Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista. Freezing, No System Restore Points, etc.

by HellsFallenHero / March 1, 2011 3:09 AM PST

Hello. I'm using a Gateway LX6810-01 with Vista Home Premimum (64bit). I have 6gbs of ram.

So, basically. I usually fix my families computer because well, they have no idea what they're doing. And I do for the most part.
But anyways. I've been grounded. And I get on to find that it's freezing up every 15 seconds.

I first tried to defrag thinking that it might speed up the computer enough so I can actually fix it. But, it wouldn't even load up. I then restarted, and booted in safemode. I ran Malwarebytes, quick scan. And it still freezes up. I tried to defrag again, while in safemode and it froze up.

I did a scan with our antivirus Sophos. (I hate it.) It didn't pick up much. I then ran MalwareBytes 2 more times. Full scan.
It is still freezing up.

I was going to system restore. But then I found out all of my system restore points are now gone. I have no idea why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista. Freezing, No System Restore Points, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista. Freezing, No System Restore Points, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista. Freezing, No System Restore Points, etc
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 3:45 AM PST

Have you checked if there isn't any process using a lot of CPU?

Check if you find something in your log events, maybe your harddrive is failing...
Goto Start => Right click on "Computer" => click "Manage" => then open "Event Viewer"
Click "Windows logs" and "System" look for recent error's if you find some post them and we'll have a look Happy

Collapse -
Errors
by HellsFallenHero / March 1, 2011 4:00 AM PST

Here are some of the errors.

Event 7026

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ElbyCDIO
SAVOnAccess
spldr
Wanarpv6

Event 7001

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Event 10005

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Event 10005

DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{145B4335-FE2A-4927-A040-7C35AD3180EF}

Event 10005

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Event 10005

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service CarboniteService with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{36471C67-6A93-4434-92CC-4C614CD06666}

Event 10005

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

Event 5

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.

Event 7000

The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Collapse -
Errors
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Errors
Collapse -
Errors
by HellsFallenHero / March 1, 2011 4:30 AM PST

So, I just download all of those and install? Should I uninstall anything first?

Collapse -
Errors
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 5:12 AM PST

You have to choose one of the four chipset drivers.
One that fits your PC, this is usually printed on the box...

Collapse -
Errors.
by HellsFallenHero / March 1, 2011 5:52 AM PST

So, I couldn't find it.
I've never tried to find a chipset before so I'm lost.
I downloaded Hardware Vendor dector thing from the Gateway website you sent me.

It says, Category - VGA Vendor - nVidia.

So does that mean I download one of the VGA Drivers?

Collapse -
HWinfo
by Jevez / March 1, 2011 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Errors.
Collapse -
HWinfo
by HellsFallenHero / March 1, 2011 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: HWinfo

I'm using a nVidia Nforce 720i (McP79/7A)
So, I take it I should download the Chipset Driver For MCP7A?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?