2gb Ram 32 bit OS

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 video card
Video Bios ver 5.61.32.20.01
Available graphics 831mb

Western Digital WD25 SCSI Disk 250gb
USB STECH Simple Drive 500gb
USB Maxtor OneTouch 650gb

Vista service pack 1

Just in the last week, I've experienced issues with Media Center. When I open up "Recorded TV" the list appears of all the items I've recorded. If I select one to watch it engages "ehvid.exe" and hogs anywhere from 75% to 98 % of the CPU. The show never comes up. I manage to, eventually, return to the previous page. But "ehvid.exe" never "turns off" and continues to hog the CPU. I've since learned that if I can get TASK MANAGER to come up, I can END PROCESS of the ehvid.exe and get control back, until I go back into Media Center.

I saw on another techie page where someone recommended to uninstall the October cumulative upgrade for Media Center. For him and others he knows, this fixed the problem. For me it did not.

Any suggestions.
Thanks
kaelong

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Media Center - CPU hogged by ehvid.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Media Center - CPU hogged by ehvid.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It may eventually finish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 12:52 AM PST

I won't duplicate web content on what it is short of it's part of Vista Media center to create thumbnails or such. This will run for days as it scours your machine for video to work on.

Your choice on what to do or let it finish.
Bob

Collapse -
But why the sudden change
by kaelong / January 14, 2009 1:09 AM PST

True, but I did let it "Finish" once and then between ehvid.exe and another media center "exe" they both hogged the CPU.

Before all this started happening just a week or so ago, Media Center worked smooth. Didn't hog resources like that.

So I'm just wondering what changed and can it be fixed. Many, many people are having this same issue.

I spent a lot of money on media extenders, but they are not usable at this time, because they kick the "ehvid.exe" into action.

Again, this problem wasn't a problem just a week ago or so. It could find all the video with in a matter of seconds, probably cause I do store it all in one folder.

Appreciate you thoughts, but hoping for a better solution.

Collapse -
I read it's a recent KB install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 8:59 AM PST

That causes it to actually start working. I stopped short of duplicating all the web content about it.

Collapse -
EHVID.EXE makes VMC unusable
by ATSdave / January 19, 2009 1:13 PM PST

Same problem here. VMC works fine for a while, but eventually (within 1-2 days) ehvid.exe overwhelms the CPU, making recording & playback impossible. Problem started after last update.

I've seen some guesses as to what ehvid.exe process is, but nothing definative, and clearly it is causing a critical VMC problem.

HELP!!!

Collapse -
Just a part of VMC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2009 11:24 PM PST
http://sbreck.blogspot.com/2007/12/reliability-monitor-on-media-center-pc.html and other blogs are discussing this but lets understand one thing. Microsoft's solutions are not that reliable and today's owners are asking questions.

It doesn't matter exactly what this part of VMC it is, it and the other eh_____ items are crashing on people. There is no do this cure today that I've found. I have some ways to crash VMC on demand but the reply I got from a 'softie was 'don't do that.'

Basically you take some video that VMC or WMP can't handle without crashing and you put that into the machine. You see VMC try to index it and blammo. Either it crashes or eats CPU cycles.

The 'softie's defense was that since the media file had an error you should fix that and it was not a sign the MS code needed fixing.
Bob
Collapse -
VMC - just one of those things
by ekaelong / January 20, 2009 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Just a part of VMC.

Thanks so much for your response. I did find where someone wrote there solution of uninstalling the cumulative update for October. I tried this and now it seems to be working. It did take a reboot for it to really take the change, but since I submitted my first post things are back to normal (?).

I guess for me, until something else goes wrong, I'm good. Hope everyone else resolves there issues with Windows MC.

Thanks to everyone for there responses.
Elise'

Collapse -
corrupt TVThumb.db
by robertmatthewcook / May 21, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

after a long search for why ehvid.exe would use all available resources on my windows 7 64bit machine the solution for me was removing the thmb directory which was tried due to a suspicion there was a corrupt TVThumb.db

cmd.exe /c "rmdir C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\thmb /s /q"

unsuccessful attempts included

http://superuser.com/questions/79930/windows-7-runs-out-of-memory-and-becomes-unuseable-not-checkdisk
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/recorded-tv-kills-media-center-ehvidexe-goes-crazy/56c2980f-10f8-4f30-b5e2-49324f04b768
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/37f874fb-1677-4541-888d-3ae54756c93b/
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12546_102-325174.html
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/49/t/39567.aspx?PageIndex=2
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/recorded-tv-kills-media-center-ehvidexe-goes-crazy/56c2980f-10f8-4f30-b5e2-49324f04b768

-ending the process tree
-waiting out the ehvid.exe to 'finish'
-uninstalling patch kb955519
-deleting all files in Recorded TV
-deleting folder named something like C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg#-# and file named something like C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg#-#.db
-installing different codecs

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.