Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vista asking for Apple driver on Acer notebook

I have been battling a problem with Vista for quite some time now. On my Acer Travelmate 4002WLMi (Centrino platform, Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 1,25GB RAM, Radeon 9700 w 128MB RAM, 80GB HDD) the battery is not recognized by the OS and there is no driver available from the manufacturer or MS.

Recently an interesting thing appeared in Windows Problem Reports and Solutions:
Download and install the driver for Apple Desktop Null Driver
This problem was caused by Apple Desktop Null Driver. Apple Desktop Null Driver was created by Apple Inc..
Solution
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download and install the driver for Apple Desktop Null Driver from the manufacturer's website.
Apple Inc.
Follow the directions on the manufacturer's website to install the driver for Apple Desktop Null Driver.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rate this response:Provide Feedback

Honestly, I have no idea what this Apple Desktop Null Driver is or how to get it, as I found no reference to it on the Apple website. If there is a MAC fan out there who knows what this is, please help me.

Thank You,

Kaadi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista asking for Apple driver on Acer notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista asking for Apple driver on Acer notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good one.

In reply to: Vista asking for Apple driver on Acer notebook

Collapse -
HW config

In reply to: Good one.

no Apple products in my household. none. zero. not even an iPod.

Collapse -
One wonders if...

In reply to: HW config

Collapse -
Null Drivers...

In reply to: One wonders if...

OK. so Null Drivers are for non supported hardware? I still don't know where or how to get it or what Apple has to do with any of this, as the link takes me to their support web page.

Acer knows nothing about this. They do not support Vista on this machine, although it runs fine (aside from the missing battery support).

Are there some Vista drivers on the boot camp DVD?

Collapse -
(aside from the missing battery support).

In reply to: Null Drivers...

That's a new clue. Tell us how this laptop came to be without that.

Collapse -
Vista/ apple driver on acer notebook

I have got the exact same problem how ramdon! i got a easynote laptop (packard bell) and it detects the battery however there is no driver for it anywhere. Also windows have come up with this odd solution to download this weird apple driver this is obviosuly must be a bug on vista. So does anyone know how i can solve this battery problem??

Collapse -
vista

but then again i installed vista without having the battery in at the time so maybe vista didnt install the drivers because it thought it doesnt need to as there no battery. So now that i plug the battery back in Vista is a bit confused, so what i will try to do is reinstall vista back on WITH the battery in and see what happens. If any one has ne solutions about this problem please let me know

Collapse -
AHA!!!

In reply to: vista

"i installed vista without having the battery in at the time"

I have 2 new acers and the instructions were very clear to have the battery installed and charged during setup. If you don't follow their directions then you get to discover why.

Bob

Collapse -
Drivers are required...

In reply to: AHA!!!

...for batteries ? Would that be some apps to monitor the conditions of the batteries, rather than "drivers" in the usual sense, i.e. that which makes devices work ?

Collapse -
(NT) Absolutely. It's all part of what ACPI is about.

In reply to: Drivers are required...

Collapse -
Battery

In reply to: Absolutely. It's all part of what ACPI is about.

Having the battery installed would of not made a difference. I thought it might be worth a try but thinking about it, its not. It wont make a difference its the ACPI driver thats not working, Vista is detecting it ok.

and btw ACPI is nothing to do with battery monitoring applications.

Collapse -
ACPI is nothing to do with battery monitoring applications.

In reply to: Battery

But it does have something to do with Windows and how it thinks about the battery. It's all there.

-> I take it you don't care for ACPI?

I won't enter into any debate that the battery in not under ACPI. I take Bill's word on that and the MSDN.

Bob

Collapse -
ACPI

In reply to: ACPI is nothing to do with battery monitoring applications.

ACPI is a chipset built into all ATX compliant motherboards. The ACPI chipset is responsible for controlling different aspects of power and power management. This includes: power on/off, suspend mode, lan wakeup, ups management & battery management. ACPI chipsets, like all computer hardware require a driver in order to communication with the operating system (windows vista). In my case with my Packard Bell Easynote A5500 Vista has incorrectly identified the driver for the ACPI chipset and instead, installed a non specific and very generic driver designed to support a large number of ACPI chipsets but not necessarily able to use the ACPI chipsets more advanced features. These features include battery monitoring and the automatic detection of a battery. This is the problem i am experiencing and since Pacakrd Bell do not support my laptop as a vista enabled device i have been unable to lcoate the correct driver in order for ACPI to fully work. I posted my scenario onto this forum for help, not for cheap and smart *** comments from someone who obviously doesnt know what they are talking about. Dont qoute MSDN if you havent read it.

Collapse -
Odd.

In reply to: ACPI

I see "battery" in your quote.

Let's cut to the chase. What's your beef here? The weird thing about having to have the battery in during install or something else. Please tell so we can close in on the real issue.

If you are just here to debate and not work the issue, tell me that too.

Bob

Collapse -
Real issue

In reply to: Odd.

Sorry guys to cut in, but some posts have deviated from the original point. There are many notebooks (Acer, Toshiba, Benq, Packard Bell) that have so called Smart Battery and Vista fails to support the reading method of these batteries. One user said that he tried to install Vista without the battery inserted, but obviously that won't work, as a laptop battery is not a PnP device, like a USB drive or a WiFi adapter.

I have started this forum thread because Vista indicated to me that it needs some Apple nullsoft drivers, but to this point I have no idea what those are. Microsoft did not comment on this on either Technet or MSDN forums, and we users tried on several other forums too. There is no chance that someone will fix this and aprox. 75 notebook models (that I know about) will remain without Vista support despite the fact that from CPU/GPU/RAM/DVD-RW point they are Vista Premium Ready.

Collapse -

In reply to: Odd.

As i explained in my last post. Vista is using very generic and non specific drivers in order to control the ACPI on many laptops. Whether or not there is a correlation between the use of these generic ACPI drivers and the apple null driver message i do not know.

In respect to finding a solution...I am afraid it is unlikely. The laptop manufacturers are unlikely to revisit older models and develop Vista ACPI drivers. And Microsoft certainly wont be putting themselves out in order to build in support for older ACPI controllers into Vista.

So in conclusion...put up without the battery monitor, or go and buy a fully vista enabled laptop.

Fiona.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.