HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista laptop won't read burnt CD or DVD

by Bireshwari / February 28, 2011 5:57 PM PST

My TOSHIBA laptop (Satelite A200 preloaded with Vista Home Premium 6.0.6002 service pack 2)can't read mp3 cd (burnt with Nero6 on WindowsXP os)or movie dvd (burnt on laptop with Windows 7 os). But readily plays mp3 cd and dvd movies purchased from market.
Under CD/DVD ROM drives the Device Manager shows "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device"
Please help.
One more thing: laptop was purchased in UAE which is in region 5 of Toshiba, while it is being used in India (region 2 of Toshiba). Tried to change the region, but it won't. Could this also be contributing to my trouble?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista laptop won't read burnt CD or DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista laptop won't read burnt CD or DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: problems reading CD or DVD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 6:11 PM PST

I'd try an external drive first. If that works, another internal drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Unlikely
by Jimmy Greystone / February 28, 2011 10:08 PM PST

Unlikely, and actually those regions are set by the entertainment industry here in the states. Region 1 is North America, Region 2 is Western Europe, and so on. Toshiba has nothing to do with it. But unless you burned a region coded disc, which seems highly unlikely, then it has nothing to do with your problem.

It sounds like a simple case of the drive having given out. It might also just be that the drive is picky about recordable media. I work as a repair tech, and I had a system keep coming back 2-3 times because the person kept claiming that the optical drive wouldn't read burned media. Long story short, I traced it to the drive being fine, it just didn't like some cheap low quality discs that the customer was using. Not all recordable CDs and DVDs are created equal. Some are MUCH better quality than others, and it really depends on who made the actual disc. There's only about 5 companies that make all the blank CDs and DVDs in the world, other companies just contract with them to have their name slapped on them. Depending on the chemical used to coat the recordable surface, you will have better or worse results. Some drives, especially older ones, get kind of cranky and don't like low quality media.

So the first thing I'd try is a different brand of burnable CD/DVD. If that doesn't work, then if you can get your hands on an external drive, that would be an excellent next step. Ultimately though, odds are the laser on your internal drive is starting to go out and you'll have to have it replaced. Shouldn't be too expensive all told. I have no idea what the conversion rate is between USD and Indian Rupees, but the drive itself would probably cost in the area of $100US. If you do it yourself, obviously the labor's free, otherwise figure on some amount of money for labor fees as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.