Windows Vista forum

General discussion

vista clean install using upgrade CD

by ttremeth / January 4, 2007 8:00 AM PST

ust wondering what will be needed for this?

1. What will Vista check for?
2. Will it want a valid CD key for the previous OS?
3. Will it give you the option of installing the 64 bit version clean? (assuming u have a 64 bit cpu)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista clean install using upgrade CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista clean install using upgrade CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: vista clean install using upgrade CD
by stonehkm / January 4, 2007 8:15 AM PST

As far as I know, the Vista upgrade disks will require verification of Windows XP and then you will have the option to clean install or upgrade.
We will know more on or about January 30th:)

Collapse -
ok
by ttremeth / January 4, 2007 8:22 AM PST

Thanks for that but any idea about the rest of the post? Clean installs are need when you install a new M/B or your pc crashes etc, what will MS need to verify you have a legit CD/DVD

Collapse -
Usually a phone call is all it takes...
by stonehkm / January 4, 2007 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: ok

The EULA is the same as XP now.

Collapse -
practical application
by ttremeth / January 4, 2007 8:27 AM PST

Thanks but how does the upgrade actually work with regards to making sure u have a Cd. Many people have copies of xp cd but no licence key.

Collapse -
I believe...
by stonehkm / January 4, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: practical application

You may be able to get away with that if your comp has XP on board or the CD to pop in during veryfication. However, I don't approve of the use of a pirated copy of XP:(

Collapse -
that's ok
by ttremeth / January 4, 2007 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: I believe...

Not so much the pirating issue but does someone actually know the process of upgrading and technically what will happen if you want to upgrade from a fresh install using an upgrade version of vista. We aren't really answering the initial post but don't get me wrong, i appreciate any input. i just want to know the actual process, see my first post.

Collapse -
I can confirm this isn't the case.
by Phil-ITOPS / January 21, 2007 8:52 PM PST

I've just received my MAPS (Microsoft Action Pack) copy of Vista Business Upgrade. When booting from the DVD the installer asks for the Serial Key which I entered. However the installer refuses to install as "This version must be launched from Windows" So I deleted the key and continued the install selecting BUSINESS as the install at the relevant screen. However when now I try to activate Vista I get the following error code: 0xc004f061 and the text "The Software Licensing Services determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading not for clean installations" ***! Upgrades in the past have always allowed you to clean install as long as you had the original disks. So now it looks like I'll have to install a clean copy of XP just to get this version installed...

Phil

Collapse -
You CANNOT do a clean install with an upgrade!
by blazerbryant / February 1, 2007 2:50 AM PST

I called Microsoft this morning and spoke to their tech support. They said this was the first time they had heard of an activation problem. I got through to a real tech support guy, and he asked me about whether I was installing an upgrade or full version. I told him it was Windows Vista Home Basic, bought at Staples for $99, upgrading from a pre-loaded Windows XP Home on my Dell PC. I explained that the "Upgrade" label on the front of the box said "For users running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP, or Windows Vista only. Backup and clean install may be required. See back of box for details.*". The back of the box says the following: "Back up all your files and settings before upgrading. You must perform a clean install of Windows Vista and then reinstall your existing files, settings, and programs, unless you are upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home Edition." This would lead anyone to believe that a clean install is possible when upgrading. I tried the same things as mentioned above. Booting from the Vista DVD (because clean install was NOT an option when launching from Windows XP), then trying my Product Key at the beginning of the install process, which did not work ("this version must be launched from windows"), skipping it, and choosing "Home Basic" as the verion being installed. Then tried to activate from the Control Panel in Vista and recieved Code 0xC004F061: "The Software Licensing Service determined that the specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations". The guy I talked to at Microsoft said that I would have to reinstall XP on my machine, and do a non-clean upgrade to Vista for my key to work. In other words, a clean install does not appear to be an option for versions of Vista labeled "Upgrade", even though right below the Upgrade label it says "A clean install may be required". This makes me wonder what would happen if you were not running Windows XP SP2 before upgrading, and were "required" to do a clean install with an "Upgrade" version. If Microsoft does not want clean installs to be an option for Upgrade customers, it should not be listed as possibility on the FRONT OF THE BOK, the back of the box, the Quick Start Guide, and in the setup dialogs. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing in this case. Excuse me, I have to go downgrade to XP now...

Collapse -
Some Answers
by studentism / January 7, 2007 5:27 PM PST

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll contribute what I can. I work at a university with an MCCA, so we have early access to the Business and Enterprise editions. Unfortunately, neither of the CDs are bootable for us, but according to the installer, you should be able to boot from the CD and alter partitions (I imagine it will still need a valid copy of XP on it to proceed with the install, however).

From the installer that pops up within Windows, you can either do the default in-place upgrade, or an "advanced" install which moves your old Windows into a "windows.old" folder, and then installs a new copy of Vista in place.

We don't install any illegal copies here, so I can't speak about that. It never mentions that it does a valid key check, but I imagine that's done in the background -- most downloads from their website even require the check.

