HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista not allow to shrink C despite large free space

by sudongyue / July 21, 2009 9:07 AM PDT

I got this problem in both my desktop and my new laptop.

In my desktop, the drive C has 130G in totle, system files and data occupies 50Gb and there is 80Gb free. But when i go to the disk management and right click the disk c to shrink it, it only allows me to shrink 4G. How so?

My new laptop is even crazier. It has a 320G hard drive. The dirve c have data that acounts for 50G, but vista only allows me to shrink 120G, and occupying 160G that is more than three time larger than the size of the system. And this is a brand new computer, I haven't installed my softwares yet and barely use it.

According to my research on the internet, I turned off the system backup, and delete the so called pagefile, delete temporary internet files, and it can only free about 14Gb in my desktop.

What is the problem? Vista is driving me crazy. I heard someone saying Vista does not allow repartition of the size larger than 50% of drive C. Is this true? Third party parition softwares such as acronis disk director 10 is recommended by some but there are also warnings by others that this might cause the system to collapse. So I am very confused as of what to do. I really need to free more hard disk space for sure. and I do have acronis software. but i do not want to disable the system.

Can anyone give me some help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista not allow to shrink C despite large free space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista not allow to shrink C despite large free space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
****, what you heard is true.
by Paul C / July 21, 2009 8:14 PM PDT

An explanation is at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/ .

I have used Acronis Disk Director on this Vista system and have never experienced any of the dire fates you allude to in your post. Just remember: Before undertaking any disk resize, merge or other such operation, whether it be with Disk Director, a freeware tool such as GParted or any other such software, backup any files you can't afford to lose to CD/DVD and defragment the drive you're working with.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Collapse -
I will try it and report the result
by sudongyue / July 22, 2009 4:10 AM PDT

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your help. You just releave my worry. I will proceed to partition it with acronis. Besides, I will make a ghost backup before I do it, so that I have nothing to lose. I will report the result here whatever it will be.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.