Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista on one HD, XP on another - possible?

by humax1 / March 2, 2009 9:33 PM PST

Hi,

I just bought the Lenovo 3000 that Tiger Direct has on sale for $220. It came with Vista Home preloaded, no CD. This is replacement for an older, non-working Compaq with XP. The HD on the Compaq still works. I don't think I received an XP CD either when I bought the Compaq.

Is it possible for me to install the Compaq HD as a slave on the Lenovo, for extra storage and to boot up XP in the event I need to run a program that is incompatible with Vista? If yes, what is the procedure to make it boot XP? I have seen some threads about dual booting, but they all seem to require a Vista CD.

Thanks for any help,
h

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista on one HD, XP on another - possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista on one HD, XP on another - possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and no...
by John.Wilkinson / March 2, 2009 9:48 PM PST

It is possible to have Windows Vista on one drive and Windows XP on another, and it is possible you you to reuse that old drive as a slave in the new computer. However, the old copy of Windows XP is locked to the old computer, technically and legally. Thus, you would need to buy a new licensed copy of Windows XP for it to work.

John

Collapse -
What about a new copy of XP?
by humax1 / March 3, 2009 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and no...

Thanks for the reply. If I buy a new copy of Windows, what then? I've seen some posts about Vista getting overwritten when XP was installed. That would be a disaster, as my computer did not come with a Vista installation disk.

Collapse -
No restore media = YOU DON"T WANT TO DO THIS YET.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2009 2:16 AM PST
Collapse -
It is not an overwrite...
by John.Wilkinson / March 3, 2009 10:35 AM PST

Windows XP overwrites Windows Vista if and only if you tell it to install itself on the same partition as Windows Vista is on. Install to different partitions and Windows Vista remains intact. However, Windows XP's NTLDR will overwrite Windows Vista's Windows Boot Manager, an issue you must use VistaBootPRO (no longer free; majorgeeks.com currently has a free download) or EasyBCD (still free) to resolve by forcibly restoring the Windows Vista boot loader.

John

Collapse -
Sounds complicated
by humax1 / March 3, 2009 11:12 AM PST

So, these are the steps: get a fresh copy of XP, install it on the second HD, then Vista won't work on the first HD because the XP install overwrites the Vista Boot Manager, so reinstall the Vista Boot Manager with VistaBootPro or EasyBCD?

I assume the reinstall of the Vista Boot Manager does not overwrite XP's NTLDR?

The fact that I have a legal copy of Vista on the computer does not entitle me to a restore CD or other support from Microsoft?

Thanks for the replies, seems this is more complicated than I had hoped. What if I install Ubuntu on the second HD -- same types of issues?

Collapse -
Correct...
by John.Wilkinson / March 4, 2009 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds complicated

So, these are the steps: get a fresh copy of XP, install it on the second HD, then Vista won't work on the first HD because the XP install overwrites the Vista Boot Manager, so reinstall the Vista Boot Manager with VistaBootPro or EasyBCD?
-> Yes, that is an accurate summary.

I assume the reinstall of the Vista Boot Manager does not overwrite XP's NTLDR?
-> Correct. Windows Vista's Windows Boot Manager will be default, but leave NTLDR in place and hand control over to it whenever you select "Previous Version of Windows" from the boot menu.

The fact that I have a legal copy of Vista on the computer does not entitle me to a restore CD or other support from Microsoft?
-> Unfortunately correct as well. A preinstalled OEM copy is sold to HP, Dell, etc at a reduced cost, reflected in the price of your computer, due to HP, Dell, etc accepting full responsibility for all support. You can order/burn a 'system recovery' DVD, but not a Windows Vista DVD and you cannot receive free Microsoft support. (Windows Update is the exception.)

What if I install Ubuntu on the second HD -- same types of issues?
-> Actually, no. Ubuntu's GRUB boot loader will automatically take over, leaving any/all Windows boot loaders intact.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Very helpful
by humax1 / March 4, 2009 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Correct...

Thanks much, John. Guess it is not worth it to buy a new copy of XP unless I run into a major incompatibility issue with Vista. Maybe just for fun I'll put Ubuntu on the second HD, to see what it can do.

Collapse -
Check your BIOS
by rgfitz / March 4, 2009 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Very helpful

I can choose Setup when my computer boots and boot from either of my two hard drives.

I turn one on and one off.

XP is on one and Vista is on the other.

I still think Vista is essentially useless and boot to XP 99 percent of the time.

I may replace Vista with Windows 7 assuming my son, who works for Microsoft, can get me a copy for $35 or so.

Collapse -
Just one note...
by John.Wilkinson / March 4, 2009 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Check your BIOS

If you do go the BIOS-based dual-boot setup, remember to disconnect the one hard drive before installing Windows XP. Otherwise NTLDR will still overwrite Windows Vista's Windows Boot Manager.

John

"I may replace Vista with Windows 7 assuming my son, who works for Microsoft, can get me a copy for $35 or so."
-> Ah, gotta love the Company Store perks. Happy

Collapse -
one more question
by humax1 / March 5, 2009 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Just one note...

If I install a new OS on the second HD, do I still set the jumper to Slave? If the HD sometimes boots the computer, is it still a slave?

Thanks,
b

Collapse -
The rules for jumper settings
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: one more question

Vary with the drives, the IDE cable used and so no one can make a simple statement to use what jumper without knowing the machine, cable type and the hard disks.

The rules for setting jumpers are fairly simple to follow but you can't do it without the details.
Bob

Collapse -
The easiest way...
by John.Wilkinson / March 5, 2009 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: one more question

Is to set the CS (Cable Select) jumper on both drives, letting the system determine which should be slave and which should be master.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.