I can't imagine the 64 bit install would be any different. There's a chart here that's good for reference on which of the options you'll have for upgrading (I realize this isn't incredibly pertinent to your question, however):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

Collapse -
According to Paul Thurrott...
by SPIRIdk / January 8, 2007 5:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes you can
by ecangian / February 1, 2007 4:37 AM PST

Received this in an issue of windows secret.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201/
Use Vista's 'upgrade' version to clean-install

The secret is that the setup program in Vista's upgrade version will accept an installed copy of XP, W2K, or an unactivated copy of Vista itself as evidence of a previous installation.

This enables you to "clean install" an upgrade version of Vista to any formatted or unformatted hard drive, which is usually the preferred method when installing any new operating system. You must, in essence, install Vista twice to take advantage of this trick. But Vista installs much faster than XP, so it's quicker than installing XP followed by Vista to get the upgrade price.

Before you install Vista on a machine that you don't know is 100% compatible, you should run Microsoft's free Upgrade Advisor. This program ? which operates only on 32-bit versions of XP and Vista (plus Vista Enterprise) ? reports to you on any hardware or software it finds that may be incompatible with Vista. See Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor page.

Also, to see which flavors of XP Home, XP Pro, and 2000 officially support in-place installs and clean installs of the different Vista editions, see Microsoft's upgrade paths page.

Here's a simplified overview of the steps that are required to clean-install the upgrade version of Vista:

Step 1. Boot the PC from the Vista DVD.

Step 2. Select "Install Now," but do not enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Leave the input box blank. Also, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online. In the next dialog box that appears, confirm that you really do want to install Vista without entering a Product Key.

Step 3. Correctly indicate the version of Vista that you're installing: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate.

Step 4. Select the "Custom (Advanced)" install, not the "Upgrade" install.

Step 5. Vista copies files at length and reboots itself one or more times. Wait for the install to complete. At this point, you might think that you could "activate" Vista, but you can't. That's because you haven't installed the Vista upgrade yet. To do that, run the DVD's setup.exe program again, but this time from the Vista desktop. The easiest way to start setup again is to eject and then reinsert the DVD.

Step 6. Click "Install Now." Select Do not get the latest updates for installation. (You can check for these updates later.)

Step 7. This time, do enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Once again, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online.

Step 8. On this second install, make sure to select "Upgrade," not "Custom (Advanced)." You're not doing a clean install now, you're upgrading to Vista.

Step 9. Wait while Vista copies files and reboots itself. No user interaction is required. Do not boot from the DVD when asked if you'd like to do so. Instead, wait a few seconds and the setup process will continue on its way. Some DOS-like, character-mode menus will appear, but don't interact with them. After a few seconds, the correct choice will run for you automatically.

Step 10. After you click a button labeled Start in the Thank You dialog box, Vista's login screen will eventually appear. Enter the username and password that you selected during the first install. You're done upgrading to Vista.

Step 11. Within 30 days, you must "activate" your copy of Vista or it'll lose functionality. To activate Vista, click Show more details in the Welcome Center that automatically displays upon each boot-up, then click Activate Windows now. If you've dismissed the Welcome Center, access the correct dialog box by clicking Start, Control Panel, System & Maintenance, System. If you purchased a legitimate copy of Vista, it should quickly activate over the Internet. (You can instead activate by calling Microsoft on the phone, which avoids your PC exchanging information with Microsoft's server.

Collapse -
yes you can
by garygodbey / February 2, 2007 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Yes you can

Thank-you for the report about using a upgrade verison of Vista. I think Microsoft knows about this but is keeping tight lipped about it because this means lost revenue. I will not be buying a retail (Full) version of Vista because as the above post shows how to install Vista in a clean state using the upgrade version of your choice. Come to think about it I think I read somewhere there are oem versions available as well.
I'm all for saving money when the top version (Retail) cost $400.00

Collapse -
Reply to Yes you can.
by wayno77 / February 2, 2007 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Yes you can
Collapse -
Have any of you followed these exact instructions?
by wildj / February 6, 2007 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to Yes you can.

Just curious...

Collapse -
YES YOU CAN DO A CLEAN INSTALL FROM A VISTA UPGRADE DVD !
by dslagter / February 18, 2007 4:58 AM PST

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! to ecangian !

I followed the post by ecangian in this thread about doing a clean install on a formatted hard drive WITH A VISTA ULTIMATE UPGRADE DISK.

WORKED PERFECT !! WELL WRITTEN AND EASY TO FOLLOW.

Follow "ecangian's" instructions for SURE! But here is the basic process:

1. Boot your computer from a bootable Windows XP CD
2. Format your drive using NTFS
3. STOP the Windows XP install after formatting - just eject the disk
4. You now have a formatted CLEAN hard drive !
5. Reboot using your Vista UPGRADE DVD

FOLLOW "ecangian's" instructions to the letter.

Worked perfect for me and NOW I KNOW I HAVE A CLEAN INSTALL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?