Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

VirusRemover2008 trouble

by Generalbri / September 27, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

Hi, I've recently been infected by the VirusRemover2008 rogue anti-virus program on my Windows XP. I've bought SpySweeper and PC Tools Spyware Doctor to try and get rid of this problem. The SpySweeper found nothing, but the Doctor program found the VR2008 files and deleted them, or so I thought.

I still get the popups and I've tried following guides to removing the DLL files, processes, and registry entries. I was able to end the process in the Windows Task Manager, but there is still no end to the popups. I tried finding the DLL files and entries, but I can't find ANY of them.

I've looked for other forums and posts over anyone else that may have had this problem, but I've seen none. I've tried McAfee scans and system restore (the restore doesn't finish for some reason). Been very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VirusRemover2008 trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VirusRemover2008 trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Virus Remover 2008
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 27, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
VirusRemover2008 Waisted 2 days to find how to kill it
by tempvisitor / October 6, 2008 3:23 PM PDT

I waisted 2 of my days to find how to kill that *******. Any recomendations such as "search for VirusRemover2008 file", just rubbish, and probably from companies created the virus, so you can buy their anti_virus programs. Any "FREE" programs you will download, 95% of the time will do a free scan, and then will ask for your money.
You will never find VirusRemover2008 under its name. It is hiding and has several names.
What I did, when popups will appear, open the task manager CNTL+ALT+DELETE, find the aplication which is running them and press "END TASK" Usually the messege will appear, something like " you program was closed, would you like to send a messege to...", LOOK at the name of the program in this popup. That will be the name of your virus. On my computer it was b.exe. Then go to search, select advanced option, select search including all hidden files. That is how you can find the location where it is hidding.

The virus can jump from name to name a.exe, c.exe and so on.
Go to window_task_manager again CNTRL+ALT+Delete and press the second button PROCESSES. Here you can see all the programs running on you computer. You can select the program for example b.exe, press END PROCESS. Now you can go back and delete it from the location where it is hidding. I had to do it several times, as virus been changing names.

Good luck

Collapse -
There are some programs you can trust
by BritAlb / January 13, 2009 9:25 AM PST

Hi everyone,

Killing processes is not enough - there may be other hidden files. There are a few free programs out there you can trust, though:

Malwarebytes' Antimalware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

SUPERAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

And if you are a bit more technically inclined:

Combofix
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Rootkits and trojans can be tracked down and eliminated. The programs above can be trusted, and sites that recommend them (like bleepingcomputer.com) can also be trusted.

(Assuming you trust me. But how could you not? I'm so clearly without gile. ;))

Good luck,

Brit

Collapse -
Spyware and virus
by mimitu / October 6, 2008 9:19 PM PDT

My computer has been permanently crippled. Should format the hard disk or I should get a good anti-spyware to remove these little devils.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!