Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista keep asking for drivers

by moondy / May 23, 2007 7:36 PM PDT

Hi,
I am having this very annoying issue with my laptop. First off my ASUS G1 is a great laptop so that's why I'm asking in the Vista section as i reckon its definitely Vistas fault.

My issue is this. I stick anything in my USB drive (that shouldn't need drivers) and it asks to search for it. I search for it and it says it cant find it. So Vista says it didn't properly install.
Some examples of what doesn't work is my ipod, other peoples USB's and my camcorder.

This is also an issue when i use bluetooth for ANYTHING or even SD cards.

Whats even more annoying is my rebranded ASUS mouse works, (only when i installed the driver which i shouldn't have to as in my friends laptop it doesn't ask) and my Brother 2040HL printer works after installing the driver.

My specs shouldn't be an issue but here it is anyway:
2GHZ Duel Core 2
2GB DRR2 667mhz
512mb G07700
120GB HD 5400RPM

Thanks a lot guys,
Jonathan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista keep asking for drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista keep asking for drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually this is why I pan the noname laptops...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2007 11:01 PM PDT

This model doesn't appear to come preloaded with Vista proper and the owners end up on support channels all over.

You paid dearly for this laptop so why doesn't it just work?

-> Let's try this. Keeping in mine that installing any version of Windows on a laptop takes near guru skills I'll give you my answer and you'll have to tell me which words you don't understand.

"Install the motherboard support drivers from the machine's maker."

That usually clears up USB memory stick errors like you noted.

Some examples of what doesn't work is my ipod, other peoples USB's and my camcorder.

Now this is hard for me to write without possible dented feelings on your part. No known version of Windows yet has drivers for the ipod and video cameras on USB. If there is one glaring fault it's that many are viewing Windows as some sort of pickup truck. A pickup truck can haul whatever we put in it's bed given it's within the load limit. A Windows pickup truck would need adapters for each load.

This has been this way since Windows 1.0 and has never changed.

Bob

Collapse -
thats great...but you didnt really answer the question
by moondy / May 24, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I'm from Australia. So for some reason i got my ASUS G1 with 2 changes.
160GB down to 120GB and..
XP Media centre to Vista Ultimate.

So no i didn't get conned and trust me i would have rather had the US version but whatever i don't mind that much.

The only thing that had any value to your reply was the way you said 'update your motherboard drivers'.

So ill see if i can and ill get back to you.

In the mean time anyone else care to explain this seemingly stupid issue?

Collapse -
"In the mean time anyone else care to explain this seemingl
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

"
In the mean time anyone else care to explain this seemingly stupid issue?
"

It's Windows. The drivers issue is going to make the Macintosh become more attractive to those that don't want to deal with driver hell.

-> I think I was not blunt enough. Windows doesn't have the drivers for the items you listed except the usual memory stick.

Bob

Collapse -
asus drivers
by mark04276 / May 24, 2007 7:26 AM PDT
http://support.asus.com/download/

enter notebook first drop down for product
pick G1 series next drop down
third drop down select G1
then search

now this will bring yo to your downloads...go to ulilities and get the vista stuff

definately the intel inf

but you will also want the asus utility thing, bluetooth, probally camera and whatever else looks good.
Collapse -
I got this laptop less then 2 months ago
by moondy / May 24, 2007 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: asus drivers

So surely they would have installed all the latest drivers after February, i got this in late March.

Also forgot to mention, my bluetooth worked and some of my USBs also worked but now there's nothing. But my Ipod never worked.

Very unique problem in my opinion.

Collapse -
"XP Media centre to Vista Ultimate"
by glb613 / May 24, 2007 10:29 PM PDT

When you change operating systems, you must download and install drivers for your hardware and peripherals. Do your USB ports work? If not, get the Vista drivers for them. You also need to install the software and/or drivers for your iPod and camera.

Collapse -
once again misunderstood
by moondy / May 24, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

I did not swap from Media Centre to Vista Ultimate it came preloaded. My USB ports clearly work as i stated before my own USB, mouse and printer works. Then all of a sudden nothing worked after those 3 things. My ipod shouldn't need drivers as it worked also before for like a day or 2, it seemed to just erase all my music then wasnt even detected. My Ipod works on other computers. It also charges. I have tried many things for my computer to detect the ipod thus no avail.

As i said before this problem is a very unique one and one that seems to get more and more complex as you people keep on attempting to solve it, which i appreciate of course but i still require assistance from someone who might be a little more experienced with Vista.

Collapse -
Wish I was able to share 20 years of Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

While you are right that today it's amazing that we still have to deal with drivers, your comment about the ipod is telling.

Let's say I get a new Vista PC. It doesn't come with iTunes installed and when I plug in an iPod Vista doesn't work with it and you get an odd item in the device manager.

Sadly until you get over your expectation that you shouldn't have to deal with drivers we won't be able to make progress on your machine's issue.

The issue is NOT unique. Your view however is.

Bob

Collapse -
You are misunderstood because of the way
by glb613 / May 24, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

you provide information.

There are know issues with iTunes 7 and Vista. I don't know if that has been fixed since I don't use that program on my Vista computer.

Collapse -
try this
by r9c / May 25, 2007 6:49 PM PDT

Try searching ur usb pendrive driver over at this folder at ur pc
C/Windows/System32/Driverstore
Hope this works for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.