Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vista 32bit in 64bit machine

When upgrading to Vista i accidently downloaded and installed the 32 bit edition instead of the 64bit edition. Is it worth uninstalling? Will there be much of improvement?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vista 32bit in 64bit machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vista 32bit in 64bit machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
since you're asking

In reply to: Vista 32bit in 64bit machine

probably not. vista 64 with 4gb+ ram is well suited for certain apps like professional cad/design.

Collapse -
Iffy.

In reply to: Vista 32bit in 64bit machine

So far, for home use I'm suggesting 32bit till drivers and more catch up. It's bad enough getting Vista drivers for most items and Vista 64 raises the bar again.

If your gear can run Vista 64 and you don't mind doing the extra research then go with Vista 64.
Bob

Collapse -
multitasking

In reply to: Iffy.

well i do a lot of multi tasking and have 3 monitors hooked up to it and usually have World of Warcraft on one,WMC,and a website on the third and its starts getting slow but my cpu usuage is hardly at half. Its a Pentium EE. Also i have two Nvidia 6800's. Could I put a third video card in would that help? I have a ATI Radeon sumthin.

Collapse -
Haven't seen any diff on multitasking.

In reply to: multitasking

At it's core its the same OS and the kernel is behaving the same. There are some added features and quirks but the bottom line is going to be if you can collect all the needed drivers. While I like the 64 bit versions of today's OS offerings the brutal reality is we can't use it if a driver is missing.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.