HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista format

by gaz237 / July 21, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

Good evening all

I have HP laptop running vista home premium. I want to completely reformat the hard drive wipeing out all data. I have done this before but now where i would normally click to reformat it has now been greyed out. I would be grateful for any advice. many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i think you need
by slowglyder / July 21, 2009 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista format

to insert the cd/dvd to do that

Collapse -
vista reformat
by gaz237 / July 21, 2009 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: i think you need

It never came with cd,s everything is preloaded. The last time i reformatted it i just clicked the button which is greyed out now

Collapse -
You can't use Vista to format the Vista drive
by Jonmor68 / July 21, 2009 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: vista reformat

formatting deletes all data on the drive and the operating system can not delete itself.
If you still have your restore partition you can use it to do a destructive restore, deleting all data and restoring to as new when you purchased it.
Make sure to backup all your files that you don't wont to loose before proceeding.

Collapse -
formatt
by gaz237 / July 21, 2009 9:37 AM PDT

Yes that sounds like what i want to do. Problem is the formatt is greyed out, so how do i go about doing what you said? Many thanks

Collapse -
(NT) The process is model-specific. (Cite the model number.)
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2009 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: formatt
Collapse -
HP pavillion dv6700
by gaz237 / July 21, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

HP pavillion dv6700

Collapse -
The dv6000 line has a disk to disk restore feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista format
Collapse -
thanks
by gaz237 / July 21, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

will try that tomorrow thanks again

Collapse -
re reformat
by gaz237 / July 22, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Have tried to make restore discs today and all i get is. "the recovery partion could not be found exit pc recovery disc creator and contact HP support.

Also tried restore pc to its original condition with hp recovery manager from within windows vista. It says it will reboot which it does then it says carry on when it comes back. When it comes back it has not moved on and i reopen recovery manager and it just does the same. HELP please or will i have to contact HP

I know i can do start and F 11 but i,m reluctant to in case of total crash.

Collapse -
Looks like someone has deleted, formatted or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: re reformat

Altered partitions already. At this point you order the restore media since you don't have a way to recover without them.

Worth every dime of the 35 bucks I paid them last time.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.