Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista Home Premium SP1

I have a new HP desktop with an AMD 64X2, 2.4 GHZ processor with 3 GB of ram. Windows update wants to install SP1, but the HP website is cautioning me on doing this. It is telling me some of my programs won't run and the printer may not work, ect.ect. Now I'm "spooked"! Should I or shouldn't I install SP1. When the PC manufacturer has reservations on the update, I start to wonder. I know I will have to back up and set a restore point. Is this windows program that "Buggy"?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Home Premium SP1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Home Premium SP1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how new is your 'new pc?'

In reply to: Vista Home Premium SP1

every new pc in retail already has sp1 on it. what is your specific hp model number. and do you have a link to this caution against installing sp1 from hp?

Collapse -
HP Website on Vista SP1

In reply to: how new is your 'new pc?'

Collapse -
arkyduck... here is my two cents...

In reply to: HP Website on Vista SP1

I think you need and at some point must install SP-1 for security purposes if nothing else. I had absolutely no problems installing on an HP a1748x. I personally would download and save it to disk and install from there... also you will have it for future install if ever needed again.

Just review that link and do the things it says is needed. I am not sure about your printer... some printer manufacturers have issued updated driver... some have not.

The way I look at it you will need to install the Service Pack... might as well get it over and done.

Just sharing my opinion.

Glenn

Collapse -
agree with glenn

In reply to: arkyduck... here is my two cents...

sp1 has been known to break certain drivers. but usually all that's needed is to reinstall the latest driver for that device.

sp1 fixes a lot of stuff so you shouldn't skip it.

Collapse -
So where exactly

In reply to: HP Website on Vista SP1

So where exactly are they recommending you not install the SP1 update on that document? I've looked over it 2-3 times, and I'm not seeing it.

They're saying there were a few known issues, and right next to those issues they have links to resolutions. So, look over those things, and if any of them apply to your system, check the right hand column for the suggested resolution. If none of them apply to your system, what are you worried about?

One thing I will suggest, is to download the offline installer for Vista SP1, don't use Windows Update. It's not all that uncommon for a download to fail, or get stuck, using Windows Update... So, it's nice to have everything you need right there on your system.

Finally, you have my condolences on buying not only an HP, but an HP refurb. I'm sure you're going to be back here quite a bit.

Collapse -
I Agree with all...

In reply to: So where exactly

here. I got two new HP desktops with Vista 1 had SP1 already & the other I downloaded SP1,burned to CD, set restore point,did some back and installed SP1.
NO Problems!

Collapse -
Vista SP1

In reply to: I Agree with all...

OK! I downloaded and installed SP1 from the Windows update site. All you guys were right! No problems whatsoever and everything still works! Thanks to you all for your input.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it installed... no more worries! You are good to go :)

In reply to: Vista SP1

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.