Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista home premium (32 bit) on pc

by wyattk1 / August 10, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

i have a pentium 4 3ghz 800mhz fsb ht enabled, 2gb 400mhz ram, 80gb hdd, nvidia geforce 7200gs pci-e 256mb (suppoting 512mb), one lightscribe lg dvd burner and a dvd/cd-rw drives, and 13 usb 2.0 ports, one lcd 17" (1440x900) and a crt (1280x1024) dual monitor set-up. will my computer be able to run vista well with full areo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista home premium (32 bit) on pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista home premium (32 bit) on pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2008 12:54 PM PDT

Yes, but I would think about adding at least another 1GB of RAM if your system supports it.

Aero basically just needs a 128MB video card that supports the DirectX 9.1 spec in hardware... Which should be just about every card made in the last 3-4 years.

Just keep in mind that most of what Aero provides is pretty useless. It's interesting for about the first hour, and then the novelty of it wears off. It really doesn't bring anything actually useful to the table. Not even something pretty basic like a clone of Apple's Mac OS X Expose. I'm open to the possibility that Aero is more the laying of the groundwork for a new 3D windowing system, and that future versions of Windows may expand upon it, but Vista's Aero really brings nothing of substance to the table.

Collapse -
3 gigs??!!
by wyattk1 / August 10, 2008 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

why would i need 3gb of ram dang are you sure

Collapse -
You don't NEED it
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: 3 gigs??!!

You don't NEED it, but if you want acceptable performance out of Vista, I'd strongly recommend it.

Vista more or less quadrupled the requirements for acceptable system performance over XP. So, with 3GB of RAM you'll have around 1.5GB of RAM for Windows and 1.5GB for everything else.

Long story short... If you already have XP, there's nothing about Vista that is really worth the price of admission. Aero offers nothing of substance, and all the other interesting features that were supposed to be part of Vista were chucked overboard in an effort to get something usable out the door. I'd wait until you get a new system before bothering with Vista.

Collapse -
what about this
by wyattk1 / August 10, 2008 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: You don't NEED it
Collapse -
It's YouTube
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2008 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: what about this

It's YouTube, so you can't take anything shown there as gospel. It really wouldn't be that difficult to doctor a video that makes it look like I'm running Vista really well on an old 286. The saddest part about it, would be the number of people who would believe it was real. I could even have the phrase, "This video is fake" be a permanent fixture, and you can bet there would STILL be a few people who believed it was real and wanted to know how they could install Vista on some old 286 they found at a garage sale.

Anyway, I've told you what I recommend. Now you can take my advice or you can ignore it, it's up to you. Just don't be surprised if 2-3 days after you install Vista you come to realize that everything I said about it is true.

Collapse -
Thanks
by wyattk1 / August 10, 2008 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: It's YouTube

thanks for the advice i will stick with xp pro then Happy

Collapse -
vista uses a lot of ram
by Aragorn37 / August 10, 2008 2:57 PM PDT

If you use any apps of great system demand then all I can say is get more ram. Although Vista by itself runs, you may find apps dragging. Its just trial and error, if you find your system drags then upgrade your ram. I personally have 6GB of ram, but Im a gamer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!