Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Vista, just when I got used to XP!

by Cindi Haynes / February 10, 2007 12:27 PM PST

Criminy, Mr. Gates!

I just learn how to navigate about in XP, which is sorta like 2000, which is not like ME, which is sorta like 98, which is sorta like 95, which is sorta like 3.1, which was nothing like DOS, and now this Vista creature is confounding all my efforts!!

I just bought a new laptop today, and it came with Vista (hadn't counted on that!) and I can't find a thing!!

Just venting, y'all!
Cindi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista, just when I got used to XP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista, just when I got used to XP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's that much a learning curve.....
by James Denison / February 10, 2007 3:16 PM PST

...why not take the opportunity to switch over to Linux?

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Broadband? Download the CD iso image and burn to disc. You can try out the
system on CD first before installing. This is known as "Live CD" type of Linux.
You can always boot to CD if you want
and have it just keep a folder on the harddrive with your preferred settings
so you don't have to redo them each boot. I've use this one at times no my current
computer and the only hardware it's had any problem with is the software modem, but
no problem at all hooking into my LAN and broadband connection through my router. Everything
was recognized and working on the first boot, and I've not messed around with seeing if the
dialup modem can be configured easily, manually or not since I rarely use it.

http://www.linspire.com/product_page.php
Try out Linspire, previously called "Lindows". Very much like Windows programs
and Linspire has CNR service for subscribers (some cost) which is a large library
of various Linux based programs which install as easily as Windows based programs.
You can download the "Freespire" version and burn to CD to try out first.
http://freespire.org/
http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Quick_Tour_of_Freespire
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=709&slide=2
clk on thumb to the right for screen shots on above page.

Or try Ubuntu, another easy to use, easy to install, test from CD first type of Linux
based system. http://www.ubuntu.com/
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
This is probably the best page to use.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop has some information about the system with decent screenshots.
Also a link at bottom to their "Live CD" version which allows trying it out on CD before installing it,
similar to Knoppix. Supposed to be more of an African color based themes, more "earthy" and concentrates
on ease of use. I've not tried it yet.

Collapse -
Switch to Linux, and kiss all your application programs good
by Kiddpeat / February 10, 2007 10:40 PM PST

bye. Also, hope that all your hardware is supported, and that you don't need much tech support.

If Windows is confusing, I suspect Linux will be very bad news.

Collapse -
Linspire
by James Denison / February 11, 2007 2:06 AM PST

I think it comes with Wine, which is a Windows emulator and allows many
windows based programs to run. I don't know the percentage of effectiveness
it has compared to the most popular windows based programs though. Same thing
happened in Windows to DOS based games. For my children's favorite ones I had
to install a 6.22 DOS folder and to make access easier loaded most to hard drive
and created specialized PIF file for each one with a shortcut to start the
game.

Collapse -
Microsoft Office and its ilk are not computer games which
by Kiddpeat / February 11, 2007 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Linspire

one would want to treat with "I don't know if it will work, but it might." That's why Linux has had to try to push replacements in order to sell itself.

Collapse -
Nothing's a perfect solution
by James Denison / February 11, 2007 5:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Linux? Been there, done that. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 5:34 AM PST

I ran it awhile, until I realized I needed my applications back. Wink

I'm getting around in Vista better today. Happy
Cindi

Collapse -
Just remember...
by grimgraphix / February 10, 2007 3:28 PM PST

... it looks just like Mac OS 10... but doesn't work anything like it! Happy

I played around with it last week at Sam's Club's computer section. It's pretty but I have to admit I was a bit lost myself. I will stick with my XP tower and my mac laptop until I'm forced to switch to Vista.

BTW... which version of Vista does it come with? And which version of extra streangth pain reliever gets rid of the head ache? Wink

Good luck Cindi and let us know when your ready to tutor the rest of us!

grim

Collapse -
Thanks, grim!
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Just remember...

I was thinking I might have to break out the narcotic-type pain relievers! Once I slept on it though, my second day is getting much more productive.

I bought a Compaq Presario V6000 notebook, and it came with Vista Home Premium Edition. Strangely enough, it was other MS products that caused most of the conflicts! Since it's a notebook, the only real peripheral I had to worry about was my all-in-one printer, but their website said that Vista had a driver for it, and sure enough, that was about the easiest thing to set up!

Not sure about the tutoring part...even though I'm finding things, I'm not sure I could find them again! LOL

Cindi

Collapse -
Disc?
by James Denison / February 11, 2007 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, grim!

