Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista nag screen

vista home premium
everytime I move or delete an icon/file/folder to recycle bin or into a folder I get the message "moving/deleting ... to ..."
does anyone know how to disable this nag
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista nag screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista nag screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Highly doubt it's possible

In reply to: Vista nag screen

I highly doubt it's possible to disable that. It's been around in one form or another since about Windows95, so best get used to it, or find a third party file manager for all your deleting needs.

Collapse -
Re Highly doubt it is possible

In reply to: Highly doubt it's possible

My machine running XP has no such nag screen and dont' recall it is 95 or 98 either

Collapse -
It's not new, but...

In reply to: Re Highly doubt it is possible

Was generally only displayed when dealing with large files or large groups of files. Vista typically takes longer to calculate and move the files, one of the issues that was partially addressed by SP1, causing the dialog box to appear much more frequently. As Jimmy said, though, the only solution is to use a third-party file manager to increase performance and decrease the notifications.

John

Collapse -
Try it with Auto Tuning turned off.

Read http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=900

There are other tweaks showing up to turn off all the hard work by Microsoft.

Here I've turned off Aero, the desktop experience/theme, UAC and am slowly getting back to XP's performance levels.
Bob

Collapse -
Better Check Again

Every time you delete a file or folder in XP or earlier you will get a pop up box telling you it is going to the recycle bin. Not all app's. however go to the bin, they are just deleted.

Collapse -
You can avoid that...

In reply to: Better Check Again

If you drag-and-drop to the Recycle Bin, and with application shortcuts drag-and-drop two or more at a time, you can avoid the 'Are you sure' prompt.

And there's no alert when moving a file/folder between directories, only a 'transferring' confirmation dialog if it takes an 'extended' amount of time.

John

Collapse -
That can be disabled

In reply to: Better Check Again

That can be disabled easily enough. Right-click the recycle bin, select properties, and there's a checkbox at the bottom. Still won't get rid of the dialog box that is supposed to give you a visual cue as to the files being deleted. That can't be disabled without likely violating the EULA, and doing a little decompiling.

Collapse -
Simple

Hold down your shift key when you delete an item and you won't even see the screen and it won't even go to the recycle bin.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exactly what I was looking for Thanks!!

In reply to: Simple

Collapse -
Try

On recycle bin, right click, choose properties. Then unclick the box named "display deleted confirmation dialog". Still no go then choose "Do not.........." this will side step the recycle bin all together.

This thread untracked

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.