Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista in Self Destruct mode

by LVFreeter / January 31, 2009 2:33 AM PST

Thank you all in advance for any support you may lend to my issue.
I've checked back in the threads and haven't seen anything similar, so HELP!

System Data - Toshiba laptop - P-105 series Satellite with a 2 gig processor, 220 gig drive and 2 gig of ram. It's a 32-bit system.
Software - Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 and Office 2003
I am using Trend Micro with spyware as virus protection.

I bought the laptop from BestBuy just over a year ago.

About 6 months ago, Vista started self-destructing. Features like the trash bin would simply disappear never to be found again. This continued until Vista lost so many links and programs that I had to take the box back to BestBuy.

They did a complete system diagnostic that confirmed that all hardware was working properly. Couldn't find any answers for the way that Vista killed itself.

I had thought it a virus but Trend Micro is supposed to be the best. The techs at BB indicated that there were over 50 viruses of assorted types on the drive, which contributed to the issue.

They wiped the drive and reinstalled which was a nightmare in itself, restoring programs, trying to restore back-ups, etc.

Deep in conversation with Trend, they said that it couldn't have been possible. Right. . . . :-/

The folks at BB have been super and suggested that at least part of the issues were Vista itself.

Segue to today - the same issues -
I have experienced virtually the same issues yet again. Vista is dropping programs, Office acts differently every time I open it, desktop directories never look the same.

There are two new tricks this time. The keyboard seems to have a mind of its own, missing keystrokes at will, making me seem illiterate and I keep dropping wireless connection with Vista never finding out why.

Trend finally found a virus and cleaned it up but I keep getting a Crypto virus attached to my System 32 spooler

Vista is in self-destruct mode yet again. My user profile is corrupt, and I am losing access

If Trend is supposed to be the premium virus product, why are viruses seemingly sliding by? They finally upgraded me to version 9.0 by the way and had me install Hijack This and SysClean

Vista is still in self-destruct mode and I'm slowly going crazy.
I don't know if it's Trend Micro or Vista but this really has to stop.
Wiping the drive is not an option.

This laptop purely for business - I don't surf trash sites and am very careful about opening any email attachments unless I do a quick scan on them first.

So - got any recommendations or suggestions?
Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista in Self Destruct mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista in Self Destruct mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see an issue here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 3:02 AM PST

You seem to be relying on an antivirus when the threats have evolved past those packages.

Today, that new memory stick, CD/DVD, USB hard disks have an AUTORUN infection path that Trend and most others did not guard against.

-> Let's skip all the discussion about what all these are since you would need a crash course and you need solutions.

Step 1. Use Grif's advice from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=319857&messageID=2925588&tag=forums06;posts#2925588

Scan and eject what those find.

Step 2. Fortify your defenses. Here's an AUTORUN EATER that is something to block this new infection path -> http://www.download.com/Autorun-Eater/3000-2239_4-10752777.html

Step 3. Create a DISASTER PLAN.

It sounds like your disaster plan needs work. What this plan is, is how you recover from a lost machine, wiped hard disk and such.
Bob

Collapse -
I see an issue here - reply
by LVFreeter / February 1, 2009 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: I see an issue here.

Hi Bob - thanks so much for your kind post.

Actually, I do have an exit strategy - I have a 500g portable drive that I regularly back up to [AND scan for viruses]and I use Carbonite on-line back up.
I appreciate the two links and have downloaded them to use during the game this evening.

I'll let you know what they find - although we rarely use thumb drives. . . I guess once is enough. . .

Thanks so much for your support. I'm really at the end of my rope here.

Bill

Collapse -
Hopefully ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 5:53 AM PST

This extends the rope or tossed out a fresh one.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by LVFreeter / February 1, 2009 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Hopefully ...

Hi Bob -

Installed both and am running Malwarebyte in full system config

Thanks again, lets see what happens -

I appreciate your support

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!