Did it come with Restore or Operating System Discs? We deliberately bought the
XP version for Christmas (basically same Compaq laptop) so we'd get disc for
the Vista system. The XP laptop with free upgrade to Vista required over 15 CD's to
backup the system, and even if the DVD's had worked in the one time backup program on
the laptop it would have taken several of those too. Her Vista upgrade disc haven't come
yet, seems AFTER filling out the first step, she'd not read the email that required
yet more to be filled out later. That's done and now she waits for Vista to show up.

Collapse -
Nope, they've created a seperate partition on the hard drive
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Disc?

for the restore functions. I hate that, because you're boned if the hard drive goes.

I just looked...the restore partition is 6.61 GB, with 648 MB free.

Cindi

Collapse -
Same with the Christmas XP models.
by James Denison / February 11, 2007 9:14 AM PST

I thought they'd do the same with Vista models as with the XP models at Christmas.
We knew they'd send actual upgrade disc for Vista later, so just had to go for the laptop
then to have Vista disc. That way there is a choice of WHEN to install
the Vista, and ability to return to XP anytime too. It was too good a deal to pass up
since one daughter needed a laptop. I don't understand why they don't include some DVD
disc with the OS on it? Seems a small added cost to the package. The problem I have with
the system they use now is if you need to replace the hard drive, it could be problematic
unless you get the disc from the notebook manufacturer.

Have you tried the "one time only" program to burn the system to discs? Did the CD or DVD? Any
problems with the burn or program? For some reason, although the DVD burner will burn the disc
my daughter bought, the program for making your own backup disc wouldn't work with DVD, but did for
the CD's. It's a lot of CD disc to burn though.

Collapse -
(NT) Haven't tried it yet, James. Still finding my way around.
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 10:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi James,
by Cindi Haynes / February 13, 2007 2:38 AM PST

I just looked into the Recovery Disk thingy. <---technical term. Happy

It says for mine, it will take 10 CDs, 2 DVDs, or 1 dual-sided DVD.

I'll get a couple DVDs and burn those, but I also ordered a set of recovery disks directly from Compaq/HP. They work differently, so that gives me two ways to go in case of disaster. LOL

I do like how Vista keeps all my data files together much more easily than other versions of Windows. It will be much easier to make data backups.

Cindi

Collapse -
Let me know how it goes on the DVD's
by James Denison / February 13, 2007 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: Hi James,

I'm assuming you will try those first. I didn't know you could get recovery
disc from HP/Compaq anymore. Good to know. Any cost above shipping charge? Aw, let
me know later when you can comment on the DVD burn too.

Collapse -
Hi James,
by Cindi Haynes / February 14, 2007 10:28 AM PST

Well, I tried to burn the recovery disks today, using 2 DVDs. Couldn't get it to work, it burned, but failed verification. Tried twice, no joy. I'm using Staples brand DVDs, not sure if that's an issue or not. Since it was the first time I'd tried the burner, I took another DVD and burned some data, which it seemed to do just fine with.

Beats me! I'm glad I ordered the recovery disks from HP! They were about 15 bucks, by the way.

Other than that, I'm really liking this computer, and Vista too!

Cindi

Collapse -
Thank You!
by James Denison / February 14, 2007 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: Hi James,

AHA! I KNEW it wasn't just us. That darn program just doesn't work right at all!
We ended up doing the CD's instead. HP/Compaq sent those laptops out with defective
software for making the backup onto DVD's. Your experience is enough to confirm that
to me at least. I'm going to have Niki see if she can get HP to send her the Recovery
disc for the XP system too. I'm not sure they will since she's applied for the Vista upgrade,
but they should since the laptop sold with XP on it.

Collapse -
So y'all tried the DVD route?
by Cindi Haynes / February 15, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!

I admit I was surprised it didn't work, since it's supposedly a one-shot deal! So, did the CD method work? If so, I still might try that. The more insurance the better. Happy

The recovery disks are hard to find on the HP site. If you don't have any luck, I'll see if I can find it again and post a link. They do warn you that the recovery disks you order work differently than the ones you burn.

Cindi

Collapse -
Yes
by James Denison / February 15, 2007 6:28 AM PST

We tried the DVD route because who wants 18 CD disc operating system to reload
later if needed? I wonder if they will have an update to that program which
actually lets the DVD disc burning work? I'm just going to mention to Niki to
order the HP disc like you did. The CD burning part worked fine.

