Windows Vista forum

General discussion

VISTA and different language

by chinamoose / February 9, 2008 9:02 PM PST

My laptop electrocuted itself in China and my replacement came with Vista Basic installed. It turns out that when you buy in China you can get nothing but Chinese language Vista preinstalled. My research for relief only turned up disappointment.

My alternative choices are to purchase an upgrade that will cost almost as much as the computer (an amount equal to 1 month's pay), reinstall my old Windows XP, or move to Linux. I have to thank Bill and his excellent business sense, as he has "forced" me to move to a dual-boot machine. I am now using an XP/Ubuntu dual-boot that is much more user friendly than my experience with Red Hat many years ago, and it is becoming easier to use every day I use it. I will no longer be a slave to purchasing new OS's (or new editions of MS Office as I find OpenOffice to be up to the task of replacement).

Again, thanks Bill for relieving me from the shackles of an OS that new viruses love to attack (especially here in China) daily.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VISTA and different language
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VISTA and different language
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unconfuse me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 12:59 AM PST

So you bought your laptop from Microsoft?

Collapse -
Lenovo purchase
by chinamoose / February 25, 2008 5:59 PM PST
In reply to: Unconfuse me.

Computer was purchased from a Lenovo outlet in Beijing, China. In China LEGAL copies of preinstalled Windows are ONLY in Chinese language versions (apparently it is some sort of business deal hatched by M$). My only legal recourse is an OS upgrade that costs almost as much as the computer, or going with Linux. Of course I could purchase a pirate copy of Windows with no problem here, but I dislike that way of going about things.

Collapse -
So why did you buy it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Lenovo purchase

It didn't come with the OS you wanted and after all this time you may have learned the rigors and caveats of OEM licensing. I can't see where you can lay the issue at Microsoft's feet.

Bob

Collapse -
Immediate need
by chinamoose / March 5, 2008 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: So why did you buy it?

You have a point. Perhaps I didn't have to buy a new computer, any decision to buy in that case is based on desire. In this case my computer failed and needed replacement immediately (I use it every day for my job), so my decision was based on need. Going to another store in China to purchase a basic computer is not possible, as EVERY computer with a LEGAL version of pre-installed Windows comes with a Chinese language system here in China.

A trip to the USA just to buy a computer, or paying twice for the same OS product (as an otherwise unneeded upgrade) seemed unreasonable to me (perhaps you make much more money than I do). It is a bad business model in the end and only creates ill will. If every single free Linux distribution is able to be had with multiple language ability, why is it that when I go to the length to PAY for an OS I can't get multiple language ability without paying more than twice as much.

I don't understand the rational for not providing the basic OS system to run multiple languages natively on a no frills computer system. The cost of the computer is the same regardless of where I buy it, I am getting no benefit from purchasing it here in China as opposed to anywhere else in the world.

So, my choice as a customer is to buy the same OS product twice, buy a very cheap pirated version, or change to a competing OS, and possibly leave the Windows world forever. As I said, this is a poor business model. Does any business remain successful for long when they no longer seem to care about the customer, or find new ways to alienate them? If I was asking for features that somehow added to the basic functionality or expense of the product, I could understand paying extra for what it offers. This is a different situation, I only asked for basic functionality IN ENGLISH! I don't even need the ability to switch between languages, I just wanted one I could easily read. The decision to only allow Chinese language versions of Windows to be pre-installed on computers in China is a Microsoft decision. In my view, a bad decision.

Chinamoose

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!