalled and reinstalled?
by ss06470 / March 13, 2007 12:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
is ie still configured for "protected mode"?
by ramarc / March 14, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

i had to turn that off to do practically anything in ie7 under vista.

Collapse -
So did I! Who needs it?
by stonehkm / March 14, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

Except newbies and "I could care less" people.

Collapse -
You are correct.
by ss06470 / March 14, 2007 2:57 PM PDT

You are correct. With protected mode shut off my IE now works. That is absurd, that Mozilla works perfectly with Vista but not their own program. Is everyone having this problem? Why are there not more postings about this? Only thing is how safe am I with IE in not protected state. I think I will work in Mozilla until there is a fix. Or is there a fix? You can't download IE updates with Mozilla. Anyway thanks

Collapse -
i couldn't even download firefox with ie7's protected mode!
by ramarc / March 15, 2007 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: You are correct.

i don't fully understand what the heck's going on with protected mode. i know it blocks downloads from redirects (you asked for xyz.htm and are redicted to abc.zip) and javascript, but it's way too restrictive for my tastes.

as for vulnerability, you're probably a bit safer in regular mode under vista than ie7 on xp. you'll still get warnings about installing software but the uac will prompt you if some sneaky stuff tries to install itself.

after you've loaded up ie7 with your favorite add-ons (google toolbar, flash, etc.) you can probably turn protected mode back on.

Collapse -
IE 7 and Vista incompatibility
by ss06470 / March 15, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

Mine was already laoded with everything (left over from its previous incarnation on XP). But no, when I tried to turn protected back on IE once again would not work. Nor by the way, does my virus protection from F security that goes with Charter Cable work(or it says it is incompatible) Why didn't some one warn us before we moved to the vista upgrade? I still want to know whether I can uninstall the IE and try a fresh download

Collapse -
a new install won't help
by ramarc / March 16, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

protected mode is just your mother who won't let you go outside and play. reinstalling it won't change protected mode's behavior.

f-secure has not been updated to work under vista. vista's incompatibility with all xp targetted ant-virus products was well publicized.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.