Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista-can an infection migrate from drive to drive ?

I have Vista Home Premium.

The issue I'm dealing with is that I have a Trojan that infected Vista, then infected my flash drive when I plugged it in.

On this flash drive are all my programs which I'd like to save so I don't want to have them erased when I format the drive to get the infection off it.

I have a boot CD from a disk imaging program which has a partition manager so I can format this drive in that environment. However, when I plug in my portable drive so I can move my programs onto it, can the infection from the flash drive migrate on to the portable drive? Mind you, I won't be on C: any longer - in fact, to be sure the infection from C: can't migrate I'll be formatting C: FIRST so the infection will be gone and C: itself will be GONE, therefore no way it can migrate from Windows on to my portable drive when it's plugged in.

So, my question is :

In the boot disk environment, with Windows gone and drive C: unallocated, can the infection on the flash drive infect my portable drive which I'll plug in at that point?

I've never heard of any infection that can infect in that environment. Am I wrong that I can't be infected through this medium?

Please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista-can an infection migrate from drive to drive ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista-can an infection migrate from drive to drive ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any time

In reply to: Vista-can an infection migrate from drive to drive ?

Any time you do ANYTHING with an infected drive short of formatting it, you run a risk of spreading any infections that may be present.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, the risk is probably minimal, but then you also can't move programs like that either, so...

Collapse -
To jimmy-

In reply to: Any time

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean I can't move programs like that?

I believe I didn't make myself clear. I have the installers saved on the infected flash drive & my disk image program boot CD has a version of Windows Explorer which can be used to open any drive, and when in any drive you can copy, paste etc any files from one drive to another. In fact, I just did this as a test & copied a .txt file from one drive to another one (just to be sure I could do it).

Maybe you thought I meant moving programs from C onto a portable drive? I don't know, but hopefully I've made myself more clear.

In any case, are you saying that with what I have in mind, there should be minimal risk of the infection going from the flash drive to the portable drive since Windows will be gone & I'll be moving/copying the files while using the boot CD? Just making sure I understand you.

Collapse -
installers saved on the infected flash drive

In reply to: To jimmy-

Even though you have a disc-image on a CD; the risk of reinfecting your new (formatted) drive is dramitically increased, as whatever installers you have on the flash drive will be reintroduced onto your clean drive.

Before you go to the trouble of reformatting all your drives (including the flash drive), please try the following steps (as laid out by Grif) from another post http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?messageID=3290628&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#3290628 Although this was used for someone infected using Windows XP, these steps work with all O/S.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.