Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Vista HP Factory Image and Windows 7

by stvbisram / November 2, 2009 2:52 AM PST

I have two PCs one with 64 bit vista and one with 32 bit vista, I chose the 32 bit for windows 7 because that's my main media center PC. I want to install windows 7 premium 64 bit on my HP media center PC with 32 bit vista premium, it came with a factory image and i already made my Recovery disc. I'm going to have to do a clean install since its 32 bit going to 64 bit. Some people are reporting problems who are in my situation if i was to encounter problems can i just use my recovery disc and go back to vista? If i did encounter problems i want to just go back to vista and install windows 7 on my 64 bit PC. thanks in advance for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista HP Factory Image and Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista HP Factory Image and Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes you can use the recovery disc to go back to vista
by JRGil / November 2, 2009 7:42 AM PST

But if you have a windows 7 upgrade disc it shouldn't be a problem. The problems you heard about were those who downloaded the $30 student upgrade and tried going from 32 to 64 bit.

Collapse -
Sorry, its a student upgrade
by stvbisram / November 2, 2009 9:41 AM PST

JRGiL I'm so sorry but i forgot to mention that I have the student upgrade, but i also have paid extra for the bootable DVD and that's what I'm going to use it sucks though because now I am seeing the ISO is being made available for students on other websites. Thanks a lot for your help also will my secondary hard drive E show up in "My Computer" after the install, a co-worker is telling that it won't. Thanks Again in advance.

Collapse -
Regarding the secondary drive
by sharmajunior / November 2, 2009 11:01 PM PST

If your secondary drive does not show up in my computer.

Simply click Start (Windows Orb), right click on computer and go into ---Manage.

-> Select Disk Management from the list on the left
-> Check to see if the drive is there and then right click on the drive and select change drive letter and paths and it should be straight forward from there.

Collapse -
Regarding Win 7 upgrade
by sharmajunior / November 2, 2009 10:57 PM PST

It doesn't matter if you have a student upgrade. Windows 7 just needs to see a valid licensed copy of a previous OS on the computer to let you upgrade.

The problem people are having has to do with the HP_Recovery partition being present there. Here are the steps to install it (since you have backup discs, there is nothing to worry about):

Before following any of the steps listed below, be sure to run Windows 7 upgrade advisor to check for any application and driver compatibility issues.

1. Boot from Win 7 CD
2. Always do a clean/custom install (never an upgrade) to avoid any minor or major compatibility issues. [BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE DOING THIS]
3. Delete the recovery partition (let the space return to the system), and reformat the whole drive.
4. Now install Win 7 on your computer.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Upgrade - factory image
by colewis / November 25, 2009 11:59 AM PST

I recently upgraded from Vista to Win 7. I did not first delete the factory image. Is the factory image that is there now of any value? If not should I sijply delete it?

Collapse -
Regarding existing image
by sharmajunior / November 25, 2009 2:47 PM PST

If you are definite that you like windows 7 and/or have the previous operating system (either XP or Vista, whatever your computer came with) on CD, then you may go ahead and delete the partition. It will give you more hard drive space to work with (Approx. 10 GB or so).

It is only of any value to you if you wish to go back to the previous operating system.

Collapse -
Thank you
by colewis / November 30, 2009 12:31 AM PST

Thank you for responding to my question regarding the factory image file. I cannot think of any reason to go back to Vista!

Collapse -
As long have you have your original CD's
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 5, 2009 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?