Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista can't find video card!?!?!

by Nathan1k9 / October 15, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

During mid summer i finally had the cash for a new computer so i got a friend to custom build one:

Nvidia E-GeForce 7900 GS KO video card
Asus M2A-VM motherboard
AMD Anthlon 64X2 4200+ cpu
500 gig hard drive
and 2 gigs of ram

Well i was wanting to run Vista but once i got the OS installed and all but the video card driver installed, i went to install the video card driver and it didn't work. So i went to the Nvidia or evga site for an updated driver the tried a couple of those. Either it would say i'm not running the right type of vista or it says it can't find my video card. Any ideas of what i can do??

Thanks,
Nathan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista can't find video card!?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista can't find video card!?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Hint: Install the motherboard driver package first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 12:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Already done
by Nathan1k9 / October 15, 2007 12:53 PM PDT

All the other drivers where installed first. The only thing not installed is the video card driver.

Collapse -
Then you have the wrong video driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Already done

Many don't get the motherboard driver right, or the BIOS is not Vista ready. You didn't tell much in your post so all I can do is not the usuals.

Bob

Collapse -
Not 100% sure
by Nathan1k9 / October 15, 2007 1:15 PM PDT

Well i'm not to sure on what you are saying but do you mean like my mother board driver might have been a XP version so it might have stopped vista from "seeing" my video card??

Collapse -
That's right. I see they offer...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Not 100% sure

The motherboard driver lets Windows (whichever version...) see the cards, USB ports and all that.

Check with the motherboard maker for latest drivers.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2A-VM

Yup, Vista version appears to differ from the XP version. "Enhanced the compatibility of Vista" is noted in the BIOS releases.

I didn't see the AMD CPU driver. Did you get that installed?

Bob

Collapse -
driver
by Nathan1k9 / October 15, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

Well after popping my motherboard driver cd into my computer it loaded the screen and it had a button to see what the motherboard information was and it showed that my bios was 0302 while the current bios for my motherboard is 0901. Right now i am still on windows xp, but tomorrow i will update my os to vista yet again and give it a try. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it works, if not i will be back.

Collapse -
"the AMD CPU driver."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: driver

It's over at AMD.com. It also fixes issues like yours.

Bob

Collapse -
try this
by Dango517 / October 15, 2007 4:27 PM PDT

start>control panel>device manager>choose display adapter>right click>click,"scan for hardware changes",let it run. Is it there? if yes>right click on the newly found graphics card>choose up "date driver". If this doesn't work then try the vendors web site again after it's been found.

(This thread is untracked.)

Collapse -
FINALY!!!!:D
by Nathan1k9 / October 17, 2007 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

OMG thank you for the help it's working amazingly smooth plus i have aero enabled which just looks great. Again i can't thank you enough.

Thank,
Nathan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?