Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in

by raytrimble / August 31, 2010 6:08 AM PDT

My Dell computer started blue screening every time I plugged the network cable into it. It also kills the network for all the other computers on the Linksys router wired or wireless. I have a Hyjack this file and system info file for it if needed. I have ran CA virus scan, Malware scan spybot search and destroy in regular and safe mode.
Should I insert the hyjack and info file here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista computer kills network when cable plugged in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We Don't Interpret HJT Logs Here.. Still...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

If merely plugging the cable in causes the system to shut down, I would think "hardware" versus "software/infection". Have you tried using a different ethernet cable? Maybe an electrical short.... Or is your "network cable" a USB cable instead of ethernet? If so, try an ethernet cable instead of USB..

I am curious WHY you unplugged the network cable in the first place?

If you plug other computers directly into the same router port, does it cause an issue?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: we dont interpret hjt logs here..
by raytrimble / August 31, 2010 6:41 AM PDT

The computer connects with cat5. The computer started blue screening with a tcpip error. I have other computers on this network with cat5 and wireless both, they all work untill I plugged this one in. It has a built in network card. I have unistalled the driver and reinstalled one from the manufacture. I guess I will disable the network in bios and try a dif. card.

Collapse -
Is this new behavior?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 7:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Is this new behavior?
by raytrimble / August 31, 2010 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this new behavior?

This computer worked for over two years on this network. It started this a couple of months ago and I have been trying to fix it off and on now. The router is the linksys 54gs the computer is a Dell inspiron 531S. Windows upgrades have always been turned on on this computer.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 10:32 AM PDT

I didn't know if this was old or new behavior. It's still possible that Vista is crashing the network. Try the fixes noted and hope.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?