Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Vista laptop vs XP network printer ? again...

by 2CV67 / December 26, 2007 10:42 PM PST

(?and Yes, I have tried the ?usual? fix of adding as local printer ? with no success ? details below.)

Hi guys!

I have read hundreds of threads on this subject, but am still stuck & would appreciate any advice.

I have a new Canon iP4300 printer attached by USB to a desktop PC running XP Home Edition (SP2) which has a USB wifi connexion to an Inventel DW-B-200 ADSL router & works fine.

I just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium (aagh!!!) which works OK via wifi & the same router, but I am unable to print on the iP4300 via my local network.

Here are some details:
Desktop PC name: DESKTOP
Printer name: p4300
Printer properties: shared : sharing name CanoniP4 (generated automatically?)
Laptop & desktop have same workgroup name
Both have an account ?Michelle? without password.
Normally I am using the account ?Michelle? on the laptop, but another account on the desktop ? does that matter?
The laptop has Norton (not for much longer!) & the desktop has Avast.
All firewalls are off ? except the one in the DW-B
Laptop can ping DESKTOP
Laptop cannot ping the printer by name, or I don?t know how (tried ?p4300? & ?CanoniP4? & ?DESKTOP\p4300? ? maybe I should try something else or maybe you can?t ping to USB printer anyway?)
Laptop can share files on DESKTOP OK ? I assume this means the network basics are OK?
Laptop ?Network? panel shows DESKTOP & double clicking on DESKTOP ikon shows the various printers which are or have been installed on DESKTOP ? p4300 appears as ?CanoniP4? & hovering the mouse over it shows ?p4300?.
Right clicking on this ikon & selecting ?connect? leads to a box showing ?connecting?? then a box saying I need to install the pilot. If I agree to install the pilot, then eventually everything freezes (I understand this is normal?).
Trying to add printer via Control Panel > Add Printer > Network > ?CanoniP4 on Desktop? gives the same result as above.
Trying via Control Panel > Add Printer > Network > Not Shown > Select by name > \\DESKTOP\p4300 gives the same result as above.

Some other things I tried:
1. Installing the printer directly on the laptop using the installation CD & USB connexion ? that works OK including printing via USB but still unable to print via network & desktop ? still get asked to install pilot, although the pilot is already installed! Pilot is at: C:\Program Files\CanonBJ\IJPrinter\Canon iP4300\Prn2KXP. (Canon site says Vista & XP use same pilot).
2. Installing new driver from Canon USA site (but dated 11/01/2006). As I obviously did not connect the printer at the end of the installation, I got an error message to say the program had maybe not installed OK. I tried again & selected the option to select the port manually, then selected LPT1 (in ignorance). This gave no error message but when I try to print via printer on LPT1 there is no reaction at the real printer.
3. The solution that seemed to work on most threads ? Control Panel > Printers > Add Printer > Local > New Port > Local Port > Name new port \\DESKTOP\p4300 does not work for me. This gave error message ?Cannot find Network Name?.

At this point I would be very grateful for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista laptop vs XP network printer ? again...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista laptop vs XP network printer ? again...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Progress...
by 2CV67 / December 29, 2007 1:27 AM PST

Some progress.

Main problem above has been due to incorrect choice of printer name (red face)!
Correct path name is \\DESKTOP\CanoniP4 & not \\DESKTOP\p4300
Both names show in net view & the CanoniP4 name only appears under printer properties as the "Sharing name" presumably generated automatically.
Moral: run net view & the right name is on the left!

I re-installed the pilot from Canon website & manually selected the \\DESKTOP\CanoniP4 port at the end.
This allowed printing the standard test page & also my simple test document, apparently OK.

But every time followed by a screen message about needing to install a pilot to use this printer!

I rechecked the printer connected by USB directly to the laptop & printed out the Windows Test Page OK with no message about pilots.

The test pages by USB & by network are identical apart from the port names.
All the pilot details are identical on both sheets.

Question now is why the network connected printer thinks it needs a new pilot?

Collapse -
Correction
by 2CV67 / December 29, 2007 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Progress...

Sorry I should have said "driver" not "pilot" - poor translation from French.

Collapse -
Solution
by 2CV67 / January 4, 2008 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Correction

EUREKA !!!

It now works but I never found out where the problem was?

Missing out the MANY tests which failed, this is what worked:

Uninstalled iP4300 from both machines.

Downloaded same driver package ip4300vst200ea23us.exe from Canon USA site to both machines.
Note: Canon Europe site has different driver packages for Vista & XP whereas Canon USA has same for both.
I suppose that should not matter, but?

Installed driver on Desktop & switched on printer on USB > works fine.
Shared printer.

Installed driver on Laptop & switched on printer on USB > works fine.
Shared printer.

From XP > Add printer > local > select port = iP4300 on Laptop > use current driver.
Prints OK from XP Desktop to Vista Laptop.

With printer back on Desktop USB:
From Laptop > Network > Desktop > iP4300 > Connect (no error message!!!)
Control Panel > Printers now shows local & network printer.
Control Panel > Printers > iP4300 on Desktop > Properties > Print Test Page > OK
Other printing from Vista Laptop to XP Desktop OK.

No error messages.

One day whenI am feeling more scientific than tired, I may try backtracking to see what recreates the problem, but today I feel more tired than scientific?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?