Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Home Premium: "Spooler SubSystem App Stopped" message

OS=Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Installed on ACER Aspire M5200 2.2 GHZ
4 GB Ram
64 bit operating system

Other than possible automatic updates to windows, McAfee no other changes have been made to system!!!
any sugestions would be appreciated.

I get this message: "Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"
It then shows no printers installed (there are 3)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Home Premium: "Spooler SubSystem App Stopped" message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Home Premium: "Spooler SubSystem App Stopped" message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not explaining it.

In reply to: Vista Home Premium: "Spooler SubSystem App Stopped" message

Collapse -
don't care WHY...just how to fix!!!!

In reply to: Not explaining it.

I went to the posting you supplied via the link....but my registry only contains the same file path up to a point...Start -> Run - Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 ->
Control -> Print -> Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> (this is where it is different..) ->Version -3 -> Remove
here is the information I get on the problem report...
Product
Spooler SubSystem App

Problem
Stopped working

Date
29/11/2008 5:42 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: spoolsv.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 4791a2af
Fault Module Name: ZSR.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.20.1625.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 462fe8cf
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000002b54c
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: c302
Additional Information 2: e4987853a1bc8863e54900eb2ed9bd6d
Additional Information 3: d331
Additional Information 4: 9dc7d95465c5f8183261aeb3fd566bfb

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1091870

I don't care why...just how to fix!

Collapse -
So far, haven't found a fix.

In reply to: don't care WHY...just how to fix!!!!

I have found it happen less often with latest motherboard chipset, video and printer drivers but so far a few machines have me doing service stopping, file and registry cleaning from time to time.

At some point I hope a new driver or patch will show up.

As to the registry differences that's common since HP and others will not always be the same.

-> There is (still) an issue with Windows and some JPG handling. You can still crash Explorer and printing too by having a corrupt (according to MS) image (jpg) file. The way to crash the print spooler is to try to print a document with that embedded jpg.

I know some can't accept this stuff is still buggy but it is.
Bob

Collapse -
so now what?

In reply to: So far, haven't found a fix.

So it sounds like you are saying "too bad...nothing an be done" but it just doesn't seem reasonable!
I can't print anything!!!
There has to be a fix...the machine is only 2 months old....which I bought because my old mother board was having issues...I thought things would be better with a new machine.
Would changing to 32bit version of vista be better?

Collapse -
Your post didn't write if you did the repair work.

In reply to: so now what?

I read it again to be sure. There is a vast difference from the occasional spooler failure that I know about and total failure, can't recover.

There is a big issue with Windows about errors like this. The common story is that people take it to some shop or look for a quick fix. If they don't find a way, they reload the OS. Yes I find that unacceptable and that is why I offered a link to a discussion about how others fix it.

This area of support is rather dark and unsettling. But there is hope if one dives in and takes the clues then does the work. I can't find in your posts what you have tried yet.
Bob

Collapse -
loaded new printer driver

In reply to: Your post didn't write if you did the repair work.

I chatted with HP tech support for about 2 hrs...but in the end we installed a new printer...the HP Laserjet 6L. I use my HP 1022 as the default printer but I have to select the 6L printer for .pdf files

So far so good

Collapse -
The PDF printer issues remind me

In reply to: loaded new printer driver

Of hangs back in Windows NT 4.0 days. Let me share there was a setting deep down in the printer driver that helped back then. It's that same issue I wrote about JPEG rendering and PDF is another all too similar rendering machine with issues.

Here's the setting to change as a test -> EMF vs. RAW.

Read http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1228151162085+28353475&threadId=35807 where you read about issues with EMF and HP printers.

We all hope they'll solve this someday.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.