HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista keeps restarting and won't boot after Optional Updates

by Dr_Lecter / December 4, 2008 1:56 AM PST

Hello,
When the PC restarts, it doesn't matter if I try to use safe mode, last good config, or start windows normally, it keeps restarting the machine but never boots.
My system is brand new. There are no USB devices connected to it (except mouse and keyboard).
The problem occurs when trying to install one (ore more) of the below updates.
- (standard mouse types) - imput - USB HID -compliant mouse
- NVIDIA corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller
- NVIDIA corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce serial ATA Controller
- NVIDIA corporation driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
- NVIDIA corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce Network Controller
Realtek Semicondutor Corp. - Network - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
- Samsung - Other Hardware - SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)

I haven't try to install one update at a time yet but will do on the next few days and report which one is the problem maker.

computer details:
CPU: INTEL QUAD CORE Q9550
HD's: 2 X 320GB SATA II 3GB 16MB 7200RPM HD in RAID-0
MOBO: EVGA NFORCE 680I SLI 775 MB
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel, + 2 X 1G DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY
VIDEO CARDS: 2 X EVGA NVIDIA 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista keeps restarting and won't boot after Optional Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista keeps restarting and won't boot after Optional Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's an old lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 4:32 AM PST

Microsoft didn't make your machine and causes many machines to need reinstalling of the OS if you accept drivers from them.

These are optional for a reason.

Collapse -
No reboot after optional updates
by ec_sincity / January 20, 2009 8:48 PM PST

I had the same problem and I was starting to pull my hair out !.

I was advised to NEVER allow windows update to download drivers for the hardware , and you know what ? , I reinstalled Vista and updated fully (minus the drivers) and the problem was gone.The drivers you require are almost always listed on your hardware vendors website anyways , and atleast there you get the option to choose which release version of the driver you require , in some instances I have had to stay one step behind the latest release to get things working correctly.

This may not work for everyone but it did for me , hope this is of help to you.

Collapse -
driver updates
by sahanf5 / January 28, 2009 4:24 AM PST

how do we skip the updates on the drivers only?

Collapse -
Since you have to opt in to install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: driver updates

Don't do that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.