Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista installation - I need help please...

by MastiffShack / May 27, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

Background:
[indent]I have a system, built by a local PC supplier, and installed with Windows XP Pro x64, OEM version.

The system is as follows: Asus M2N32SLI Delux, on board RealTek 8187 WiFi, on board duel nVidia Eithernet 10/100/1G ports, 4GB RAM, 480GB HDD (3x160) SATA 7200rpm, Asus x48 SATA DVD/CD dual layer, nVidia GeForce 7600GS 512MB, AMD Athlon 64bit dual-core 4200+, standard clocking at 2.21GHz.

Configured for dual-boot: Windows XP Pro (C partition) and Windows XP Pro x64 (D partition).

The system is used for dual purpose: 1) My day job using iPass/Nortel VPN to corporate networks for standard Office Suite, mainfram, mainframe software development in addition to heavy data intensive applications - C partition; 2) Compatability testing for products provided by my corporation and others - D drive (x64).

I am not a nuts-n-bolts type of guy, but instead test office, CAD, communication, and other types of software for ease of installation and use in the x64 environment.[/indent]

Issue:
[indent]1) Attempted install of Windows Vista Business x64 to partition D. This was to be a clean install (i.e. not upgrade) and chose options accordingly.
2) Installation went very well, until the end where a re-boot was triggered.
3) At that point, the "blue-screen-of-death" appeared, lasted for approximately 3 seconds, and the re-boot cycle started over.
4) The re-boot cycle continued (following display of same screen) for about 4-5 times before I could stop it and trigger a CD-boot.
5) After the triggered cd-boot, I was able to effectively restart the installation. Once again, all seemed well, until the end, when I received the same response.
6) All attempts to use my dual-boot option (i.e. boot to Win XP Pro) failed in favor of the "Vista option".
7) Final solution, reinstall Win XP Pro x64 as a new install (format D drive). This preserved my day-job partition and will allow me to have a job for a little longer.[/indent]

Questions:
[indent]1) The aborted install left what appears to be Vista folders on my C drive - why is not known, as the target for the install was th D drive. I plan on deleting them, but wanted to make sure there was nothing there that might help someone diag the issue - can I delete them?
2) Would an attempted install work better if I boot to Win XP Pro x64 and choose the upgrade option?
3) What is the .iso file I keep hearing about, and would a down load of the file help out in this case? If so, how is it used and when?[/indent]

Thank you for any type of help that is possible.

- Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista installation - I need help please...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista installation - I need help please...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions:
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Questions:
[indent]1) The aborted install left what appears to be Vista folders on my C drive - why is not known, as the target for the install was th D drive. I plan on deleting them, but wanted to make sure there was nothing there that might help someone diag the issue - can I delete them?

Short answers? Yes.

2) Would an attempted install work better if I boot to Win XP Pro x64 and choose the upgrade option?

Worth a shot but Vista is proving to be rough on "built" machines. You get to find out if a BIOS is no good, some card isn't supported, etc. x64 was supposed to be a pre-run to all things MS controlled like you see in Server 2003.

3) What is the .iso file I keep hearing about, and would a down load of the file help out in this case? If so, how is it used and when?[/indent]

Never heard of such except those Vista Beta's. There are some Vista ISOs on P2P but such are best forgotten and wouldn't apply to this issue.

Bottomline. Did the maker claim it ran Vista? If so, let them install a blank new drive (don't touch the working one) and have them sort out the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
The suggestions are great -
by MastiffShack / May 27, 2007 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Questions:

Thank you for the reply, and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

As to the builder, he has not made such claims. However, Asus has - specifically indicating that the M2N32-SLI Delux board would support it; and providing the Vista specific drivers for Video, Audio, and SATA.

As to a new install, I shall attempt the clear/build option mentioned. Nice thing though, I have a clean/unused 160GB SATA I can plug into the #1 slot and start new (didn't think of that.) - Thus leaving my primary/work drive untouched - excellent idea too.

Bening such a new OS, I'm sure 12-24 months from now, they'll have these types of problems resolved, but I have the new one now, and any new publications won't help me then.

Well, once again, thank you all for the help - great suggestions; and maybe one shall work.

- Jim

Collapse -
Several notes...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

1.) C:\ is the primary bootable partition, and the one initially checked when you boot up. Vista saves some files there because it must be able to load its boot manager before XP's NTLDR is loaded. That part is normal. I'd want to know exactly what it saved on the C:\ drive before you start deleting it, though, just to be safe.

2.) Usually a clean install is the better option, but as Bob said it's certainly worth a try.

3.) ISO files are CD/DVD images from which you can burn your own disc. If you purchase Vista online direct from Microsoft that's what you'll receive, unless you order the DVD. When burned it is identical to what you already have. Note that the ISO files on P2P networks and torrents are illegal and possible corrupt. I would avoid them at all costs.

4.) Are those SATA drives in any type of RAID setup? If so, you may want to try providing the appropriate drivers (if available) during installation. Not as big a deal as it was with XP, but still needed from time to time.

5.) If you try a clean install again, boot to the XP CD and completely reformat that secondary partition, then try booting from the Vista DVD for another install attempt. Now and then system files from XP will prevent a clean installation from taking place, so it's best to start with a clean slate.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
Folders left on C
by MastiffShack / May 27, 2007 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Several notes...

The folders/files that were left on my C drive (although D was the target) include:

$WINDOWS.~LS (folder)
$DRVLTR$ (object)

Folders left on my D drive (as the target) were - well, I can't remember. I reloaded my XP x64 already.

Not using RAID at this time - just preparing for it (as it is a big expense to loose data.)

I'll get out of the dynamic spanning of drives (2 x 160GB) for my I: drive (little data on it now, and unlikely to have anythng spanned yet.) Then use that drive as the empty/new drive for the install.

Gentlemen, this is the most help I've received todate on this issue, and I am very greatful.

Thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) Safe to delete and good luck!
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2007 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Folders left on C
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.