Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista freezing at odd times

OK here's a stumper, first of all, specs.

DFI LanPartyDK 790FX
AMD Athlon X2 5800+ Black Edition AM2+
2GB OCZ PC6400 Reaper DDR2
GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
Raidmax RX730SS 730Watt PSU
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

This is my parents computer that is fairly new but ran for a couple of months without any problems and just started freezing lately. I am home from school for a few days and I am trying everything that I can think of to fix this thing! It freezes when my mom is using printshop, it freezes while my dad is playing solitaire, it freezes sometimes during youtube videos.

Here is what I have tried

MemTest 86+ for 12 hours with no errors.
Removed PCI cards (Audigy4 and a Firewire card)
Switched graphics card to a GeForce 8600GTS 512MB GDDR3
Reinstalled Vista
Installed Windows 7 RC to their secondary drive

After each step I still get random freezing...please help!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista freezing at odd times
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista freezing at odd times
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Windows 7 RC does it too.

In reply to: Vista freezing at odd times

I'm thinking hardware. Tell me about your research into the BIOS version and how to set the voltage to that RAM properly.
bob

Collapse -
Permanent or Temporary

Is the freezing permanent or temporary? Do you have to shut the system off to make it usable again, or does it resume on its own after a short time?

Collapse -
BIOS Update

The freeze is permanent, I have to do power off the system and reboot to make it usable.

As far as BIOS is concerned, a)I've never flashed a BIOS and I am hoping to avoid that. b)I checked the RAM timings and voltages, the voltage was low so i bumped it up to 2.1 which is what is printed on the side of the RAM, the timings were auto set at 5-5-5-15 so i changed them to 4-4-4-15 which is also printed on the RAM.

It may just be that I'm nervous about nothing with the BIOS flash, let me know the best way to check BIOS version and make CERTAIN that i get the right upgrade, that is the part that confuses me, as far as I can find out, the motherboard is the DFI LanPartyDK 790FX, but all of the DFI bios updates have like 4 different models of the 790FX, and i don't want to install the wrong one and make the board unusable.

Thanks!

Collapse -
"the voltage was low so i bumped it up to 2.1 which is what

In reply to: BIOS Update

"the voltage was low so i bumped it up to 2.1 which is what is printed on the side of the RAM,"

Good moves. The timing is one I might have left alone since the old setting was slower and I tend to make one change at a time.

Don't flash the BIOS except when we have no choice.
Bob

Collapse -
Wow

In reply to: "the voltage was low so i bumped it up to 2.1 which is what

So i moved the GeForce 7600GT to a different PCI slot, just sort of on a hunch, and the pc has been on and working just fine for about 8 hours now which is great!

it is a LITTLE on the sluggish side, you think maybe i should set the ram back to 5-5-5-15?

Collapse -
(NT) Worth trying.

In reply to: Wow

Collapse -
ok...

In reply to: Worth trying.

so i just talked to my parents and since i have been in colorado their computer has frozen twice. my mother said that twice it has booted up at the wrong resolution (800x600)

I sent her a link to update her video card drivers...but other than that im at a loss of what to do.

Collapse -
Seems like a newish machine.

In reply to: ok...

Can you deal with it's maker to have them fix it?

If self-built then you start the process of changing parts.

Again, since more than one OS locks up it's likely to be hardware related or even design related. For example I found one machine where they put a quad core 1000 Watt system in a mini-case. It didn't run for very long until it locked up.
Bob

Collapse -
hardware

In reply to: Seems like a newish machine.

based on the specs any idea of where to start replacing hardware? it seems like the power supply should be giving out enough juice, im just worried its a motherboard thing and i don't want to replace a bunch of parts and find out its some setting on the motherboard or something like that. heard of any dfi boards having problems with ocz memory?

Collapse -
design

In reply to: Seems like a newish machine.

not sure what you mean by design, as far as the case...its in an antec three-hundred but the desk its in has a compartment for the pc with a door. i drilled a bunch of holes in the door to help get some air in, and it doesn't seem to be overheating, air coming out of all the exhaust fans is cool, unfortunately, speedfan and any other temp monitoring software ive tried has given odd readings, like 15 degrees F core temp, obviously thats not correct.

it just seems odd that suddenly, after many months of smooth operation that it would just start locking up like that, but like i said, i've tested the memory, its clearly not a hard drive issue, i wouldn't really suspect the cpu, but i suppose it could be having problems, checked the graphics card and all the pci cards, and i don't think that it is overheating at all....so where would you recommend i start?

Collapse -
design.

In reply to: design

Since parts age and fail the rough part of this story is to find out what is giving the machine grief. If it wasn't for the fact that both Vista and 7 were having the issue then I would be writing about an OS reload.

Then again you might have a printer, usb or other item that is giving the OS fits. I start with removing what I can do without.
Bob

Collapse -
USB issue

Ok, so this is on my personal computer, I am having an issue with the USB keyboard. It works fine in windows, but it doesn't turn on until windows loads, meaning I cannot access the BIOS. I plugged a PS/2 keyboard in to my motherboard and tried rebooting with the USB Keyboard Support option enabled and disabled...it was enabled by default. I have also double-checked all of the motherboard jumpers to make sure that the board is supplying power to the USB slots.

DFI LanParty nForce4 Ultra-D

Collapse -
I HAVE A MACHINE LIKE THAT!

In reply to: USB issue

For that machine (some "ICEBOX"?) I found that the BIOS settings for USB KEYBOARD and MOUSE support only worked if I had it set EXACTLY as follows:

USB Keyboard - Enabled.
USB Mouse - Disabled.
USB 2.0/1.1 support = Enabled.

Your magic combo may differ but you tell me why it mattered.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!