General discussion

Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in

My Dell computer started blue screening every time I plugged the network cable into it. It also kills the network for all the other computers on the Linksys router wired or wireless. I have a Hyjack this file and system info file for it if needed. I have ran CA virus scan, Malware scan spybot search and destroy in regular and safe mode.
Should I insert the hyjack and info file here?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
We Don't Interpret HJT Logs Here.. Still...

If merely plugging the cable in causes the system to shut down, I would think "hardware" versus "software/infection". Have you tried using a different ethernet cable? Maybe an electrical short.... Or is your "network cable" a USB cable instead of ethernet? If so, try an ethernet cable instead of USB..

I am curious WHY you unplugged the network cable in the first place?

If you plug other computers directly into the same router port, does it cause an issue?

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
re: we dont interpret hjt logs here..

The computer connects with cat5. The computer started blue screening with a tcpip error. I have other computers on this network with cat5 and wireless both, they all work untill I plugged this one in. It has a built in network card. I have unistalled the driver and reinstalled one from the manufacture. I guess I will disable the network in bios and try a dif. card.

- Collapse -
Is this new behavior?
- Collapse -
Re:Is this new behavior?

This computer worked for over two years on this network. It started this a couple of months ago and I have been trying to fix it off and on now. The router is the linksys 54gs the computer is a Dell inspiron 531S. Windows upgrades have always been turned on on this computer.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I didn't know if this was old or new behavior. It's still possible that Vista is crashing the network. Try the fixes noted and hope.
Bob

CNET Forums