Windows Vista forum

General discussion

vista antivirus

im just finished sorting out my friends computer cause it was slow and full off virus ive reinstalled vista but he needs a good antivirus on my computer i have norton 2005 cause i know its good and it dosent take up much of the systems resources is there a way to get 2005 to work on vista or is there a newer norton which dosent take much system resources like 2005

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vista antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vista antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very interesting.

In reply to: vista antivirus

While I've used Free AVG and AVAST on Vista installs, with that new UAC how did they install those viruses? Remember that most of the protection is who is at the keyboard. Witness that horrid XP ANTIVIRUS 2008 that has suckered far too many in.

Have you chatted with them about how these got in?
Bob

Collapse -
All Norton Versions Use A Lot Of Resources..

Collapse -
Norton is bad... Period

Norton is bad... Period. It doesn't matter which version you're using, it's just a choice between really bad and worse. False positives have plagued Norton for years, along with just general quality control problems.

People have already covered the main free options, and some of the pay options you might want to consider would be Kaspersky and BitDefender. I'd avoid McAfee until they manage to make it not slow your system down by about a third with just the passive scanning.

Collapse -
Norton 360

In reply to: Norton is bad... Period

When I first went to Vista I was using McAfee and had to get it off my computer because it was causing all kinds of problems.
I tried Avast and couple others and they didn't impress me at all.
I installed Norton 360 and have not had any false positives to speak of, no problems and it works great.
It was a 3 user license and the other 2 people's machines I put it on have not had any problems either.
A few years back Norton was a real pain, but with 360 I am very satisfied and will keep using it until I find something better.

Collapse -
Nortons was a PITA

In reply to: Norton 360

I used to be a nortons fan. The biggest problem's I ever had were that nortons would forget it's authorized and quit working on my computer. Then I'd be without a firewall and antivirus while I got Nortons to figure out why their software quit working. The last straw was when they reported that my online validation was not authorized. I emailed to see what the issue was and they said "send in your CD, your key, and receipt and we will talk." They offered me no protection (which is why I get their software to begin with( in the meantime so they didnt' get sent anything and I went the free route. I tried System Mechanic who had a better deal but their software was half baked, unstable, and created problems.

Nortions main problem was itself. When it came to being a firewall and antivirus I was perfectly happy. When it quit doing that job because of their one internal concerns, I fired it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!