Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Vista Home Premium & Office 97

by romric / September 24, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

Hi, As a non technical newbie could someone tell me if it is possible to transfer files/folders from a computer running XP with Microsoft Office 97, to my new computer running Vista?
I have nearly all my family history on cd's, some on floppy disks, but cannot read most of them, some I can read but not edit. Is there any solution?

Thanks romric.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Home Premium & Office 97
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Home Premium & Office 97
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Office 97 and Vista
by Kees Bakker / September 24, 2007 7:49 AM PDT

I don't know if Office 97 (if properly installed from the CD) will RUN under Vista. It did under XP, but with some incompatibilities for the more advanced functions. Worth a try (assuming you've got that CD).

But, if it doesn't, you can copy all documents you made with it on your old PC to your new Vista computer and read it with higher versions of MS Office (2000 should work, XP, 2003 and 2007 surely do), OpenOffice or the MS Word 2003 viewer. All but the viewer from this list enable you to edit the documents. All versions of MS Office should be installed from their CD; Openoffice and the Word viewer are free downloads.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Regarding Not Being Able To Read Or Edit...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

Remember, if the files come from a CD, then they will be transfered to the new computer as "Read Only".. Change that, after the file is transferred to the new machine, by RIGHT clicking on the file, choose "Properties", then UNCHECK the box that says: "Read Only".

Also, floppy discs are notorious for being unable to read after long periods of time expecially on newer XP system.. .. They can be corrupted easily.. Sometimes, you can recover the files simply by using a Windows 98 machine to read it.. or by using a recovery program like those provided at the links below:

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

http://www.handyrecovery.com/

http://www.floborecovery.us/downloads.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Office 97 and Vista
by romric / September 24, 2007 6:43 PM PDT

Wow, How quick was that! Thanks to both Kees and Grif - problem solved. I also appreciate you using language that a complete novice like myself can understand - I have looked on some forums where the technical jargon used just confused me.
I now can access 250 years of my ancestors by following your advice.

Thanks, romric.

Collapse -
And don't forget ...
by Kees Bakker / September 24, 2007 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Office 97 and Vista

to make a BACKUP of those valuable data. You don't want to lose it, I assume. Just burn to XCD or DVD and safely store that.

Kees

Collapse -
Back up
by romric / September 25, 2007 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: And don't forget ...

Yes, Will not risk losing data again, although I may buy a used pc with Windows XP loaded on as a safeguard as I am not too happy with Vista at the moment. Having paid some

Collapse -
There may be
by PudgyOne / September 24, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

I use Open Office. It's just like Microsoft Excel and Word but it's FREE.

It can be downloaded here

http://www.openoffice.org/

If it a .wps file then how to open and copy is below

After hours of tinkering, here is a free workaround to get .wps files into OpenOffice.org 2.0 This has been tested and is working on Windows XP and 2000 with OpenOffice.org 2.0.

Step 1. Download and install the free as of 7/15/06 "Word Viewer 2003" from Microsoft at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B9E11E83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=EN

Step 2. Download and install the free as of 7/15/06 "Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users" from Microsoft at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B9E11E83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=EN

After Installing both, Launch Word Viewer 2003,

An open dialog appears.
At the bottom of this dialog make sure the "Files of type" is set to "All Files(*.*)". Now browse to your .wps file, select it and click open. A warning dialog will appear, if you trust this file etc. click yes and like magic your .wps is now open!.

Select all

edit copy

Now open OpenOffice.org 2.0 writer and do edit paste.

You should now be looking at your doc in OpenOffice.org 2.0.

Choose Save as from the file menu and save your document to your preferred format.

Also, did you try the file transfer wizard? Send the files from one computer to the other.

On the read only ones, right click on them, left click properties, uncheck the read only box, click ok. You can now edit them.

Rick

Collapse -
Open Office
by romric / September 25, 2007 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: There may be

Thanks Rick,
Have taken on board your advice re Open Office and am saving all advice for future.
Am now able to read cd's etc so I will leave well alone till needed.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

romric

Collapse -
Make sure to save them
by PudgyOne / September 25, 2007 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Open Office

as so you can open them using Word and/or Excel, if you use another computer.

.doc
.xls

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.