The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Visiting San Francisco

by z3ro1 / March 13, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

The wife wants to go visit San Francisco and I was wondering what is the must do stuff down there?

I want to check out the Japanese Tea Garden‎, Ripley's Believe It or not Museum‎, Golden Gate Park and find the Full House house and In-N-Out Burger.

Isn't there some sort tech museum there?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Visiting San Francisco
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Visiting San Francisco
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alcatraz
by satoauto / March 13, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Visiting San Francisco

Alcatraz, redwwod forests, take a segway tour (very cool), pier 39. My wife hadn't been there either, so we saw all these things few years ago (even have a video in my site). Ho tech museums I know about, but there is a nearby Intel museum in San Jose.

Collapse -
Thanks
by z3ro1 / March 13, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Alcatraz

I am defiantly down for a segway tour and Alcatraz. Someone I know just mentioned going on a wine tour.

Collapse -
We're non drinkers
by satoauto / March 13, 2008 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

so a wine tour has little appeal for us. We visited several pizza joints though Wink because these have huge appeal to me...

Rememberer to make your Alcatraz reservations early - errr now. These tend to sell out a few weeks in advance. I was tempted to try the night tour, if they're still offered you might look into that. There are also walking "Ghost Tours" that are supposed to be interesting.

Aloha,
Colin

Collapse -
Heres a link to what we saw and did
by satoauto / March 13, 2008 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Same here.. via honeymoon in July
by Dawgfanclark / March 13, 2008 7:08 AM PDT

The soon-to-be-wife and I will be doing SF/Sonoma/Carmel in late July so I will be keeping up with this thread. We have gotten some advice and don't expect there to be a loss of things to do.

The funny thing is that when she brought up SF as an idea for our honeymoon local I got all stoked....and she got suspicious as I am NEVER supposed to be THAT happy about any of her ideas..

I told her we could visit all the places where they record many of the podcasts that I listen to regularly (I know, I know ya'll ain't gonna let me in the building..), etc, etc.. and she was like... uhhhhhhhh, nope. I wanna be a BOL and 1up rockstar! LOI

Anyways.. cool thread.

Collapse -
mmm....In N Out....mmm
by ktreb / March 13, 2008 10:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
some ideas
by 22.smith / March 15, 2008 5:14 PM PDT

The tech museum is in downtown San Jose (thetech.org). It's OK. Entertaining, but not a "must do" thing IMO.

I don't actually live in SAn Francisco, I live in the burbs, so I'm probably a pretty bad travel guide for SF, but that won't stop me, no sir. You should also know that I suffer from that "Why would anyone want to come here?" thing since I've been living here all my life, but I do admit that there are interesting things to see.

I'd scratch in-n-our off the top of your list. Frankly, I don't think that in-n-out is all that special. It's decent fast food, and it's the only fast food around here you'll find where the food is actually fresh, and not frozen. But it is still fast food. There are better burger joints all over the country. And it would be a serious culinary crime to come to a place with the variety of food choices we have here and eat a mediocre hamburger. (way off topic, but if you want a seriously good burger, go to Reno and get an "Awful-Awful" from the diner in the little nugget on Virginia street).

And Ripley's... srsly? I'd avoid it. In fact, I'd avoid it and Pier 39 altogether. They aren't much different that any other tourist trap location. Parts of Fisherman's wharf are entertaining... a little. Some of the old restaurants have some great old photos and things hanging on the walls. An odd but interesting way to get a little historical flavor.

The angel island tour is a good one too. I think sometimes they do combo tour deals with Alcatraz.

I think... if you are coming, you have to do a few touristy things. Take a ride on a cable car (bring cab fare with you, the cable car will probably break down Happy

You have to go to the golden gate bridge. Go park at Fort Point and walk across (or at least halfway across) the bridge. The views are cool, and walking it is kinda fun. Afterward (or before) you can tour fort point too.

You have to drive/walk down Lombard street.

Go get some Italian food at one of the North Beach restaurants that's been around for a hundred years.

Go to lands end and walk the trail back toward the GGB. It's a cool easy hike.

Consider going to the Exploratorium & Palace of Fine Arts.

Go stand on the NW corner of 4th & market and look down. You'll see a plaque that marks the former waterline of the bay. As you look off toward the bay, you see the skyscrapers (at least by west-coast standards) all build on landfill.

Go to Golden Gate Park. It's pretty cool.

Go visit Mission Dolores and learn a bit about the historically significant mission period in California History.

If you happen to be here when low tide is during daylight hours, head down the coast just a little and go tidepooling.

If you are a baseball fan, go see a game in Pac Bell park. It's an outstanding ballpark.

And if you want really, REALLY good views of San Francisco, go to Berkeley and drive up Grizzly Peak Road. In my highly biased opinion, there are no better views of SF to be had in the whole bay.

Anyhow, there are a bajillion cool things to do in SF without even leaving the city. No beachfront mai-tais under a coconut tree, but still, some things worth seeing and doing.

Oh... and definitely don't call it "Frisco." Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by Dawgfanclark / May 28, 2008 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: some ideas

Looks like we are going to be in SF July 17-19 range.. Getting married in St. Helena and then heading down to SF for a few days and then down to Carmel. Just hoping to take in as much local flavor as possible and if there is a BOL happy hour all the better.

We are ok with no beach as we usually do Cabo for Christmas (may be Hawaii this year.. shucks) and I am looking forward to my first trip to CA.

My current boss has a house he rents near St. Helena and I have told him if we don't come back I will rent it from him so it's not a total loss.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Honeymoon in September
by spynotebook / May 28, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

Thanks for all these suggestions. We are planning on being there the week of September 15 and are really hoping for some kind of BOL meetup since we have listened for a really long time.

Collapse -
(NT) C|Net!!! :P
by robstak / May 28, 2008 5:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
North Beach Pizza!
by mwaldyke / May 30, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

The first one, at the corner of Grant and Union. Still my favorite pizza place, and I haven't lived in the Bay Area for a long time. I visited about a month ago, and they're still up to standard!

You can walk there from Pier 39, though it's several blocks seriously uphill. It's also near a cable car route, so it could fit in with a cable car ride.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.