General discussion

vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit clean install problems

I had Vista 32 bit and purchased the windows 7. I did a custom install of windows 7 64 bit. The instal etc went fine I updated drivers and my bios is updated however on vista my performance scores are 5.3. The lowest score is disk tranfer rate @ 5.3, everything else is 5.9. On windows 7 I cants get it to perform and rating and it locks up when it gets to assessing disk part towards the end. The whole system isnt running well. I am not sure if there is something I am missing being that I have never did a 64 bit install. Maybe I misread something in posts and my system isnt compatible. I appreciate any help you can give me. I have:

gateway fx530xm
Intel Core 2 Quad Cpu 2.66 Ghz
4 Gig ram
2 - 250 hard drives

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit clean install problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit clean install problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
We covered the Intel items at this recent discussion.

I was surprised that my d4999t and d5000 (hp quadcores) needed a Intel

- Collapse -
did driver updates

I didnt count on windows update for the drivers. I went to the manufactures websites and updated the 64 bit drivers. I cant not figure out what the problem is. I also did a bios update yesterday that went fine yesterday but still a problem. From what I read my system can handle easily the windows 7 64 bit.

- Collapse -
(NT) How about that Intel item?
- Collapse -
did it

yes i did all the intel updates including that one. so frustrating considering I did the windows 7 update advisor and in the 64 bit it said the only thing I needed to do was update graphics driver yea right. Have to go back to vista if I cant figure it out.

- Collapse -
Then all I can add is

That I had to give the fresh install a week for 7 to finish indexing. It's a shame they didn't delay that so folk wouldn't feel the impact on a fresh install.

IF you did the drivers "the old fashioned way" then there is not much to offer here. If you installed some old toxic combo like spybot's teatimer and other long list of items I can't write here then you see the machine lag.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I didnt know that it took a week to index, wow. I have not even installed any programs yet so i know it isnt a conflict with any of that. Maybe I will re-install and give it a little to see if the bugs work out. Thank you for all your help. If you think of anything else please let me know.

CNET Forums

Forum Info