Cameras forum

General discussion

Vista Home Premium driver for Miniature Digital Camera

by ferny48 / August 19, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

I have a miniature digital camera which appears to be the Innovage, although there is no brand on the camera or the instructions. An ArcSoft 4.0 software CD came with it, but it is not compatible with Vista. I have reviewed all the posts in this forum and have also reviewed the ArcSoft web site. I don't see any real solutions at either place. ArcSoft 5.0 appears to have a Vista driver, but it would cost at least $20 to upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0. Obviously, the camera is hardly worth that. I really don't need or want ArcSoft--I just need something to transfer the files from the camera to the PC. Any suggestions?

I have not installed the ArcSoft 4.0 software because I see on ArcSoft's web site a problem with any pre-Vista software and. although there appear to be patches available, i'd rather not get involved with potential problems and this still would not make ArcSoft 4.0 Vista compatible. I know the camera is just a toy, but i would like to have the ability to transfer the files to my PC--to help out my grandchild. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista Home Premium driver for Miniature Digital Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista Home Premium driver for Miniature Digital Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So,...
by Papa Echo / August 20, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

...the camera do not have a removeable memory card for which a card reader can be used ?

Collapse -
Vista Driver-Mini Cam
by ferny48 / August 20, 2007 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: So,...

Unfortunately, no. It's pretty much a toy but, from what I've read, it does take decent pictures--if I can get them from the camera to the PC.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Ok...
by Papa Echo / August 20, 2007 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista Driver-Mini Cam

...does the camera plug into the computer via USB or other ways ? Try: If USB, plug it in and turn on the camera. Hopefully, it will be reconized as a "storage device" whereby you can proceed as if the camera is a USB flash drive. If non USB, you have to shut down the computer, plug the camera in, switch it on, then boot up the computer.

Collapse -
Visa Driver-Mini Cam
by ferny48 / August 20, 2007 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

Tried it both ways--Vista asks for drivers. Says install CD which came with cam and it will search for drivers. I have CD and it has drivers on it, but I'm afraid they are not compatible with Vista. There is a bulletin on ArcSoft's web site stating same and saying that such software may make the CD drive not function (however, there is a patch to correct this), but it is unclear as to whether the problem is with ArcSoft 4.0 in total or just the driver. Should I chance installing the driver only?

Thanks.

Collapse -
What if....
by Papa Echo / August 21, 2007 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Visa Driver-Mini Cam

...you act as if you do not have the CD ? Let Vista search for the driver. It may even go into the www to do so. However, it looks like you will have a hard time looing for the driver, unless you know the brand of the camera. For the moment, forget about the Arcsoft's program. Its incompatibility with Vista has nothing to do with "drivers" for the camera.

Collapse -
Vista driver-Mini Cam
by ferny48 / August 21, 2007 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: What if....

So you are recommending that I allow Vista to search the ArcSoft CD for drivers? Vista has already searched the web.

Thanks.

Collapse -
No....
by Papa Echo / August 21, 2007 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista driver-Mini Cam

...that Arcsoft CD does not have a compatible driver. Let Vista try to search for a generic driver from its archive (installed on your HD)- Vista may also connect to the www if your Internet connection is on.

You may also try to install manually (At Add Hardware) and try every manucaturer and model(the list will be given). One may work sufficiently for you to upload the photos your computer.

(Note: I do not have Vista - but I have successfully installed non-propitary drivers for devices on previous versions of Windows. The devices worked, but not perperly, in that some functions were not possible. Try your luck.)

Collapse -
Vista Drivers-Mini Cam
by ferny48 / August 21, 2007 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: No....

Thanks. I have tried all your suggestions but to no avail. Vista has searched my HD and web--no drivers. I will attempt to find and download a generic Vista camera driver and see if it will work. This is all somewhat odd because I have a HP digital camera which Vista recognizes as a USB device and which I can transfer photos to the PC without any Vista drivers! HP has even indicated that they will not support this particular camera with Vista-compatible software. Still, USB recognizes it. Not so with this cheap little mini cam. I'll probably end up giving it to someone still running XP who can use the software.

Thanks very much for your help.

Collapse -
Software glitch
by Leeds3 / December 19, 2007 10:08 PM PST

I bought the camera for $10 at walgreens and spent 2 days and 3 computers until I got it right. This worked for XP, but perhaps it will work on vista.
1. Make sure camera is not plugged in. Install software off disc. If the disc does not boot, there is a set-up command on it.After installation is complete restart the computer
2. On my computer, after installation, the computer detected new hardware and asked if I wanted it to search for drivers/software. Click yes, directing it to the disc, where it did what seems to be a duplicate install. Close the program

3. Now, plug in the camera, turn on the program, it should now be recognized.

It worked here,I hope it works for you!

Collapse -
shoptronics.com has the software available to download
by slikkwon / December 30, 2007 3:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Warning - Not for Vista
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 7:28 AM PST

The original post was requesting a driver for Vista.

According to the documentation at the website mentioned, this is not a Vista driver.

I don't know of any Vista driver for this key-chain camera.

Collapse -
A long shot...
by Papa Echo / December 31, 2007 9:01 PM PST

If you or others are still interested, try contacting INNOVAGE, if you have not done so:

Innovage Contact Info :
19511 Pauling
Foothill Ranch California 92610
Phone: 949 587 9207
Web Address: www.innovage.net

Or install the cam to a XP or earlier system and use Belarc Advisor (or similar program) to find out the 'real engine' for the camera, and use that information to search for compatible Vista drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.