Collapse -
An idea
by James Denison / February 16, 2007 4:27 AM PST

You already ordered Vista Restore disc, but you mentioned you'd have liked
the XP system on the computer. I went there and noticed some laptops still
showed several systems you could order. You probably could have ordered the XP
system for your laptop and they'd probably have sent it. I'm thinking you might
still could do that. Go to the Restore CD order page again AFTER you get the
Vista Restore discs and put in another order the same way, but choose the XP
system instead. I'm thinking for $15.70 shipping charge they'll send it to you.

Collapse -
(NT) They'd probably catch that. Besides, I'm liking Vista. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / February 16, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: An idea
Collapse -
Too bad it was the Home Premium Edition...
by Edward ODaniel / February 14, 2007 5:02 AM PST

if you see if they will allow you to upgrade to either the Business or Ultimate edition you get the updated NTBackup which images your system allowing complete restoration (even on a new hard drive if necessary).

You can read about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/completepcbackup.mspx

Of course if the upgrade is not feasible you might consider a third party imaging system such as Acronis True Image. Restoring an image is so much nicer and quicker than re-installing piecemeal.

Collapse -
Christmas edition
by James Denison / February 10, 2007 3:58 PM PST

Check out the Christmas edition of Ubuntu.
http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=Ubuntu%20Christmas%20Edition
At the bottom there is a listing of many editions of Linux, including the ones
I mentioned before. You clk on one of those editions and you can then use the side
bar slider to move thumbnails of screenshots. Clk on the captures you want to view.
Since you like cute animations and cartoon characters, you probably would like Kubuntu
version of Ubuntu better, it uses the KDE interface instead of Gnome. Has a cute green
dragon for it's mascot. One other that might interest you for the look is the PCLinuxOS.

Collapse -
Congrats, Cindi, you're a guinea pig...
by Paul C / February 10, 2007 9:02 PM PST

...in that you get to deal with that OS during all the teething pains; make sure you tell us when Service Pack 1 comes out (based on Win XP, that ought to be somewhere around April or May). Wink

I waited almost a year to upgrade from 98 to XP - deliberately. I wanted the first major Service Packs to be issued before I leaped. SP1 had been released when I did upgrade, and I got a SP2 CD when it came out.

I am in NO hurry to upgrade to Vista, especially since it looks that a new PC will be part of the upgrade cost...

Collapse -
Vista
by marinetbryant / February 10, 2007 10:47 PM PST

Got a HP circular. They all have Vista, some Home Basic and some Home Premium. I'll follow the herd and wait. Good luck tho, keep us informed!

Tom

Collapse -
I am, Paul!
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 5:46 AM PST

I had sorta forgotten about Vista! I also waited for XP to finish its teething pains. The laptop was sort of a spur-of-the-moment purchase. I needed a new one, but was not in a hurry. I saw a good deal on this one though, so I bit. AFTERWARD, I realized it came with Vista.

Ahh, well. I needed some excitement in my life! Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
A couple of thoughts, Cndi
by Angeline Booher / February 11, 2007 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Angeline :-)
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 5:48 AM PST

I'm doing better with it today. It IS an adventure, but some poking and prodding and I'm finding what I need. Have you bought your Mac yet? Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
I'm waiting for.... .
by Angeline Booher / February 11, 2007 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Angeline :-)

... its new OS, Leopard, to be released, sometime this spring.

I hang around their forums here, and learning some about how their OS works. There is a tutorial at the Apple site that tellls the differences in the two, navigation, etc.

But I'll probably forget all when faced with it. :-)Talk about a learning curve! But I recall being told with my 1st W95, just play around and see what is what. Happy

My printer and scanner aren't compatible, but my camera software will work just fine. By getting an all-in-one, the package will cost less than the PCs I've checked out. I know all of my stuff won't transfer, but my photos and address book should. (I'll have one of their guys do that.)Outside of a few emails I want to keep, I can do without the rest.

Glad , but really not surprised, that you are starting to feel at home with Vista!!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Thanks, Angeline :-)
by Cindi Haynes / February 11, 2007 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: I'm waiting for.... .

Be sure to let me know how you like the Mac, when you do finally take the plunge!

Cindi

Collapse -
Same thinking here.......
by Glenda / February 11, 2007 9:24 PM PST

I would still be using Win98SE if I hadn't bought two new PC's! Took some getting used too. Besides having to take Jim thru the new OS! I had to learn fast so he didn't kill his new PC! The ONLY way Vista will be on a PC I own is if I buy a new one with it installed!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.