Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Laptop wont connect wirelessly with Belkin F5D8233-4

by frank6213 / March 12, 2008 11:47 AM PDT

I have a wireless network setup with one XP desktop using a Belkin N1 Wireless adapter a work XP Laptop which is connecting through a VPN to the router/internet fine but the new HP laptop with Vista will not connect wirelessly to the router now. I can hardwire it, the wireless sees the network but will not connect. Say's it is too low signal for the diagnostic tool what can I do to connect to the router wirelessly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Laptop wont connect wirelessly with Belkin F5D8233-4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Laptop wont connect wirelessly with Belkin F5D8233-4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before you spend too much time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 12:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
already wasted enough time
by frank6213 / March 14, 2008 8:55 AM PDT

The vista laptop had been working on the router prior to my wife taking it on vacation. It worked while at the hotel on their wifi. While she was gone I did get the desktop USB wireless up and running by added the mac address into the router to allow it to join. I have tried that with the laptop but can't locate the mac address for the wireless nic. I am assuming it would not be the same as the hardwired network adapter since it is listed in the device manager as two separtate items. I was not able to locate the patch you were refering to on that link. There were several different ones mentioned but most appeared to be for XP.

Collapse -
"added the mac address"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

That's bad. And not what we recommend at the link I noted. Your choice here to repeat what we've learned the hard way.

Check the link again about Vista not connecting to some routers.
Bob

Collapse -
Restored Factory Defaults, didn't help
by frank6213 / March 16, 2008 11:02 AM PDT

Reset the router back to factory defaults. set the security on the router, (had been without any security) still not able to connect the vista laptop by wireless. I am able to see the network but not connect to it. When we first brought it home it was working wirelessly fine. Our desktop xp had a netgear usb wireless adapter that just died one day. No lights or nothing. So I went and got another usb wireless for it, Linksys, didn't work, could not get it connected so took it back and got the belkin usb wireless adapter. At first couldn't get it to connect, till I added the mac address into the router. Now that it has been reset, my xp laptop (work) and my xp desktop connect but not the vista laptop. It will only connect to the router when wired. Is there something on the router? I am not sure any of the links on that site really refer to the issue I am having. It is pulling in an IP. Infact when looking at the router, it shows I have the IP's assigned to the vista laptop and only 1 to the other two computers.

Collapse -
The acid test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 12:01 PM PDT

Does that machine and adapter work at free wifi hotspots?

Collapse -
I had a porblem like this
by bus / March 16, 2008 12:12 PM PDT

I started with a belkin wireless setup when my vista computer was new. It always connected. Then the belkin wireless router died (thunder storm did it in and also took out cable modem). Replaced the cable modem and then the router. I used my old Linksys wired router. All my computers (win98, XP and Linux) connected no problem but the vista computer did something like what your problems are. One work around that clued me in was if I booted the router and only connected the Vista computer, then it would connect with no problem. Then I could turn on the other computers with no problems. This was a fix but it was a pain, so I found some more info.

See my old post.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=257588&messageID=2562097#2562097

This section of my old post maybe a fix for you "I did a search on ?preferred IP address Vista? this lead to a post with general instructions on ?Setting up IP Addresses in Windows Vista?[http://www.techduke.com/2007/06/25/setting-ip-addresses-in-windows-vista/ ]. After reviewing the section on ?Alternate IP Configuration?, I decided to try convening the Vista computer that its was being used on different LANs and therefore it must sometimes accept an un-preferred IP address. I followed the post and set up a static alternate IP address for my Vista computer. I did a best guess as to an un-used IP address and put in the other needed info per the post (I used the following IP address, 192.168.1.105)."

I think the problem is some how connected to Microsoft's "Network Access Protection" which is included in Vista. Here is a link.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/nap/napfaq.mspx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.